Notch Trail is a 1.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Interior, South Dakota that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 1.3 miles Elevation Gain: 131 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

Almost zero effort to get there and the best sunset I have ever seen.

Short but intense and beautiful! Quick hour

Nice short hike with a ladder climb. Great panorama view of the river valley at the end. The last view was quite a surprise.

Great, easy hike with amazing views.

Nice short, easy hike with with a good vista at the end. Kids loved it.

Really cool hike that takes you to a ladder where the more strenuous stuff starts. You do go along somewhat of a cliff that can be daunting if you're afraid of heights, but it's not too bad. From there you go through a small canyon that takes you to a cool view. Took about 45 minutes, I would suggest doing this hike earlier if you can because people start to pack in and there can be some waiting

This is a nice hike but there is more to it than the ladder which is fun and scary at the same time. The only reason I didn’t give more stars is there were a couple of points where we were searching for the next marker. There are a couple of narrow spots where you are on the edge of a cliff so I would be wary about taking little kids (or anyone with a fear of heights). The view at the end is amazing though.

A little over hyped, was promised ladders, there was only one. Absolutely no shade. The view was average for the park as a whole. A good trail to take kids on to introduce them to ladders though.

Fun little trail. For anyone that hikes I would definitely not call the trail moderate, but easy. The trail isn’t totally straight forward but there are plenty of black posts to mark the direction to go. We went early and saw mule deer and TONS of birds. The ladder is fun and lookout point is nice. There are 2 different points to access this trail. One is across from Fossil Trail and it’s a 6 mile hike to the area where Notch, Door and Window are. There is a separate trailhead for the 1.3 mile hike. We came in the park from a direction where we saw the 6mile sign first and were a bit confused at first.

Does anyone know if the park entrance is open?

Great hike my son was little afraid of the ladder so maybe it’s best with no kids overall great hike!

Easy trail for the most part. The ladder is only scary when you look at it. Great views from the top!

This hike is amazing as well. Don’t forget to take water if you’re hiking in the summer. I never really carry water on me when I hike and I regretted that day. There’s not a lot of places to find shade. Yes, you do climb a ladder and I’m terrified of heights, but don’t let that scare you off! It is not that scary and you have to do this hike!

Best trail of the day!

Way shorter of a hike than expected. Definitely wouldn’t want to do it in the middle of summer with no shade and high temps. One of the funnest trails I’ve done in a while though, with the wood ladder and climbing over the rock formations. Trail is very well marked

Badlands is a very underrated park and everyone should visit this place. Great hike along the scenic drive of the park.

We did this yesterday. Only people on the trail in the 28 degree weather. There is a ladder you need to climb to get to the higher point with views. We missed the ladder at first and wandered around a while. Then we went back up. Decent views of the park. We saw a dead coyote from the higher vantage point.

I was a little disappointed by this trail. It has some interesting views but overall it’s not that hard or scenic. I ran most of the way back from the notch.