Little Spearfish Trail

Little Spearfish Trail is a 5.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lead, South Dakota and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice trail that few are using, only us and 2 mountain bikers.

A couple points had cow paths intersecting but finding the right path was not too difficult. Overall a very nice trail with gentle climb and decents. Seemed a llittle longer than the 5.8 mile with us recording about 6.8 or so.

many trails on the main trail, we got lost at least twice, had no idea where we were because there's no service and this map helped for most of it except the last 2 miles and then when we finally got to the road we walked another mile and a half to the car.. 8.37 miles later..

Only went to the falls and back. Cool walk down the the falls over an old bridge. Trail was clearly marked as far as I went to the falls.

Thursday, September 22, 2016

I only went as far as the falls. Beautiful falls an easy hike to get to it. Spearfish Canyon was beautiful! I'd go again.

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Just as I was thinking "this trail is actually marked really well," I missed a left turn. I'm glad I had the gps and this trail loaded up on the app. The trail is really quite beautiful, but others are correct in saying the logging roads have made things confusing. I was on a stretch of the trail that follows a living road, but I failed to notice the reappearance of a foot path on the left side of this road, which veered off to the left as I mistakenly followed the road around a gradual right curve. Fortunately I checked the app on the phone and noticed before I had gone very far off track. Then again, toward the end if the trail, you're obligated to walk along Roughlock Falls Road for awhile just to get back to the trailhead. I think if I do this trail again, I will not do the whole loop, just out and back along the creek.

Thursday, July 07, 2016

disappointed, it was about 5 miles down a rough dirt road, the path was not clearly marked. Don't really ever think we found the trail. we ran into other hikers having the same problem. Did see a couple of woodpeckers and a snake.

Friday, June 17, 2016

And to add on. To take this trail. The advice I have that will be sure to get you through the whole trail. ALWAYS go left and just keep walking. Never go off trail. If you always go left, you WILL make it out on time. We thought we were on the wrong trail and tried to head straight for the road through the thick brush. No Bueno. Stay on trail.

Friday, June 17, 2016

Not clearly marked at all farther up into the hike. Very easy to get off on the wrong trail. Without Verizon, a compass, and a map, we would've been spending the night there. Made a great story to tell though

Monday, March 14, 2016

Lovely trail, mostly flat though there is an incline in parts. Follows a stream for a while towards the end.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Great easy hike, however there were a lot of logging trails that obscured the hiking trail. Very pretty woodland and streams.