Maddron Bald Trail to Albright Grove Loop

Maddron Bald Trail to Albright Grove Loop is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cosby, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

old growth

Good: Very quiet! Only saw one other small group the whole trek. Very well maintained. Interesting cabin, stream crossing, impressive large old tree once you get up to the loop.
Not so good: A bit rocky. Quite buggy (it's August, so maybe a given). No great open views.

Mostly we loved the quiet but felt it was a bit long and difficult for what we got to see.

very good trail. it was my first overnighter. it's all uphill. it was too much for me and my dad we had to turn back. it was good. but for a first trail it was horrible.

Well maintained. it was up hill all the way to campsite 29. ugh but there was a creek that rushed by all night. no bears visible here. clean camp site

Cyndi and I enjoyed this one very much. No one on the trail all the way up! Beautiful flowers, wildlife, and old massive trees. Quiet, only sounds we're birds and rushing water. Lots of photo ops here.

A very quiet trail for those seeking more nature and less traffic. The trail is an easy uphill grade on a wide gravel path until Albright Grove, then becomes a narrow track, still uphill, for a few more miles to campsite 29. Above the grove there are a few streams to ford -- clogs or flip-flops come in handy -- and the trail is barely a foot wide for the last mile or so. The campsite is lovely, secluded, quiet -- Otter Creek is right there for water, bear cables are working well. This was my first real hike so I can't compare it to anything else, but it's a great walk, obviously not too difficult for a novice like me, but still rewarding in the relative isolation and moderate challenge. For those who don't want to leave their car at the trailhead, parking is available at the Imagination Mountain Camp Campground nearby.

I hiked this on April 21st. I have hiked many different trails in the GSM NP but this one has the highest variety of plant life of any trail I've been on so far. Trillium were blooming that were as big as dinner plates. There aren't many views and only one major stream so it's a quiet hike for a lot of the time. I started about 0930 and only saw five or six people. There is a section of the trail that is just beautiful. After several miles of slow and steady, not tough, uphill trail, the trail levels out for about a quarter mile. It curves gently around with rhododendron along the uphill side and a nice forest on the downhill slope that doesn't have much undergrowth. It's just a very nice break from the uphill for a while. Albright Grove is a nice one mile loop. There are huge old growth trees on this loop. There aren't many and it seems like many are dying. But they are very big.

It was so amazing, and hit the mark of what we wanted. Not too difficult, yet long enough to keep the city slickers away. Saw maybe 20 people over 3+ hrs, none while at the bridge. We found salamanders in the cool streams and loved the old growth.... Kinda surprised in the lack of wildlife, besides squirrels it was like a ghost town. Hoping for some turkeys, deer, or possibly beer but even tracks were sparse. When you can explore without others watching it makes it somehow extra special.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Long upward ascent to the falls and the bridge. Take your time and enjoy the quietness. The trail was nicely maintained but the actual Albright Loop was very narrow and thick with foliage, think deer trail at this point. I was the only person on the trail for three hours and it wasn't til I was almost finished others showed up.