Saddle Pass Trail

Saddle Pass Trail is a 0.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Interior, South Dakota and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from April until October.

The Saddleback Trail is rated Strenuous. Wow. I made it all the way up to the pinnacle and back down again, with some difficulty. My wife turned around once it became nearly vertical. About 2/3 of visitors turn back halfway up this ridiculously steep and slippery trail. Do not attempt without good hiking shoes, water, and other proper hiking gear.
But if you reach the top, the view is wonderful.

Fun climb basically straight up this butte. Great fun for my kids to climb and explore!

GREAT hike, but a little too wet to tackle when we were there. It was quite slick coming down but my sons thought it was terrific. We plan to come back next year - fully prepared to continue on on the Medicine Root trail.

Fun climb up and over the buttes. Great views. Can be a bit slippery coming back down, but just take your time and enjoy!

It is a short hike, but ends with great views from the top. Very slippery in spots due to powdery dirt.

This is a very cool hike. If you are afraid of heights, this is not for you. Wear good hiking shoes as there is loose dirt all the way up the trail. I saw a lot of folks scooting down the trail on their butts. Once you make it to the top, you can continue on the Medicine Root Loop Trail which is another 4 miles. Take lots of water!

This was kind of a crazy trail! We hiked about 4 other trails in the Badlands, but this one definitely felt like the most dangerous. It climbs up the Badlands Wall to a view over the White River Valley. It was a slippery and steep trail; the dirt is very fine and loose. It makes it difficult to get your footing. I and others more or less sat down and scooted our way down the steepest part of the path. You must wear good hiking shoes!! At the top, you can walk a little ways, and it meets up with other trails on even terrain with pretty wildflowers. I think this is the only trail I've ever hiked though that I had nightmares about! haha

This was a super fun and challenging trail. It was a fun access to Castle trail. Use great caution going down and don't attempt if wet.

AWESOME. Kind of makes you want to believe in Santa Claus. Colors.