Saint Elmo Peak Trail

Saint Elmo Peak Trail is a 1.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hill City, South Dakota that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Steep trail to the top of St. Elmo. Nice rock summit. Great view of Harney and Little Devils Tower.

Amazing views at the top. definitely tough to keep on the "trail" most the way up.
I really enjoyed it.....

Great hike. Straight up!! Lost the trail about 300 yds from the trailhead, found it again just after the first "fire road" crossing. Made it to the summit in an hour.

Set out on a little adventure with my 2 boys, ages 10 & 13. Didn't realize it was rated hard. We all made it with relative ease. And the view from the top is well worth the hike. Remember to stop and look around as you go, some amazing views along the way.

Was an amazing trail, with no one else on it with us how could we complain. the trail starts at the gate, just have to move the barbed wire out of the way. Make sure you bring water and a snack(sandwich and beer would suffice) the view at the top is totally worth it. The trail is perfect for a dog as well. Have fun I know we did.

Amazing view oh Harney Peak. Worth the trek up!

Wednesday, December 07, 2016

Monday, September 05, 2016

Thursday, July 14, 2016

I'm not sure about anyone else but I had a hard time finding the trailhead. I read on another website on how to find it. Not sure if this correct as there were no markers at all. We parked at mile marker 24255 near and "X" mark the spot sign. There is a small little area to park off the road. We crossed a fence and followed a trail. Came to what appeared to be an old road, took a right, walked about 1/4-1/2 mile and found trail again on left. Definitely gets your heart-rate pumping. LOTS of wild raspberries on the trail. Beautiful view!!!

Monday, March 21, 2016

One of, if not the hardest trail I've done here. '76 trail in Spearfish Canyon is near the same difficulty. When you're hiking up don't forget to turn around and take in the amazing view. The top has a fantastic view of Harney Peak and Little Devils Tower. I recommend wearing pants or else your legs will get tore up. If you do the hike, have fun!

Sunday, November 16, 2014

One if the best hikes you'll have in the hills. It's a challenge but the view is well worth it

Tuesday, June 24, 2014