Appalachian Trail: Carver's Gap to Yellow Mountain Gap

Appalachian Trail: Carver's Gap to Yellow Mountain Gap is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Roan Mountain, North Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail is marked with the AT white blaze and easy to follow. Begin at Carver's Gap and climb Round Bald. Descend into Engine Gap and then climb Jane Bald. After descending Jane Bald the AT turns left, there is a .5 mile side trail here to the summit of Grassy Ridge. Continue on the AT through the forest, there will be some switch backs, and the Stan Murray shelter will be reached at 3.7 miles. Continue down into Yellow Mountain Gap where the AT intersects with the Overmountain Victory Trail. Take the Overmountain Victory Trail to the right and you will arrive at The Overmountain Shelter in 0.3 miles. Once you're at the shelter you can stay the night or enjoy the hike back out to the trail head!

Description of this trail is a bit misleading. I was expecting it to be 10 miles round trip but it is actually 6.6 miles one way from Carver's Gap to the Stan Murray shelter. Went a little ways past that shelter before realizing we had definitely gone more than 5 miles and had to turn around. Never made it to the Overmountain shelter but it was almost all uphill on the way back and we were so exhausted we barely made it. Even so, we loved the views on the balds and the forest is also beautiful so once I have built up enough stamina for such a long hike I want to go back and do the whole 22 miles.

I did this hike in October with my dog. it was in the 40's and very windy, there was still a little ice on higher elevations so I'm glad I had his boots to tgo on him. It's one of the best hikes I've done as far as scenic views and lesser difficulty. It can get crowded with other day hikers but be selective in the day of week you go and that will help.
I loved this hike and will do it again, with my dog of course.

only 4 stars because of the number of day hikers.

The trail markings were excellent and so was trail condition (some thinning was needed and was being done). We went out in the fog, we hit all the balds, but visibility was next to nothing. Not the hikes fault, all Mother Nature. We started at Carvers Gap and went to Yellow Mountain Gap (the barn camping area). We tented in the field with a few other hikers. Best tent area I have been to in a while. Water was nearby, but don’t forget your filter, you have to get it out of a creek. The hike out the next day was spectacular! Very little clouds. We even crossed paths with a very large and curious black bear.

one of the most beautiful backpacking trips ever!

Great 360 degree views from the balds. Three unique surroundings- balds, thick wooded areas, and old forest.

This trail was filled with treasures! From the wildflowers to the 360 view, loved it!

One of my favorite places. A beautiful hike for all seasons.

These are some of the best views on the East Coast!! One of the best trails ever. Great spot for Astrophotography and camping.

Within the first couple hours of the hike, there are beautiful wide open views of the mountains however, my friend and I started quite early in the morning and it was so foggy we couldn't see anything till the hike back. Some parts are quite muddy, but the red barn shelter at the end also has some great views!

We didn’t actually do the whole hike due to time constraints, but going up and down the balds was cool and the views were unusually wide open for Eastern hiking. It was pretty muddy for much of the trail. But the views really were spectacular!

Saturday, August 05, 2017

CARVERS GAP is voted the most beautiful view along the AT by visitors year round ! The fog rolls in and out like a dragon causing you to feel like you are in the moors of Scotland. Whether you go for a day hike or make it an overnight backpacking and camping venture it is a hike you will remember always in your heart.

Saturday, March 18, 2017

great hike if you going to do it as a o e night camp . I suggest camp at over the mountain victory trail shelter is a big barn and a nice view . this trail has it all many great views. highly recommended

Saturday, March 18, 2017

One of the best in NC.

Monday, February 27, 2017

I do this hike every spring . I don't think this section will ever get old to me . it has everything you want on a hike. great views . and nice sections through the woods . and wide open section walking the ridge of mountain. 360 views on the balds

Monday, February 13, 2017

Big red barn or "over mountain shelter" was our destination. Beautiful variety and great views. Broke my shoes 2 miles in and made the rest of the 8 miles by the grace of duct tape. Groups of thru-hikers were at the barn but it wasn't uncomfortably crowded. Loved hearing their stories and waking up to that view.

Friday, October 21, 2016

One of the most beautiful sections of the AT.

Friday, September 30, 2016

A magnificent Western NC hike! Some portions are a little steep but the good thing is they do not last long, and you get constant downhill relief for all of the uphill stretches so it's not too bad on the legs. The balds are a sight to see and definitely take the short side trek to the Grassy Ridge. I also loved the short mix of forest in places.

Sunday, September 18, 2016

My wife and I, first time on the AT and this portion was outstanding! Met some great people on the way and camped near "the barn"! Great community there! We will definitely be back!

Friday, June 10, 2016

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Great hike. Well maintained.

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Beautiful views, steep in some areas, afterwards stop at Smoky Moubtain bakery for the best pizza ever!

Thursday, September 11, 2014

I have done this trail since I was young and continue to do it as an elderly not "mighty woman" recreational hiker. It is a beautiful hike with few uncomfortable stepping zones. A superb spring wildflower hike with ramps, fringed gentian (I think) beautiful wildflowers in abundance with rolling hill views. It goes up gently but relentlessly, and I can do it because I hike with unhurried people.

Monday, June 09, 2014

This was a great hike even though it was overcast the entire time and heavily clouded at the top which didn't make for great pictures of the scenery. This was a very strenuous hike, even more so than Margarette Falls which is rated 2 diamonds. It took me 4 hours although I was only able to track the way there before running out of battery. The way back is much easier than the way there and of course your could always continue on to the other Balds or even to Carvers Gap. FYI, I passed multiple AT hikers who were looking for water sources while on this section of the AT.

Saturday, March 22, 2014

The North Carolina stretch of the AT is a wonderful trip. In spite of a stretch of rough weather, the trail through the Smoky Mountains will be one of the better memories of my trek.

Sunday, October 06, 2013

A fantastic hike with incredible views and smells! I will have to go back.