Appalachian Trail: Fontana Lake to Mount Squires

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(13)
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Appalachian Trail: Fontana Lake to Mount Squires is a 15.3 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Townsend, Tennessee that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 15.3 miles Elevation Gain: 5,219 feet Route Type: Point to Point

Should probably be rated as more difficult than moderate, there’s a LOT of ascending you have to do. But it’s the AT and therefore easy to follow and will definitely give you great views of Fontana Lake and the Smokies themselves.

We just did the Fontana damn this morning ! Beautiful & WOW

Wed Apr 13 2016

The Smokeys, on my Thru-Hike, better known as the Suckes. The weather was less then ideal, rained sideways, cold less the snow. Pushed through them in 5 days instead of my planned 7. Loved IT! I'll hike them again, one day & that's not dependent on the weather. Great Views, if you could see them. Swirling clouds around Charlies Bunion and the weather broke on my last day.

Wed Feb 24 2016

Hiked from Fontana Dam to Waterville over 5 days back in the '70s. The views were spectacular! In a few years, right after I retire, I intend to continue at Waterville and go all the way to Maine.

Fri May 03 2013

This is a once in a lifetime experience!!! (Although I have done it a couple times) I left my car at Fontana Dam and got a ride to the north end. Wish I had brought a camera because it is a beautiful trail. Last time I was too early in the season for the blueberies and rhotodendrums but the views, nature, wildlife and the whole atmosphere is beauiful. My calves burned most of the way but other than that the trip was a joy. I must say that when I finally arrived at Fontana Dam I spent three nights in the motel and enjoyed their wonderful restaurant.

Fri Aug 19 2011

We hiked the portion from Hughes Gap to Cumberland Gap. We spent the first night in the old rangers cabin at Roan High Knob. It was a beautiful, amazing experience. I would love to do another portion of the trail when time and "life" allows.

Sat Jun 12 2010

We hike from Davenport Gap to Fontana Dam 72 Miles 5 days, other than alot of rain it was a great hike. The blue berries down from Spence Field Shelter hit the spot after 4 days of trail food. A must do!!!

Mon Jul 16 2018