Willow Creek Trail

Willow Creek Trail is a 2.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hill City, South Dakota that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice hike with my son again! You can start two ways... We picked to the left which was uphill. Was a good choice I feel. At least for me. Lol Almost all uphill with some level spots but nothing hard for 1.1 miles. Then it was all down hill from there basically for 1.4 miles! At a point going down however when you get near the water and the thick forest the mosquitoes ate my son alive!!! Bring bug spray is all I can advise! Outside that had a great time!

Great, fairly easy hike. The water is nice.

A nice short hike with views of Harney Peak (Black Elk Peak). We decided to hike up the steps of the left side 1st which has some incredible boulders just off the trail. We were starting to think we may have somehow missed the waterfall, with less than 1/2 mile left & then there it was. It was kind of marshy & lots of limbs to maneuver under/around to get a better view but worth it. We ended up walking 3.16 mi in all. Not my favorite hike in the hills but still pretty.

snow on the hilltop and several whitetail deer, very nice hike.

Pretty little trail. The waterfall is unmarked, tucked away on a spur, nettle overgrown trail. Exposed most of the time, lots of horse dung, and plenty of helicopters to ruin the serenity.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Fun little hike. We finished it in a little over one hour with a 9 and six year old. We liked the little waterfall. There were numerous little mud puddles that we had to go around. We enjoyed our time.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

This was a good trail to take 4 and 7 year old. Was about the perfect length and difficulty. Nice little water fall for the kids to mess around in. Just beware of what the horses left behind on the trail!

Monday, July 03, 2017

Good views, nice for kiddos.

Monday, June 12, 2017

Very nice trail. Easy to do with a toddler carrier because incline is very gradual. I rarely need bug spray in the Black Hills but would have liked it on this trail.

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Trail is every bit of 2.5 miles. Trail is single lane most of the way. Definitely for hiking in a line one by one. For my dog to walk beside me he frequently had to walk in the grass as the trail wasnt wide enough for both of us. All in all we enjoyed the hike though. And it is a back door way of hiking to Harney Peak.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

** Just a beauty of a trail. Creek is running high today.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Love this trail because it's a loop! Super easy trail to follow, love the stream that goes through it, there's kind of a tiny hidden waterfall, lots of big boulders, which my kids love to run up on! Great views of harney peak! Definitely recommend this trail, especially if you're looking for something that isn't too strenuous.

Friday, March 31, 2017

Was great, and the path was cleared of fallen trees!

Sunday, March 19, 2017

It was a nice little trail overall, just had a few fallen trees across the walkway.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

What a nice afternoon hike with the whole family.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Perfect

Monday, May 23, 2016

Nice hike with my wife and one year old son. Just a lot of downed trees which made it difficult with kid carrier. But worth it.

Saturday, May 21, 2016

so many tree's laying across the trail

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Nice short hike. Bring bug spray.

Monday, May 18, 2015

Great day on this trail!! A little wet and muddy in spots due too the 2.5' of snow the week befor! The falls was a rolling that's for sure!

Monday, May 18, 2015

My kids (5&8) and I completed this trail on May 17, 2015. This is a great trail for all ages. Trail conditions were a little bit wet, due to heavy snow falls a week prior. The creek was running full steam and the waterfalls was beautiful.. Quite a few down trees from the winter storms and Highwinds, we just call these obstacles and more of an venture.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Nice trail thru the forest and up on a ridge where you can get a view of Harney Peak. Surprise waterfall about 1/2 mile on the trail if you head to the right at the trailhead. Horsies. On the trail also so watch out for poops. Heavily logged because of darn pine beetles but clearings allow better views of the surroundings.

Monday, August 06, 2012

Just did this trail stayed one day it was a great hike out it gets colder than anywhere else I've been camping if you go out about 3 miles there's another waterfall with a nice pond this was a trail ill be doing very soon!

Monday, June 11, 2012

The trail has been changed from when i completed it 3 years ago, kind of disappointing the trail has also been heavily logged so the trail now follows the logging road for a bit.

recorded great trail for families