Abrams Falls Trail

Abrams Falls Trail is a 4.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Townsend, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Abrams Fall is a popular waterfall with a 25 foot drop over a rocky cliff beside it. The trail is well maintained. It does have a few spots with roots and rocks. The trail gets a lot of use. Expect other hikers. At certain times of the year, it will be extremely crowded.

1 hour ago

My first hike in Tennessee! I wish that waterfall was little bit taller for round trip of 5.5 miles. enjoyed the hike, and beautiful waterfall

I found a couple spots of this trail to be a little more difficult than “beginner level.”
But it’s worth the climb out. Beautiful falls! And much of the hike is alongside a creek.
There were lots of folks on the trail when I went in late April. Pack your patience for the Cade’s Cove Koop on the weekend :)

Enough uphills and downhills to keep everyone happy. Make sure to check out the trees early on in the hike and you can see where the forest fire must have come through.

3 up hills and 3 downhills going to the Falls and then back to the parking lot, Abrams Falls is well worth the walk. It is usually very crowded and you have to drive about half of the one way, Cades Cove Loop, to get to the trail head. I like the hike, but it isnt one I choose very often

Enjoyed the trail. Beautiful waterfall although I wish it was taller for a round trip of 5 miles just to go see it. Some members of my family found the trail to be a bit too challenging for them because of all the climbs and rocks along the trail. It is rated moderate and I would not recommend going on it if you’re looking for an easy trail. Liked that the trail goes along the river.

Beautiful waterfall and great for swimming on hot days. Can be very crowded on weekends, so I recommend going during a weekday if possible. I think its about a mile or so longer then the 5 miles listed. Saw a bear on the long winding road there (plan time for the drive). Good for all skill levels.

Always a nice hike. Go early if you want to beat the crowds.

A beautiful trail along a river that leads to the Falls.
So many butterflies. Saw a large snake. I felt like definitely more uphill coming back!

A great family hike! Awesome views and the falls where a fantastic lunch spot!

My first hike I loved it

Nice hike with a pretty waterfall and great spot to swim at the end. We saw a bear on this trail!

More than 2 hours, started to get crowded coming out but very pretty!

We went early on a weekday last week and it was not too crowded. This hike has many different views and never disappoints. We got to see a mama bear with 3 cubs and it was an amazing experience. This is one of my favorite hikes.

Hike was great. 5 miles round trip total from the parking area. We walked at a good pace and took about 2 hours (not including time at the falls). The trail and falls were very crowded even though we arrived early in the day.

This trail is very special to me. I was never into hiking before because of my job that consisted of long hours of walking. I went with someone that was special in my life and in that moment something happened. It triggered a missing piece in my empty soul that to this day gives me goosebumps thinking about. Not only did it have amazing lookout points along the trail but had a beautiful waterfall at the end. Now I'm constantly hiking and looking for my next hiker "high" all because of this one trail. I highly recommend it.

What a beautiful hike! My 9 year old loved it. Lots of rocks on the trail and up & down. We took rain gear just in case and I’m glad we did because it really poured for about 15 minutes on our way in. The rest of the hike was slick but still doable. The falls were really worth it. It’s our favorite hike and he has already said he wants to do it again. It’s a long hike so have water with you.

Great Trail! Get there early to beat the crowd. Took about 2 hours to complete.

Great trail. Took 2.5 hours to complete round trip in and out.

Great out and back trail with a beautiful waterfall! They advertise at the park that it is 2.5 miles each way but it is more than that.

Had a awesome family hike with my wife and two kids. We all had a blast. Waterfall was beautiful!! Love Tennessee!!

We hiked this today, a Wednesday. We headed out early so we wouldn’t get caught in the slow moving
Cades Cove Loop traffic. But we outsmarted ourselves, since the Loop is open to only bike traffic until 10:00 am on Wednesdays and Saturdays. If you want an early start go a different morning. The trail is as advertised, moderate ups and downs all the way. Some parts are more rocky than I like. The mountain laurel was still blooming in many places. The falls are quite pretty with nice areas to rest and regroup before heading back.

One of my favorite hikes in the Smokies!

the hike was great...up and down...would be too hard for kids under10...the one lane road in and out took forever. I did not like that.

Beautiful!

We decided to hike this late morning after a great drive on part of the loop looking for bears. Seen too many bears to count, a coyote, turkey with chicks, beds and deer, thats on the drive. The hike was a bit over 5 miles, some work had been done on the trail so it was something you had to pay attention to when walking. Recent dirt moving, ditches and rocks removed so easy to step in the remanding holes. I did not find the hike hard and keep a good pace even on hills. Sen alot of lizards and a few put on a show of doing "pushups"! Blue bellied. You had your usual swimmers at the falls and a fisherman wading. Ate lunch and headed back, all in all a great trail.

Overall a simple hike that winds through the forest over a handful of rolling hills. Be prepared to do some uphill hiking with this one. The trail is in great shape and there is a sizable area to enjoy the falls once you arrive.

Definitely a favorite of ours. We hiked this one twice now. Last time with all our children. They truly love this trail. follows the river through most of it so can always stop and take a break, especially with little ones and let them splash around. The waterfall is beautiful and some areas shallow enough to walk around and enjoy the water before heading back. We also started at the Abrams trail head, so was only just over 5 miles for us.

Went here on a day while exploring Cades Cove.  My biggest advice is: hike it in the morning because of shade.  Lots of the trail is uncovered, so in the late Spring it gets very hot.  It is a longish trail that is up and down both ways.  The waterfall was nice, but the payoff compared the cost of the long hike isn't there for me.  If you are already doing Cades Cove then yes go ahead and do it, but I wouldn't make a special trip to this hike.

This trail is a very nice trail to hike on any day of the week will do it more

Great family hike. My 2yo toddler was able to hike for 2 hours straight. Bring enough water.