Amber's Den Ridge Trail

Amber's Den Ridge Trail is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sparta, Tennessee that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from January until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Amber's Den Ridge Line Trail is a new trail that is wooded, mostly following a creek with the pinnacle being the overlook at Welch's Point. This trail is located inside a Wildlife Management Area. Area is generally closed during big game season.

Did this today with my boyfriend. It was easy to find via Google Maps. The trail head was marked by a gate with red and blue on it. There wasn't much for parking at the trail head so we just parked at the gate, directly in front of it.

If it wasn't for AllTrails app, we would have for sure gotten lost as this trail wasn't clearly marked all of the way through, though there were very occasional markers of a hiker on an orange circle.

Some parts were super easy, some parts were on the strenuous side. Some were quite steep, with a few big assents. To be honest, we're both in our early 30s, over weight, and inexperienced in regards to hiking. We got out of breath a few times but it was all doable, fun, and I never once felt like I couldn't handle it.

The first vista is okay. Great view but not a big opening. The second one, however, is quite grand. Almost breath taking.

The second vista can be assessed via a gravel road, so a few people drove up while we were there, but as far as the trail goes we only saw one other hiker the entire time.

The worst part to me was the gravel road you walk down after the second vista. It was hot, and boring.

5/5. Good practice for future hikes.

This is an awesome trail to hike, very low traffic and the overlook at the end is quite amazing. The trail leading up to the overlook is also a joy, nothing too difficult, although it does get narrow in some places. Lots of spider webs, used a stick to help break it up. Started the hike at 9am, bugs didn't get bad until around 11a. Saw a couple turkey along the way. At the overlook we came upon a rattlesnake so be aware of that. Only reason this gets a 4/5 is because there is a tight right turn in the trail at about 2.5 that isn't very well marked. We ended up following an ATV trail for an extra mile or so before realizing our mistake. Just know that the entire trail from beginning to the overlook is marked with little hikers pinned to trees. If you no longer see the hikers, you are no longer on the trail. Once we backtracked and found the markers, we were good to go for the rest of the hike.

The views are amazing, especially in the fall. This trail has much less traffic, too, which makes for a relaxing, solitary experience. Definitely worth visiting. One point of caution: the trail isn't well-marked, so download a map in advance.

Took the wrong trail head...got lost and had to take an atv trail back to the main road. ran into wild hogs, somehow avoided getting attacked. Strange experience...

Amazing lookout in the middle of the loop, a civil war cemetery, crossing a riverbed and overlooking a small waterfall. This trail had a little bit of everything. Will definitely do this hike again for the overlook alone!

This is a hike to a rocky outcropping and beautiful panoramic overlook of the pristine valley, Caney Fork River, and the surrounding plateau. To get to the trailhead, drive past the main Virgin Falls trailhead and turn right on Welch's Cemetary Rd, and then take a left at the fork. There isn't really much of a parking area at the trailhead, which is marked by a gate with red and blue reflectors, so we just parked at the gate. The trail up is pleasant, especially after you turn left off the old log road and wind along the stream bank under Mountain Laurel. We completed the loop back down on the gravel road, but next time I'd return the way I came; the gravel road is hot and dusty (though framed by pretty meadows and pine trees). The only downside of this trail is the slight bummer of hiking to an overlook that other people are driving to, but hey they missed the best part after all.

Perfect way to spend Mother's Day with my daughter. We plan to do this again in the fall. The view should be spectacular then.

I had a great hike. the view was spectacular.

Okay, so I'm thinking half of the reviewers didn't begin at the correct trail? We just did this trail yesterday and oh my, the trail and the overlook were SPECTACULAR! So let's clear up the confusion now to avoid terrible ratings due to not even being on the actual trail. You drive down Scott's Gulf Rd and immediately after the Virgin Fall trailhead, you take the road on the right (Welch's Cemetary rd). You drive a small bit and there is a gravel pull-off on the left hand side. Not sure how there was confusion as Google Maps leads you right to here. There are two poles, a red and blue stating foot traffic only. This is the beginning of the trail. The trail itself is very well-marked. The blazes are little metal reflective circles with hikers on them. Also, hikers have contributed to rock cairns at the spots you turn on the trail. Major tip- Look for the blazes, as there are little side trails that aren't part of the trail. The first part is not spectacular, just an old logging road you take for over a mile. THEN, you turn left and go into a beautiful almost magical part of the forest following a cascading creek and overlook to a pretty big waterfall below. Keep going; when you start ascending the mountain, you're getting close. Make sure to keep RIGHT at the sign that says Amber's Den Ridge Trail; DO NOT go left to "Amber's Den". Keep going straight across the gravel rd through the red gate.The overlook comes 400 feet from here. We had the entire trail and overlook to ourselves and it was lovely. We hammocked and watched the sunset. You can take the gravel Rd back to the parking area (1.8 miles) -- I definitely recommend this if it's getting dark. Whomever said there was no wildlife is mistaken. We saw 3 dear leaping through the forest, 4 turkeys fighting, a possum or raccoon in the dark as we were getting in the car, and lots of pretty wildflowers and centipedes as well as mushrooms. **If you do not have a few hours and want to skip the trail to see only the overlook, you can drive to the dead end of Welch Rd and park for the 400 foot walk to the overlook (Welch's Point). However, the hike is amazing and probably 75% of the excitement of this trail.

Tons of spider webs, recent forest fire so NO wildlife and much of the foliage was destroyed. Good elevation changes and lots of different terrain though. Make sure you find the old Civil War Cemetery! It was the coolest part. The overlook at the end was (mostly) worth the lack of scenery on the way.

This "trail" is extremely confusing. There were no visible signs indicating the direction for Amber's Den. We ended up at the river following a TWRA officer's instructions for the loop and realized we weren't even on the "trail." It wasn't until the way up we found a small sign about 15 foot up a tree indicating which direction to go. Welches Point was definitely the best part of the day, great outlook. Amber's Den on the other hand didn't work out to well for our group.

Okay.... so my friend and I decided to do Welches Point first since it was really quick and we will never go back. I don't know if it was the 12 mile gravel road, the fact that we didn't see one person anywhere or the fact that we heard funky noises throughout the woods the whole time... but it was creepy. Don't go here alone! And send someone your location to be safe.

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Well where do I start! We never found the outlook but we did find a body of water that was at the bottom of the mountain which is a 2 mile drop. The drop is very steep and the incline according to my Fitbit is the same as climbing 73 flights of stairs on the way back up! I would say the trail was definitely moderate to difficult at times. When we finished we had completed 4.17 miles but we went back up the same way we came down! We didn't see any adjoining trails to come back around and if there was any they were not marked! It was a great work out but not much to see! It needs better markings or signage for the way to go for the bluff! I probably won't do it again but I got my 10000 steps in and had fun with my friends! Even the dog was exhausted and kept laying down in the way back up the mountain! Hahah

Saturday, May 14, 2016