Abrams Falls Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Townsend, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Abrams Fall is a popular waterfall with a 25 foot drop over a rocky cliff beside it. The trail is well maintained. It does have a few spots with roots and rocks. The trail gets a lot of use. Expect other hikers. At certain times of the year, it will be extremely crowded.

God this was the trail that led to my first view of a waterfall. Waterfall was breathless and worth the hike. However park ranger told us it was pretty easy hike, but my friend and I were struggling. Then again we weren't used to the altitude. Also lots of inclines, definitely not for beginners. Plenty of people hiking on trail which made me feel safe.

Wife & I made this our first stop in Cades Cove to beat the crowds while everyone else was exploring the 3 churches. Large parking lot with 2 pit toilets at trailhead.
This hike was quite enjoyable on a beautiful autumn day, and the falls themselves were impressive. The trail stays close to Abrams Creek much of the way, which makes the hiking all the more pleasurable.
The path is broad and smooth most of the time. On the way to the falls, the trail makes 4 crossings of feeder streams on sturdy footlogs. Although this hike could probably be done in sneakers, hiking boots with good ankle support are perhaps a better choice.
Recommend the side trip to the Elijah Oliver Place – interesting cabin and outbuildings.
As always, carry – and drink – plenty of water, and take some energy snacks (or lunch) to enjoy at the falls before heading back to the trailhead. Even though much of this trail is shaded, sunscreen is never a bad idea. And since the trail is near the creek much of the time, bug spray is advisable during the warmer months.
Highly recommend driving Rich Mountain Road out of Cades Cove. It’s a winding forest road with awesome views! And dinner at one of Townsend’s restaurants is a nice alternative to the craziness of downtown Gatlinburg.

Day after Thanksgiving, not too crowded. I have heard the trail can get busy. It was just the right moderate for after turkey day.

One of my favorite trails. I did not like all the bear jams along Cade’s cove though. Took a long time to get out of the park. But we’ll worth it. Saw a total of 16 bears mostly mammas with their cubs. Wild turkey. The biggest red headed woodpecker I ever saw and bunch of deer. Great day.

Beautiful trail! Longer than expected, but worth it. There were down trees, and a lot of rocks and roots, so you have to be cautious. The waterfall was beautiful, and I’ll never forget it. My boyfriend proposed at the fall. What’s not to love?

We parked in Cable Mill Visitor Center lot and trekked an extra mile to this trailhhead. The trail starts out easy and gradually gets more technical. There are lots of rocks, but the falls make it so worth it! Beautiful waterfall and amazing fall foliage this time of year!

Beautiful hike. Much longer than expected. Lots of rocks and roots, not a wise choice for elderly or out of shape persons.

Love this trail! Beautiful views and so rewarding when you get to the falls.

This hike seems to be on every “Top 10 Hikes of the Smokies” list and with that kind of recognition comes the crowds. Abrams Falls trail is moderate in length and elevation gain which also contributes to its popularity. It’s a “roller coaster” type hike with a lot of ups and downs, but mostly trending down to the falls with all of the elevation gain coming on the way back. As a rule, I do not generally love hikes that are uphill on the way back. That combined with the crowds, noise and unfulfilled high expectations left me disappointed. It is a pretty trail and a pretty waterfall, but with so many beautiful waterfall trails in GSMNP, I definitely wouldn’t do this one again.

id give this hike a 4/10 for difficulty. there isnt too much to look at on the way but the falls are beautiful.
on a side note: you have to take a one way road to get to the trail and you cant pass so you are at the mercy of the cars in front of you to keep going. there were lots of deer and turkeys in the meadows and people would stop in the middle of the street, halting traffic for their pictures. it took 30 minutes to go 3 miles and its the only way to get there

I have hiked this trail many times. It is considered moderately difficult... many rocky and rooty areas. As you walk in ..3 hills and as you walk out 3 hills.
Beautiful waterfall but swimming near the falls is very dangerous.., several deaths here.
If hiking in warm/hot weather, take water.

Awesome trail! Good views, not too difficult.

Nice hike...tricky at times. Beautiful waterfall!

Beautiful trail, Lots of traffic. It was my first experience hiking the Smokies. I would be happy to do this trail again!! It would be fun to do in the fall.

Croweded but it’s a nice hike.

Crowded but a nice hike.

Very nice trail. Worth the hike to see the falls. Did this with my 5 year old and I only had to carry him towards the end :) easy enough for kids in good shape.

Beautiful hike today! Right at the beginning of the trail where the first bridge is, we saw three river otters! What a treat! We went early enough to not have too much traffic and to get a good parking space. Go early! The hike is easy enough but I'd say it is moderate and could be hard for some.

We visited this past Sunday. Bring water, snacks, camera, and appropriate foot wear. I should note: a guy we past seemed very creepy. He was hiking solo and I kept turning back to make sure he was not following us. Please make sure you have someone with you. Very beautiful hike both ways. A bit challenging coming back, but well worth the hike. The waterfall was very crowded and I seen a lot of people swimming in the calm waters area. Also people getting very close to the edge where the waterfall was. Very nervous about that. If you have children, make sure to take small breaks throughout this hike, because they will get tired quickly. Overall, I will come back.

Definitely moderate coming out and easy going in. Rocky, take appropriate footwear. Gorgeous falls. Dangerous, please don’t swim here - do a little research before hiking this trail!

Well defined trail, wet at times but not really muddy. Very heavy on traffic. A lot of people like to hang out at the falls, but it was still enjoyable on a Thursday afternoon during the shoulder season.

Beautiful! I am a beginning again hiker. It has been decades since I hiked. This was the longest trail I’ve done so far. I enjoyed the hike so much. It was tough but I survived. It had the water flowing parallel with the trail. It had some steep hills both ways and of course the hardest was the uphill after the waterfall visit. The waterfall was beautiful. There were a lot of families so it’s great family time. Bring band-aids because someone is sure to scrape something playing on the boulders.

Good hike, moderate hills, descents, and flat sections. Falls and pool below falls is great reward. Decent crowds but not annoyingly so.

Amazing hike! Easy if you are a prepared hiker. Next time we'll spend more time hanging out at the falls. Added challenge was carrying 35lbs of wiggly toddler and pack.

Well we were feeling ambitious after doing the 10-mile Cades Cove loop so we decided to hike the Abrams Falls Trail with our son. We might have bitten off more than we could chew as several times I debated carrying my 5-year-old the last two miles of the hike. The first leg of the trail was amazing offering great views of the stream below, climbing and dropping in elevation several times and finally offering a nice place to rest at the falls. It was a summer day so it was warm on the hike but the falls provided a nice cool breeze. All in all I would still do it again in the future. Just be prepared and bring plenty of WATER!!!

Abrams Falls Trail is a moderate 45-50 minute there and back hike along Abrams Creek in the Cades' Cove section of Great Smoky Mountains National Park. At roughly only 700 feet of elevation gain the hike only has a few somewhat strenuous climbs. There is also plenty of opportunities to access Abrams Creek at the many pools that form along it's bank along the 3.5 mile hike. When you reach the falls there's plenty of access points to the large pool at the base of the falls which can accommodate a large number of visitors as this is one of the most popular waterfalls accessible to Knoxville. Climbing on the falls in discouraged for good reason as most of the rock faces are extremely slick. The pool is deep enough to swim in and gradually deepens nearer the base of the falls. However, due to current created by the cascading water, I don't recommend jumping in or swimming too close to the falls themselves because of current's pull back toward the base of the falls. This is definitely one of the most picturesque waterfalls in Smoky Mountain National park so understandably it can be crowded on weekends and it's best enjoyed earlier in the day before the sun is behind the tree line.

nice hike. just to many yuppies u gotta getta off trail to really enjoy

Very nice moderate hike, nice water falls at the end. Careful if you are not in shape, take your time, but not a tough hike overall.

great trail. has a good amount of challenging sections and it's beautiful when you get to the falls.

My first hike in Tennessee! I wish that waterfall was little bit taller for round trip of 5.5 miles. enjoyed the hike, and beautiful waterfall