Learn more

Appalachian Trail: 19E to Hump Mountain

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(113)
Cherokee National Forest

Appalachian Trail: 19E to Hump Mountain is a 10 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Roan Mountain, Tennessee that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options.

Length 10.0 mi Elevation gain 2,719 ft Route type Out & Back
Photos (441)
Recordings (112)
Completed (296)
vishalbars132 vishalbars132
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 26, 2020
View vishalbars132's Recording
Katelyn Smithberger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 23, 2020
Hiking

I was really intrigued why there were so many ratings and it was still 5 stars — but after doing it I can honestly say it meets those expectations. It was absolutely beautiful from start to finish. I would rate it definitely moderate to hard — the incline is rough to get through at points. But overall I never felt lost or didn’t know where I was going, and the views are Breathtaking. Do not miss this hike. I drove 6 hours to try this one out, and not disappointed! I took my German Shepherd with me, and he did perfect, no issues with dogs .

Neil Hoover
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 20, 2020
HikingGreat!

Nice trail for an overnight. Campsite and water at the state line. Last water to peak is about 3.5 miles in. You’ll want to fill up if planning to stay on the peak. I agree with the moderate rating. Will wear you out but not as tough as if coming from Carver’s gap

Bob Woodall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 15, 2020
View Bob's Recording
Kelly van Bronkhorst
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 7, 2020

Amazing!

View Kelly's Recording
Susan Martoccia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2020
HikingGreat!Rocky
View Susan's Recording
Randy Daly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 5, 2020
View Randy's Recording
Kelly van Bronkhorst
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 4, 2020

gorgeous! quiet!

View Kelly's Recording
kyle walker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 30, 2020
View kyle's Recording
Greg Royster
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 29, 2020
Hiking

Awesome trail. We went during a rain storm and was buddy but the views were amazing once the storms cleared.

View Greg's Recording
Ed G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 24, 2020
HikingGreat!Rocky

Absolutely great hike, tho I would rate it harder than moderate. Significant part of elevation is over boulders which are pretty slick when wet. Poles are essential, especially for descent. Well maintained Trail is mostly forested with a few nice views until reaching bald area for last mile or so which is spectacular. Only encountered 4 other people.

View Ed's Recording
Hannah Ledford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 13, 2020
Hiking

The first four miles or so are through well-covered forest. The mile before the summit goes across a ridge line with gorgeous views. Trail is well maintained but rocky and would be very slippery when wet. It’s well marked as well. The forest is very cool on the way up, but if you like to be able to look out I’d recommend starting on the North Carolina side and doing the Overmountain trail to Hump Mountain route. My Strava recorded about 5.5 miles to the top, 11 mile total round trip.

Crystal Sigsbey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 12, 2020

Lovely trail however it’s actually 14 miles to Hump Day MTN

John Feeney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2020

Very nice, 5.5 from 19e parking area

View John's Recording
Skip Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 25, 2020
Hiking

Very fun, well maintained trail, the first half from the highway is mostly uphill, but the beautiful scenery, wildlife and large variety of flowers and other plants make it worth it. Got the pleasure of watching two juvenile screech owls in the tree canopy, unfortunately our day hike was cut short due to a thunderstorm. We will definitely be revisiting this trail.

View Skip's Recording
Brian Stahl
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020
HikingGreat!

great trail used to train for longer bigger hikes. incline was very steady. seems trail could get muddy after rainfall. lots of good campsites on this sections. will probably do again from other side as an overnight because top was fogged in.

View Brian's Recording
Jonathan Burlison
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 12, 2020
Running

3000’ vertical over 6 miles to the summit of Hump Mt, worth the challenge.

View Jonathan's Recording
S C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 27, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

Enjoyed this trail even though it rained the whole time. Measured 11 miles, not 10. Passed maybe 12 or 15 people out and back. A steadfast cloud at the mid and higher elevations obliterated views but it was neat in and of itself. Maybe it’s because of the lack of views but my arrival at Hump Mtn was anticlimactic after so much climbing. I’m in moderate shape and this was my first big hike after having a baby. I did it solo and felt pretty safe. It was challenging. Saw several campsites early on and then more where the AT crosses the NC/TN line. I didn’t stop anywhere and snacked while walking. Parking area roadside had 4 cars when I got there at 08:30 and way more when I got back at ~13:30. I’d like to try this again on a clear day.

Kelsey Stout
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 10, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful hike. A little strenuous - would rate as moderately strenuous. Awesome area for camping and a place to get water up too before you cross into NC. Visibility can be low with fog at times (both times I’ve been have been rainy/blustery) but still awesome views. Windy during January & March months when I hiked/camped. Definitely recommend this hike!

Charlie Kilo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 27, 2020
Hiking

What an amazing hike. I feel like every where I looked I was in awe. Just beautiful. Direct incline for the first 5.5 miles. A couple sections that were very rocky with some medium and large size boulders to maneuver. The views from the top are simply breathtaking. It’s a tough hike because of the constant incline for the first 2-2.5 hours but I would do it over and over again. Met some friendly people on the trail. Not heavily trafficked at all. Camp sites scattered throughout.

View Charlie's Recording
Jonathan Avans
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 11, 2020
HikingMuddy
View Jonathan's Recording
John Wilber
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 29, 2020
Hiking

Did an in and out hike to Hump in one day. Trail was great. Only one spot we got confused at where trail wasn’t marked that great. A few steep parts going up but nothing hard. Both my girls even made it.

Brett Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 22, 2020
HikingMuddy

Great trail with great views. Multiple camping sites. Hump mountain was covered with clouds so I didn’t get see it’s views. Need to return.

View Brett's Recording
Athena Burton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 16, 2020
HikingIcyMuddyRocky

This trail was absolutely beautiful!!!! My boyfriend and I are from Fl with no elevation obviously and came out to my family’s vacation house in Black Mountain, at the top of Catawba falls, for hiking and trail running. We both work out often but elevation is completely different. We tried a few easy trails over the last few days to get used to it; Lookout Trail, Catawba Falls, Graybeard Trail, Looking Glass Trail and Falls. After all of these the elevation felt so gradual I just waited to be at the top! I can’t stress the BEAUTY! 2 years sober and my 29th birthday has brought the best days of my life!

View Athena's Recording
Alex Petruzzello
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 3, 2020
HikingMuddyRockySnow

This hike had an amazing 360 view at the top. The hike up consisted of lots of elevation but was well worth the effort. When we got to about mile 2 there was 1-3 inches of snow. At mile 4 there was between 10-18 inches of snow at parts. It was very windy at the top as expected but I can not stress enough how beautiful it was... one of my favorite trails I have ever done. At mile 2 you cross the line between Tennessee and North Carolina which was very cool. Parking seemed confusing at first because there was only room for 2 cars at trail head... however, enough parking just across the street!