Amber's Den Ridge Trail

Amber's Den Ridge Trail is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sparta, Tennessee that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from January until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Amber's Den Ridge trail is 5 miles out and back located in Sparta, TN near Virgin Falls. Trail is good for all skill levels. There is an option to loop back to the trail head via gravel road. Wooded trail, creek crossing, and overlook of the Caney Fork River at Welch's Point. Amber's Den Ridge Line Trail is a new trail that is wooded, mostly following a creek with the pinnacle being the overlook at Welch's Point. This trail is located inside a Wildlife Management Area. Please check with the TWRA at http://www.tn.gov/twra/wmas.html for rules and regulations. Area is generally closed during big game season.

Amazing lookout in the middle of the loop, a civil war cemetery, crossing a riverbed and overlooking a small waterfall. This trail had a little bit of everything. Will definitely do this hike again for the overlook alone!

This is a hike to a rocky outcropping and beautiful panoramic overlook of the pristine valley, Caney Fork River, and the surrounding plateau. To get to the trailhead, drive past the main Virgin Falls trailhead and turn right on Welch's Cemetary Rd, and then take a left at the fork. There isn't really much of a parking area at the trailhead, which is marked by a gate with red and blue reflectors, so we just parked at the gate. The trail up is pleasant, especially after you turn left off the old log road and wind along the stream bank under Mountain Laurel. We completed the loop back down on the gravel road, but next time I'd return the way I came; the gravel road is hot and dusty (though framed by pretty meadows and pine trees). The only downside of this trail is the slight bummer of hiking to an overlook that other people are driving to, but hey they missed the best part after all.

Perfect way to spend Mother's Day with my daughter. We plan to do this again in the fall. The view should be spectacular then.

I had a great hike. the view was spectacular.

Okay, so I'm thinking half of the reviewers didn't begin at the correct trail? We just did this trail yesterday and oh my, the trail and the overlook were SPECTACULAR! So let's clear up the confusion now to avoid terrible ratings due to not even being on the actual trail. You drive down Scott's Gulf Rd and immediately after the Virgin Fall trailhead, you take the road on the right (Welch's Cemetary rd). You drive a small bit and there is a gravel pull-off on the left hand side. Not sure how there was confusion as Google Maps leads you right to here. There are two poles, a red and blue stating foot traffic only. This is the beginning of the trail. The trail itself is very well-marked. The blazes are little metal reflective circles with hikers on them. Also, hikers have contributed to rock cairns at the spots you turn on the trail. Major tip- Look for the blazes, as there are little side trails that aren't part of the trail. The first part is not spectacular, just an old logging road you take for over a mile. THEN, you turn left and go into a beautiful almost magical part of the forest following a cascading creek and overlook to a pretty big waterfall below. Keep going; when you start ascending the mountain, you're getting close. Make sure to keep RIGHT at the sign that says Amber's Den Ridge Trail; DO NOT go left to "Amber's Den". Keep going straight across the gravel rd through the red gate.The overlook comes 400 feet from here. We had the entire trail and overlook to ourselves and it was lovely. We hammocked and watched the sunset. You can take the gravel Rd back to the parking area (1.8 miles) -- I definitely recommend this if it's getting dark. Whomever said there was no wildlife is mistaken. We saw 3 dear leaping through the forest, 4 turkeys fighting, a possum or raccoon in the dark as we were getting in the car, and lots of pretty wildflowers and centipedes as well as mushrooms. **If you do not have a few hours and want to skip the trail to see only the overlook, you can drive to the dead end of Welch Rd and park for the 400 foot walk to the overlook (Welch's Point). However, the hike is amazing and probably 75% of the excitement of this trail.

Tons of spider webs, recent forest fire so NO wildlife and much of the foliage was destroyed. Good elevation changes and lots of different terrain though. Make sure you find the old Civil War Cemetery! It was the coolest part. The overlook at the end was (mostly) worth the lack of scenery on the way.

This "trail" is extremely confusing. There were no visible signs indicating the direction for Amber's Den. We ended up at the river following a TWRA officer's instructions for the loop and realized we weren't even on the "trail." It wasn't until the way up we found a small sign about 15 foot up a tree indicating which direction to go. Welches Point was definitely the best part of the day, great outlook. Amber's Den on the other hand didn't work out to well for our group.

Okay.... so my friend and I decided to do Welches Point first since it was really quick and we will never go back. I don't know if it was the 12 mile gravel road, the fact that we didn't see one person anywhere or the fact that we heard funky noises throughout the woods the whole time... but it was creepy. Don't go here alone! And send someone your location to be safe.

Well where do I start! We never found the outlook but we did find a body of water that was at the bottom of the mountain which is a 2 mile drop. The drop is very steep and the incline according to my Fitbit is the same as climbing 73 flights of stairs on the way back up! I would say the trail was definitely moderate to difficult at times. When we finished we had completed 4.17 miles but we went back up the same way we came down! We didn't see any adjoining trails to come back around and if there was any they were not marked! It was a great work out but not much to see! It needs better markings or signage for the way to go for the bluff! I probably won't do it again but I got my 10000 steps in and had fun with my friends! Even the dog was exhausted and kept laying down in the way back up the mountain! Hahah

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Monday, February 29, 2016

Monday, February 22, 2016

Great trail. The trailhead is a bit confusing though. When you pull off Welch's Point Rd to the dead end (and park on the side of the "road") you'll notice a sign stating you must go on foot from this point forward. While it would be great if there were a trail sign here denoting Amber's Den Ridge or likewise, it was not to be. Once you begin down the trail you'll soon realize it's an old logging road which you'll follow for close to a mile. Eventually you'll see the trailhead sign directing you to deviate from the logging trail off to the left. This is where this trail truly begins to shine. Beautiful creekside hiking/crossings as well as overlooks and a waterfall. Perhaps the best part of the whole hike is that I didn't see another soul the entire time I was on the trail. I will certainly be visiting again soon.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can visit Welch's Point without the hike by following the road to its end. A little disappointing but no big deal.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Great

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Monday, May 25, 2015

We had a hard time finding this trail. When we found the footpath through the logging area I wasn't sure if it was the correct place, but we just kept walking. Eventually we found the sign for Ambers Den Ridge trail and turned left. The actual trail was very pretty, and lots to see. We found the first overlook, and then turned back. (We didn't realize that wasn't the main overlook, but it had a beautiful view anyway). We will probably go back soon and walk farther to find Welch's Point. Nice hike, but I don't think this is for everyone, I would consider it a moderate trail.

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

A pretty nice and quick trail with a great view from Welch's Point which can also be driven to via a gravel road. The trail starts out fairly flat via an old access road which is common in this area. On this day in late September high trees and a large, high canopy kept the better part of the hike in shade and there were plenty of cool breezes. As others have mentioned the trail has a very nice creek crossing and a small waterfall can be seen from the trail as it follows the ridge of a gulf. The track I uploaded from this day includes the loop back via the gravel road. There is really nothing to see by returning this way and I suggest going back the way you came unless you want to visit the small roadside Welch's cemetery which has some very old graves including a Civil war veteran grave site. I believe this would make a very nice fall hike and plan on returning once fall colors start to appear.

Friday, May 16, 2014

This is a great trail with a lot of all around hiking. Wet weather creeks, small waterfall, 2 overlooks. The Welch point overlook is one of the most beautiful overlooks I have ever seen. There is also a lot of wildlife on this trail, deer, wild hogs, birds, etc ... I have hiked this trail many times and always a great hike for beginner or veteran hikers. A must do !!

Friday, April 04, 2014

This is a new trail in the Bridgestone/Firestone Centennial Wilderness near Virgin Falls. It is an easy to moderate 5 miles with a couple of steep but short climbs. The trail follows an old 4 wheeler/logging road for about a mile before turning left and following the creek to view cascades and creek crossing. The trail goes up hill near the ridge line going to a gravel area. Go straight across the gravel parking area crossing yellow gate and follow to Welch's Point. There is an option to loop back to trail head via gravel road which is 1.8 miles.