Notch Trail

Notch Trail is a 1.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Interior, South Dakota that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

cave

Great trail! Loved the wooden stairs to climb and the view is beautiful. This is a great hike when it's too hot to do a real long trail but still get the effect of the Badlands. I would recommend. One bottle of water will suffice for this hike.

I didn't think it was that great. We did Castle Trail first then this. A nice trail for someone wanting a short hike but we could have done without it after our 8 mile hike we already did. Ladder was short and fairly easy. Took us about 30-40 minutes round trip.

Very easy and short but worth it for the scenic views and the unique rope ladder.

Great hike, short but a lot of fun.

We absolutely loved this trail, and I recommend it heartily. The log ladder and the few spots of ledge hiking added a lot of excitement to it, and the view at the end is spectacular.

However, I do not agree with the "easy" rating. I think that would be misleading to novices or others less sure-footed. In fact, the sign at the trailhead itself says "not recommended for those with a fear of heights... moderate to strenuous... rough terrain."

With a deathly fear of heights, I don't recommend this hike without a buddy.

Great little Badlands "sampler." If you only have time for one hike, I recommend this one. Experience the different types of rock that make up the Badlands along the way, then enjoy a beautiful view at the end. Shaded in the evening.

Great views! Don't need the ladder going up but used it going down... luckily right before it started raining and pouring on us.

Was a great hike! Easily one of the best in the park. It was a fun and moderately challenging hike. The ladder adds a sense of adventure, but still feels very safe. Saw a heard of bighorns just off the trail. Very cool! Some tricky footing in parts, but with appropriate footwear it's not too bad. There are two overlooks at the end, both with gorgeous views of the Badlands. Definitely worth it. As you come up over the ridge as the landscape opens up before you, it commands attention and awe. Couldn't help but sit there for a while just to take it in.