Old Baldy Trail

Old Baldy Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Beaver Crossing, South Dakota that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

It's an ok trail. Trails are all over the place some blocked off and distance is way further than posted. View not too exciting until you get to the top of the summit. Good moderate trail for all ages.

A trail I've hiked a lot over last thirty years. The authorities have moved the trail around a bit to eliminate water run off damage. Also trail is longer than it used to be.

Friday, November 25, 2016

This is a lovely trail however we did a lot of trail finding. They must be trying to reroute some of the trail. There are branches stacked a crossed some of the trails and trail signs pointing the wrong way. The trail needs some care ???

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

This is a fun easy trail with a summit of Old Baldy !!

Friday, October 16, 2015

This was an easy trail that I hiked yesterday 10/15/15. It was fairly well marked. Scenery was pleasant, but not exciting. However, when retuning to the trailhead at 3:30 pm, I met a mountain lion (big!) on the trail, about 50 ft. away. We stared at each other and then I raised my metal hiking poles above my head and banged them together until it left.

Monday, June 22, 2015

The trail is not very obvious the whole way but is marked with signs and has nice scenery. The climb and views from the top, at the end, are well worth the effort.