Saddle Pass Trail

Saddle Pass Trail is a 0.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Interior, South Dakota and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from April until October.

Nice view from the top

nice loop hike when tied into castle trail.

Really cool short trail. The views coming up are really neat. Unless you're going to continue on the castle trail when you reach the top there isn't really much at the top though. It's an awesome feeling climbing up one of these bizarre formations though.

Fun trail with lots of different options and a secret cave. Short and challenging, but definitely a good departure from the other flatter trails in Badlands.

Short but challenging and very fun! Good hiking shoes are a must. Views at the top are worth it. We didn't come across any rattle snakes on our way up.

The Saddleback Trail is rated Strenuous. Wow. I made it all the way up to the pinnacle and back down again, with some difficulty. My wife turned around once it became nearly vertical. About 2/3 of visitors turn back halfway up this ridiculously steep and slippery trail. Do not attempt without good hiking shoes, water, and other proper hiking gear.
But if you reach the top, the view is wonderful.

Fun climb basically straight up this butte. Great fun for my kids to climb and explore!

GREAT hike, but a little too wet to tackle when we were there. It was quite slick coming down but my sons thought it was terrific. We plan to come back next year - fully prepared to continue on on the Medicine Root trail.

Fun climb up and over the buttes. Great views. Can be a bit slippery coming back down, but just take your time and enjoy!

It is a short hike, but ends with great views from the top. Very slippery in spots due to powdery dirt.

Monday, August 17, 2015

Thursday, July 23, 2015

This is a very cool hike. If you are afraid of heights, this is not for you. Wear good hiking shoes as there is loose dirt all the way up the trail. I saw a lot of folks scooting down the trail on their butts. Once you make it to the top, you can continue on the Medicine Root Loop Trail which is another 4 miles. Take lots of water!

Tuesday, August 05, 2014

This was kind of a crazy trail! We hiked about 4 other trails in the Badlands, but this one definitely felt like the most dangerous. It climbs up the Badlands Wall to a view over the White River Valley. It was a slippery and steep trail; the dirt is very fine and loose. It makes it difficult to get your footing. I and others more or less sat down and scooted our way down the steepest part of the path. You must wear good hiking shoes!! At the top, you can walk a little ways, and it meets up with other trails on even terrain with pretty wildflowers. I think this is the only trail I've ever hiked though that I had nightmares about! haha