Notch Trail

Notch Trail is a 1.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Interior, South Dakota that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Must do with kids! The only complaint I have is that it's difficult to tell where/when this trail ends.

Easy going but for that one climb up the ladder. So much fun, lots of great views. Lots of loose gravel so heed the sign and wear ankle boots if you can. They saved me on a few slips. Lady ahead of us slipped on some at the very end and really hurt her ankle.

When we arrived at the ladder there were some very slow people on it so we chose to scramble up another way. Thought I might slide down a time or two which was a little nerve wracking but made it. My thighs burned for days. Once up it's a beautiful and easy hike around. Did take the ladder on the way down climbing facing backwards just like a ladder. I'm afraid of heights and it wasn't bad though some distances between the steps was a stretch and I have 35" inseam legs.

I'm excited anytime I get to climb something. In this case, a ladder. From there you get to walk on cliff edges and there's a nice view at the end. I had fun the entire time on this trail. Probably the best trail in the park, though of course there aren't many!

Good starter hike upon arriving in South Dakota. Great job by the Park Service marking and maintaining the trail.

Awesome trail definitely more of a moderate to difficult trail though because of the climb (if you want to see the whole thing). Wouldn't really recommend taking kids under 8 up the trail but superb views and well worth making the trip.

Great short hike. Good way to get an up close look at some of the features in the Badlands. Worth the time. Also saw some bighorn sheep right next to the parking lot!!