Notch Trail

Notch Trail is a 1.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Interior, South Dakota that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

cave

The trail is listed as moderate to strenuous, however, the only mildly difficult portion involves climbing a log ladder up at an awkward angle. There are 2 different viewpoints near the end. A great hike if you only have a few hours in the park!

Marvelous trail. Takes a good amount of effort. But worth every step at the end.

Short Trail but great vistas at the end. Lots of roaming available. Impressively quite, even when others are around.

Great trail! Loved the wooden stairs to climb and the view is beautiful. This is a great hike when it's too hot to do a real long trail but still get the effect of the Badlands. I would recommend. One bottle of water will suffice for this hike.

I didn't think it was that great. We did Castle Trail first then this. A nice trail for someone wanting a short hike but we could have done without it after our 8 mile hike we already did. Ladder was short and fairly easy. Took us about 30-40 minutes round trip.

Very easy and short but worth it for the scenic views and the unique rope ladder.

Great hike, short but a lot of fun.

We absolutely loved this trail, and I recommend it heartily. The log ladder and the few spots of ledge hiking added a lot of excitement to it, and the view at the end is spectacular.

However, I do not agree with the "easy" rating. I think that would be misleading to novices or others less sure-footed. In fact, the sign at the trailhead itself says "not recommended for those with a fear of heights... moderate to strenuous... rough terrain."

With a deathly fear of heights, I don't recommend this hike without a buddy.