Sylvan Lake Shore Trail

Sylvan Lake Shore Trail is a 1.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Custer, South Dakota that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and fishing and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.1 miles Elevation Gain: 59 feet Route Type: Loop

A nice walk around Lake Sylvan. Good views. Easy walk.

Great easy trail around the lake to take your family on! We went with my in laws and all of our kiddos. There are a lot of other trailheads on or nearby this trail as well. We had the perfect weather for it this weekend!

Beautiful hike with lots of rocks for kids to scramble. Not too crowded in the morning.

Beautiful after the rain. The waterfall is pretty. Super easy and gorgeous.

This is a great trail around Sylvan Lake that allows you to go behind the lake and see the waterfall. We ran into some nice rock climbers on the back side. The hike offers just the right amount of rocks; climbing; boulders; and exceptional views of the lake. Depending on when you go, it will be crowded. It a wonderful fun hike, especially for families.

beautiful views of lake, forest, and ability to walk on top of large rocks. plenty of shade to rest. my toddlers loved it.

Fun hike with rewarding views. I used this as a warmup to tackling trail 9 up the mountain. Definintely worth your time to stroll through and enjoy the views.

Beautiful hike. My kids turned one mile into two by going down countless side paths, climbing rocks, and exploring small caves.

This trail is great for small children!

Easy trail with some beautiful views.

super walk, only thing, the review says "moderately traveled", lol... I did it on a weekday, and there were three bus loads of kids on the trail with me, lol!

Great way to spend the afternoon with the family. Easy to walk and navigate with spectacular backdrop!! Small trails off the main loop where my boys ages 8-14 could climb the boulders feel like they where mountain climbers. I did it with them and it was quite fun!! Would recommend for all!!

We took this trail at twilight... we saw a handful of deer, some mallards and a couple of geese. We were able to get some great silhouette shots of the rocks and the lake. The trail is still trying to recover from the snow last week, so a lot of runoff snow melt.

The views walking around this small lake was exceptional. A relaxing walk that I would make daily if I lived here. Also, got to meet another couple our age from Tennessee that shared their out west visit with us.

Nice trail

Great trail to stretch your legs at the beginning or end of a hiking day. Beautiful spot.

Took my 8 and 4 year old - they loved it! Pretty easy but a few rocks for them to climb. Took 90 minutes with snow. Would be faster in summer.

All that’s needed to be said here is that sylvan lake is absolutely gorgeous.

Short but sweet

Wonderful hike! We hiked it, with a break in the middle to play on some rocks and grab a snack. It was no problem for our 6 yr old and I carried our 1 yr old in the baby carrier with ease. We'd love to do this hike again and highly recommend it to anyone in the area.

Beautiful hike. The rock monoliths barricade one end of the lake and are used to dam the lake. Fall color really adds to the scenic beauty. Some people enjoying the hike but not overrun.

it's a beautiful lake with an easy, gravel trail, but was very crowded and noisy with visitors. worth a visit if you are looking for something short and easy with amazing scenic views all around

Very easy. Breathtaking. Connects to other trails for more of a challenge :) don’t forget $20 for the entry fee!

Sylvan Lake is such a pretty lake, and this is a nice trail for a walk/short workout. The back side of the trail has some light rocky parts so you don’t feel like you’re just walking an urban trail. After hiking Black Elk Peak yesterday, my muscles needed some easy work, and twice around the trail was perfect. There’s a scenic lookout on the north end of the lake where you can take photos, and if you’re a rock climber, there’s a nice one back there.

beautiful.

Pretty man-made lake with dam. Gravel trail well maintained. Crowded with vacationing tourists.

fun fun fun, for little kids also safe

Love this lake, very easy trail. When visiting Custer state park, we always stop and walk the lake

This is a very beautiful area and the trail is fairly easy (but not suited for baby strollers). The lake, the waterfall, and the rocks make it interesting. A very cool place!