Medicine Root Loop Trail

Medicine Root Loop Trail is a 1.5 mile loop trail located near Interior, South Dakota and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October.

1.5 miles Loop

Fun climb up Saddle Pass to Medicine Root loop. My teenagers did get bored on this hike, but I found it to be peaceful. Listening to the birds and the wind blowing the grasses was enjoyable for me.

One of my favorite trails. got to see lots of wildlife along the way. We were there in May, need to bring lots of water and good cover from the sun. Be aware of rattlesnakes as you can sort of hear them all the time!

I agree with everything everyone said that reviewed this trail. We did it in the middle of the day and there was no shade. The map we got from the Rangers said the complete loop was 4 miles (not 1.5 listed on the info page)

A very pleasant trail but Castle Trail is more dramatic.

This was a fairly easy trail. We hiked it in May and the sun is quite intense as there is no shade. The wildflowers and birds made this trail special. Combine it with part of Castle trail and make it a loop for added variety.

Did this trail with my wife and 11 year old daughter over Labor Day weekend. You definitely want to do this one early or late in the day as the sun can be downright oppressive by mid-morning. There is no shade to be found and the white rock at your feet reflects the sun back up to your face, leaving you no respite.

Despite that, this is a wonderful hike with amazing views and solitude. The terrain is easy for the most part, with just a few gullies to climb in and around. We heard some coyotes that were very close but not visible in the tall grass, we also saw some hawks and even a toad. There were signs warning of rattlesnakes, but we saw none.