Appalachian Trail: Davenport Gap to Max Patch

Appalachian Trail: Davenport Gap to Max Patch is a 13.3 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Browns, Tennessee that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

Point to Point

I completed southbound which is less climbing. There is a climb up to Snowbird Mtn regardless which direction, but for this section SB was best & has better views from Snowbird on. One could save themselves a lot of climbing and it is shorter to use the gravel roadway (Green Corner Rd) to/from the Pigeon River/I-40. There is also a false white trail blaze that leads to the Standing Bear Hostel. It takes u about 1/2 mile out of the way. Seems like a false attempt to get a hiker to go to that hostel.

Hiked NOBO from Standing Bear Farm Hostel to Max Patch. The first 4.5 miles were 2600 ft ascent at 11+ degree inclines. Water was good about 2 miles up. The descents into gaps can be rough especially with some muddy areas on the trail. The last few miles climbing out of Brown Gap Spring was rough after being exhausted because of the 14 degree incline out of there. The payoff reaching Max Patch made it all worth it!!! The sunsets and sunrises are spectacular. I pitched my tent up there and had an incredible night. Lots of day hikers will be there at night and in the morning to photograph and hang out since a car park is only a half mile from the summit. Highly recommend this jaunt. I did upload a pic of the sunset. Cheers!

Friday, October 21, 2016

Unbelievable view!

Monday, October 10, 2016

Ran 5.5 miles, saw a black bear, had a sit in the river when I finished. I had a blast!

Thursday, September 08, 2016

breath taking

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Max Patch is a moderate climb, over all. Camping is done below the hill top. The top is nice to air out the gear for Thru-hikers who stayed at Standing Bear Farm Hostel.

Monday, May 27, 2013

Awesome section hike to do this direction. Finishing at Max Patch is such a treat! The hike is challenging and is great to do with friends and a dog. The shelter 9.6ish miles in fills up by days end, but there are plenty of spots to set up a tent if you bring your own gear.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

This section of the Appalachian Trail is amazing. From the gap the trail follows the river for about 2 miles with several waterfalls. Very steep climb up to Snow Bird mountain but the view is well worth it. Best time of year to hike is in the spring since the forest and balds are covered in wildflowers. Max Patch is the most wonderful bald with grassy meadows. It's an old logging camp and homesteat with 360 degree views.

Sunday, August 08, 2010

I have hiked over 1500 miles of the Appalachian Trail and I must say this is one of my favorite sections. We had friends meet us at Max Patch with a picnic lunch. It is a moderate section with medium climbs. The best time of year to hike this section is in the spring.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

K is correct. The views here are indescribable and completely unbeatable. This is one of my favorite places to take my dog, who loves the room the run. The night sky from here is breathtaking, but be advised: take a jacket! Even on the warmest of nights, the altitude and wind can cause goose-bumps :P

Thursday, April 08, 2010

Haven't actually hiked this section of the AT, but Max Patch is a MUST SEE! I've taken some amazing photos there . . . and they still do the scenery very little justice. The hike to the top is steep, but short, and worth EVERY STEP! Once at the top, you can see 360 degree views of the surrounding mountains. I would am hoping to to camp there this summer, I hear the view of the night-sky is absolutely breath-taking!

Tuesday, June 13, 2017