Abrams Falls Trail

Abrams Falls Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Townsend, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 629 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Abrams Fall is a popular waterfall with a 25 foot drop over a rocky cliff beside it. The trail is well maintained. It does have a few spots with roots and rocks. The trail gets a lot of use. Expect other hikers. At certain times of the year, it will be extremely crowded. Note: The park closes the Cades Cove Loop Road to motor vehicle traffic on Wednesday and Saturday mornings until 10:00 a.m., between early May and late September of each year, to allow cyclists and pedestrians to enjoy the cove.

Great hike, I would definitely agree with the moderate rating, maybe close to hard mainly due to the inclines and rocky surface. We came across several turkeys and a pretty large rat or bull snake... the waterfall is definitely worth the hike. Great scenery the entire way.

This is a nice trail. The waterfall was really pretty and well worth the hike. There are loose rocks on the trail so hiking boots are prefered. There is an incline getting up to it but then most of the trail back is downhill. We walked it during summer and most of it was shadded from the trees also many people where swiming in the water. An added bonus is the drive through Cades Cove to get to the trail, it is a beautiful drive!

That was not a trail.It was a paved walk way. Easy for hikers. Waterfall was ok. Good for small children, elderly, and walkers.

The rumor is.... the pool beneath the falls is magical. If you take your shoes and socks off and soak your feet in the pool, it will put magic in your step and renew the juices of your soul. Pass it on

This is a great hike with a beautiful payoff at the end. The falls were flowing really nicely even at the beginning of September. There were a bunch of people out on the trail but it did not seem overly crowded. My ankle has been giving me trouble lately and this hike was not a problem. I think a moderate rating is acceptable. Definitely check out Abrams’ Falls is you have the chance while visiting the Smokey Mountains.

fun easy trail

Nice hike. With rocks and roots a pair of hiking boots will be better than tennis shoes. Beautiful falls and pool to swim. Look for a big white pine tree that you pass. And a tree with big roots to sit and rest after a climb.

Gorgeous waterfall at the end. Trail follows a river which is very nice. Lots of rocks and roots so watch where you walk!!

Very nice trail you can swim in the waterfall in the end there are some beautiful views along the way also

Good little walk in the woods. Great swimming hole.

Beautiful hike this morning. Got on the trail around 8:30 am and reach the falls by 9:45 am. You can either see or hear the river most of the way the there. There are at least 2 ascends before you get to the falls. Lots of roots and rocks on the trail.

Definitely a moderate trail with 2 major uphills and downhills. It’s rocky and lots of roots. Great swimhole and waterfall. Not shaded.at the falls but shady most of the way.

I hiked this with my Girl Scout troop. They are all 14 years old. We had a great time. There are a few tricky spots.

Beautiful hike except for all the trash and plastic bottles we encountered along the way (What’s wrong with people?) Trail is well rated at moderate and approx. 5 miles out and back. Some rocky parts and some roots but overall fine with appropriate hiking footwear. We saw a couple of snakes during the hike and one of the snakes was attempting to eat a large toad in the middle of the trail (see photos). A good hike in gorgeous Cades Cove. We saw a mother bear and a cub, lots of bucks and does, wild turkeys and the 2 snakes

Hiked this trail on a recommendation and loved it. Posted as a 2.5 mile / 3-4 hour path, but was on a tight 2hr schedule so walked it at a decent pace to see how far we could make it before having to turn back - made it to the falls and back in 1hr 57min. Couple of very brief stops to look at fence lizards on rocks and a snake. Only about 10 mins spent at the falls in order to make it back on time. Next visit we will plan 3-4 hrs, slow the pace, maybe wade in the water near the falls to cool off and enjoy the destination more. Was encouraged by returning hikers to bring water as we were walking up to trail entrance - glad we followed their advice. No trash seen while we were there other than one empty bottle that my son picked up. Seems like a moderate trail if walking it casually, definitely moderate/difficult for us when walking fast. No bugs, couple of foot bridges over creeks, roots, rocks, a few steep inclines... good times!

Moderate/Difficult.The trail often alternates from sunny exposure to shady areas and alternating intervals of relatively steep inclines to relatively level terrain, which gives nice little breaks between the more difficult portions of the hike. not blown away but it had pretty views and a nice waterfall. Very crowded when we hiked it in August.

It took my family and I about 1 and 40 min to get to the waterfall. It’s pretty rocky and there are very steep parts so I would definitely wear hiking shoes. Take water and snacks. Pretty big area for a swim.

Good afternoon hike. Took about 2 hours to hike, and took 30 min at the waterfall to take pics and have a picnic. Should be fun for kids. Wear hiking boots it’s pretty rocky.

Very beautiful hike. Well worth it. Bring water!!

We really enjoyed it! My three boys (ages 9, 7, and 5) handled it perfectly! It was a gorgeous hike! Pack a poncho — we had a thunderstorm on our way down.

Best waterfall in GSMNP

Nice distance out and back. Moderate to easy hiking. Lots of great river views.

A great 5 mile hike. Did with my family including two kids (5 & 8). Much of the trail is rocky or has many roots, so I would recommend wearing something more substantial than tennis shoes. Although, many folks I saw were wearing tennis shoes. The trail is relatively flat; there isn’t much elevation gain for the mountains. The waterfall is very nice and a great place to picnic, snack, or chill. Some people were swimming, but I’d say swim at your own risk.

Great hike. Beautiful waterfall. Road to get to trail head closed on Wednesday and Saturday until 10 am. Lots of tree roots and rocks.

Great trail. Well worth the hike. Road to get there is closed on Wednesday and Saturday until 10:am

A great hike and I have recommended it to many people.

the waterfall was gorgeous but i would say that the trail was more easy than moderate because of long stretches of flat areas. definitely would recommend good tennis shoes or hiking boots !