Abrams Falls Trail

Abrams Falls Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Townsend, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Abrams Fall is a popular waterfall with a 25 foot drop over a rocky cliff beside it. The trail is well maintained. It does have a few spots with roots and rocks. The trail gets a lot of use. Expect other hikers. At certain times of the year, it will be extremely crowded.

22 minutes ago

id give this hike a 4/10 for difficulty. there isnt too much to look at on the way but the falls are beautiful.
on a side note: you have to take a one way road to get to the trail and you cant pass so you are at the mercy of the cars in front of you to keep going. there were lots of deer and turkeys in the meadows and people would stop in the middle of the street, halting traffic for their pictures. it took 30 minutes to go 3 miles and its the only way to get there

I have hiked this trail many times. It is considered moderately difficult... many rocky and rooty areas. As you walk in ..3 hills and as you walk out 3 hills.
Beautiful waterfall but swimming near the falls is very dangerous.., several deaths here.
If hiking in warm/hot weather, take water.

Awesome trail! Good views, not too difficult.

Nice hike...tricky at times. Beautiful waterfall!

Beautiful trail, Lots of traffic. It was my first experience hiking the Smokies. I would be happy to do this trail again!! It would be fun to do in the fall.

Croweded but it’s a nice hike.

Crowded but a nice hike.

Very nice trail. Worth the hike to see the falls. Did this with my 5 year old and I only had to carry him towards the end :) easy enough for kids in good shape.

Beautiful hike today! Right at the beginning of the trail where the first bridge is, we saw three river otters! What a treat! We went early enough to not have too much traffic and to get a good parking space. Go early! The hike is easy enough but I'd say it is moderate and could be hard for some.

We visited this past Sunday. Bring water, snacks, camera, and appropriate foot wear. I should note: a guy we past seemed very creepy. He was hiking solo and I kept turning back to make sure he was not following us. Please make sure you have someone with you. Very beautiful hike both ways. A bit challenging coming back, but well worth the hike. The waterfall was very crowded and I seen a lot of people swimming in the calm waters area. Also people getting very close to the edge where the waterfall was. Very nervous about that. If you have children, make sure to take small breaks throughout this hike, because they will get tired quickly. Overall, I will come back.

Definitely moderate coming out and easy going in. Rocky, take appropriate footwear. Gorgeous falls. Dangerous, please don’t swim here - do a little research before hiking this trail!

Well defined trail, wet at times but not really muddy. Very heavy on traffic. A lot of people like to hang out at the falls, but it was still enjoyable on a Thursday afternoon during the shoulder season.

Beautiful! I am a beginning again hiker. It has been decades since I hiked. This was the longest trail I’ve done so far. I enjoyed the hike so much. It was tough but I survived. It had the water flowing parallel with the trail. It had some steep hills both ways and of course the hardest was the uphill after the waterfall visit. The waterfall was beautiful. There were a lot of families so it’s great family time. Bring band-aids because someone is sure to scrape something playing on the boulders.

Good hike, moderate hills, descents, and flat sections. Falls and pool below falls is great reward. Decent crowds but not annoyingly so.

Amazing hike! Easy if you are a prepared hiker. Next time we'll spend more time hanging out at the falls. Added challenge was carrying 35lbs of wiggly toddler and pack.

Well we were feeling ambitious after doing the 10-mile Cades Cove loop so we decided to hike the Abrams Falls Trail with our son. We might have bitten off more than we could chew as several times I debated carrying my 5-year-old the last two miles of the hike. The first leg of the trail was amazing offering great views of the stream below, climbing and dropping in elevation several times and finally offering a nice place to rest at the falls. It was a summer day so it was warm on the hike but the falls provided a nice cool breeze. All in all I would still do it again in the future. Just be prepared and bring plenty of WATER!!!

Abrams Falls Trail is a moderate 45-50 minute there and back hike along Abrams Creek in the Cades' Cove section of Great Smoky Mountains National Park. At roughly only 700 feet of elevation gain the hike only has a few somewhat strenuous climbs. There is also plenty of opportunities to access Abrams Creek at the many pools that form along it's bank along the 3.5 mile hike. When you reach the falls there's plenty of access points to the large pool at the base of the falls which can accommodate a large number of visitors as this is one of the most popular waterfalls accessible to Knoxville. Climbing on the falls in discouraged for good reason as most of the rock faces are extremely slick. The pool is deep enough to swim in and gradually deepens nearer the base of the falls. However, due to current created by the cascading water, I don't recommend jumping in or swimming too close to the falls themselves because of current's pull back toward the base of the falls. This is definitely one of the most picturesque waterfalls in Smoky Mountain National park so understandably it can be crowded on weekends and it's best enjoyed earlier in the day before the sun is behind the tree line.

nice hike. just to many yuppies u gotta getta off trail to really enjoy

Very nice moderate hike, nice water falls at the end. Careful if you are not in shape, take your time, but not a tough hike overall.

great trail. has a good amount of challenging sections and it's beautiful when you get to the falls.

My first hike in Tennessee! I wish that waterfall was little bit taller for round trip of 5.5 miles. enjoyed the hike, and beautiful waterfall

I found a couple spots of this trail to be a little more difficult than “beginner level.”
But it’s worth the climb out. Beautiful falls! And much of the hike is alongside a creek.
There were lots of folks on the trail when I went in late April. Pack your patience for the Cade’s Cove Koop on the weekend :)

Enough uphills and downhills to keep everyone happy. Make sure to check out the trees early on in the hike and you can see where the forest fire must have come through.

3 up hills and 3 downhills going to the Falls and then back to the parking lot, Abrams Falls is well worth the walk. It is usually very crowded and you have to drive about half of the one way, Cades Cove Loop, to get to the trail head. I like the hike, but it isnt one I choose very often

Enjoyed the trail. Beautiful waterfall although I wish it was taller for a round trip of 5 miles just to go see it. Some members of my family found the trail to be a bit too challenging for them because of all the climbs and rocks along the trail. It is rated moderate and I would not recommend going on it if you’re looking for an easy trail. Liked that the trail goes along the river.

Beautiful waterfall and great for swimming on hot days. Can be very crowded on weekends, so I recommend going during a weekday if possible. I think its about a mile or so longer then the 5 miles listed. Saw a bear on the long winding road there (plan time for the drive). Good for all skill levels.

Always a nice hike. Go early if you want to beat the crowds.

A beautiful trail along a river that leads to the Falls.
So many butterflies. Saw a large snake. I felt like definitely more uphill coming back!

A great family hike! Awesome views and the falls where a fantastic lunch spot!

My first hike I loved it