Little Spearfish Trail

Little Spearfish Trail is a 5.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Lead, South Dakota that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great trail to the Spearfish Falls. Re-done. Nice easy trail. And the Falls are Great. One of my favorites.

Nice trail that few are using, only us and 2 mountain bikers.

A couple points had cow paths intersecting but finding the right path was not too difficult. Overall a very nice trail with gentle climb and decents. Seemed a llittle longer than the 5.8 mile with us recording about 6.8 or so.

many trails on the main trail, we got lost at least twice, had no idea where we were because there's no service and this map helped for most of it except the last 2 miles and then when we finally got to the road we walked another mile and a half to the car.. 8.37 miles later..

Monday, January 30, 2017

Only went to the falls and back. Cool walk down the the falls over an old bridge. Trail was clearly marked as far as I went to the falls.

Thursday, September 22, 2016

I only went as far as the falls. Beautiful falls an easy hike to get to it. Spearfish Canyon was beautiful! I'd go again.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Just as I was thinking "this trail is actually marked really well," I missed a left turn. I'm glad I had the gps and this trail loaded up on the app. The trail is really quite beautiful, but others are correct in saying the logging roads have made things confusing. I was on a stretch of the trail that follows a living road, but I failed to notice the reappearance of a foot path on the left side of this road, which veered off to the left as I mistakenly followed the road around a gradual right curve. Fortunately I checked the app on the phone and noticed before I had gone very far off track. Then again, toward the end if the trail, you're obligated to walk along Roughlock Falls Road for awhile just to get back to the trailhead. I think if I do this trail again, I will not do the whole loop, just out and back along the creek.

Thursday, July 07, 2016

disappointed, it was about 5 miles down a rough dirt road, the path was not clearly marked. Don't really ever think we found the trail. we ran into other hikers having the same problem. Did see a couple of woodpeckers and a snake.

Friday, June 17, 2016

And to add on. To take this trail. The advice I have that will be sure to get you through the whole trail. ALWAYS go left and just keep walking. Never go off trail. If you always go left, you WILL make it out on time. We thought we were on the wrong trail and tried to head straight for the road through the thick brush. No Bueno. Stay on trail.

Friday, June 17, 2016

Not clearly marked at all farther up into the hike. Very easy to get off on the wrong trail. Without Verizon, a compass, and a map, we would've been spending the night there. Made a great story to tell though

Monday, March 14, 2016

Lovely trail, mostly flat though there is an incline in parts. Follows a stream for a while towards the end.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Great easy hike, however there were a lot of logging trails that obscured the hiking trail. Very pretty woodland and streams.

Sunday, August 16, 2015

This trail shouldn't even be on here right now. When it's not so overgrown that you can hardly see where the trail is, it is rudely interrupted with logging trails and equipment. There was really only like .5 mile of comfortable hiking. We couldn't even tell where the trail was at several points and ended up having to cut through the middle of the woods in hopes of finding the car again. This "5.7 mile" hike turned into 7-8 miles by the time we finally hit the road and found the trailhead again.

Saturday, August 09, 2014

In early August, this trail was full of flowers and lovely flora. In a few parts, the trail was tough to see because of overgrowth, but it was always there, you just have to kick through some of the green to pass through it; I could tell the trail isn't used an awful lot. If you take the trail counter-clockwise (from the trailhead), the first mile is full of beaver dams along the creek. It then slowly ascends into a wooded area. We saw mushrooms, raspberries, and more. The elevation gains and drops are pretty easy. In general, a pleasant hike around the area. Be sure to check out Roughlock Falls on your way to this trail!

Monday, August 26, 2013

Nice hike with very nice views

Thursday, August 05, 2010

A great hike; the scenory is beautiful. A winter scene from the movie Dances With Wolves is shot on part of the trail.

Saturday, May 20, 2017