Learn more

Appalachian Trail: Newfound Gap to Sweat Heifer Creek Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(149)
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail: Newfound Gap to Sweat Heifer Creek Trail is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 3.3 miles Elevation Gain: 862 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A few open spots but mostly treed

First time doing this trail and it was pretty hard for me but we r new beginner hikers! Around .7 miles in u get some really great views! We were about .1 to the junction but rain was moving in so wanted to beat the rain! All and all it was a short challenging hike for me but I would do it again!

Cool to be on the AT, but little to no views. Kind of disappointing. Pretty muddy & icy in early May

Nice trail with the best views near Newfound Gap. Very rocky in places and somewhat slippery when wet.

icy

Beautiful views along the way. About 1.3 miles in there’s quite a bit of ice on the trail. Had to turn back as I didn’t have any crampons . Young women fell about 2 miles in due to the ice and hurt her wrist. Thankfully, she wasn’t by herself and was heading to the ER .

Had to cut the hike short due to ice. Still a great trail.

There is thick ice on the trail approximately 0.7 miles in and we had to turn back because we didn't have any spikes. But the distance we managed to walk was totally worth it because just before the ice started the views were great :)

icy

This trail was a lot of fun because it’s mostly rocks and tree roots on the trail, not a lot of flat walking. You do have to constantly watch your footing and it’s a pretty gradual incline most the way up. A lot of the trail was covered in ice, which made it a lot harder. I wish there had been some better views a little further up. There’s a nice clearing about 0.5 miles in and then it’s mostly wooded. I’d say unless you’re going on to the Jump Off or Charlie’s Bunion, stick to only going the first 0.5 mile.

Good hike just past where Sweat Heifer Trail comes in to connect to the AT. Crowded today, lots of hikers. Pretty rocky, you need proper hiking shoes. Steep at the beginning and levels off.

♥️beautiful!!

great little hike with some nice views. today all we saw were clouds, but still a nice hike.

Hiked this morning. Left about 8am and made it to the top about 9:30; back to the bottom about 10:30. Only saw two groups on the way up; lots of people heading up as we were coming down. I am pretty slow/out of shape but with some stops along the way we made it. It’s a steady incline the whole way, with lots of rocks and tree roots to navigate. Overall though, very well maintained and easy to follow. There was a lot of fog, so we didn’t see too much. The trail itself was neat; I’d do it again to try to make it the extra few miles to Charlie’s Bunyon if I was in better shape.

I can now say I did a sliver of the AT! It was peaceful, a bit challenging with some overgrown roots, and slightly uneven rock steps. It was short but not challenging at all. At times it felt a little eerie like something was watching me but it was nothing.

my first section of the AT trail I have set foot on, good hike

Steady incline on a good trail, very easy to follow. Beautiful forest and shaded all the way. Hiked with my dad and two teenage sons, we took our time going up and made several stops before we turned around at the Sweat Heifer trail loop (my oldest is a photographer). Went back down much quicker, 3.2 miles and we spent about 2 hours. Highly recommend!

This was a lovely trail! The trail was nice and wide which gave me great piece of mind traveling with a 1.5, 2.5, and 3.5 year old. It’s can be a little rocky in places but overall a nice, moderate incline of a trail. I loved the smells of Christmas and the cool air. I was surprised we didn’t run into more hikers with a packed parking lot. The only thing that could have made this better is an spectacular view from the top. The whole family loved this one!

Tue Jul 02 2019

Fun, moderate trail. It was raining hard when we hiked so we couldn’t see the beautiful views, but we still had fun. It gets pretty slick in some spots when raining so be careful.