Little Elk Creek Trail is a 5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Piedmont, South Dakota that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 580 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This was a wonderful trail. Very easy for both my kids to do (ages 3 and 9). They loved the river views and rock climbing.

One of the most scenic and breathtaking hikes I've been on! Start early....lots of foot traffic and dogs, but everyone very friendly.

An excellent trail that’s a clearly marked five-miler out and back. Great views of the canyon walls along the creek, and it’s relatively flat the whole way. Usually fairly busy since it’s close to Rapid City but rarely feels overrun.

Enjoyed beautiful scenery and running stream along trail. Mix of walking old road bed and rocky washed out areas.

Beautiful trail, marked well and wasn't too difficult.

I loved this trails! Nice view and it take you all the way to Dalton Lake! Beautiful scenery. Love loved it

Fabulous trail for kids and families. You follow the creek the entire way. Perfect for cooling off on the way.

This one is a must and is a 4 season trail! Multiple views of small waterfalls throughout the hike.

icy

Love this trail in summer and spring - however it’s way to icy to be considered safe in the winter- I would recommend waiting until it’s warmer!!

This is a beautiful hike and a beautiful trail. About halfway through during this time of year January 24 or so, it will get life or death dangerous. It makes no difference whether you have the right equipment. I would wait a couple months maybe go during the spring. It’s a beautiful partial hike, but ice paths that are so narrow that you could easily fall and there will be no recovery.

icy

The trail is always beautiful but it was a bit icy so be sure and wear snow boots. We did not complete the entire trail because we were afraid of slipping off the edge of a few parts. Great for spring, summer, and fall hiking though!

icy

A great hike!! Loved listening to the creek as you hiked along. However, it was busy the day we went and pretty icy if you aren't wearing the correct gear.

a little bit snowy and icy, but still a very nice hike.

icy

love the creek- clearness of the water, sound of the mini-falls, ice formations

This was a beautiful trail! As you walk the path you can hear the flow of the stream and I cannot believe how clear the water is! The trail is very peaceful. The path was wide in most areas and was made up of rock and it seemed to be a sand. I didn’t experience any mud. I hiked with my dog who happened to be the only dog on a leash today. I know that as dog owners we think our dogs could never do any harm but remember we don’t know the temperament of other animals so please leash your dogs!

Fall hiking is so beautiful here

What a gorgeous hike!!!

Beautiful area. Low clearance cars can get here easily!

So lovely. Did see a snake and dogs off leashes. So pretty though.

This is a lovely little hike off the highway - so nice to get out and stretch a little after a long day in the car. Not crowded

Best in the Hills

This is a great trail, but be warned that some of the trail areas are washed out or under water. We were able to get through/around it and keep going. Lots of access to the creek. Def worth the effort!

Beautiful scenery. As a hiking trail, I would rate a 5. We mountain biked it, and the first mile was relatively easy with a slight uphill grade. After the first mile, we had to carry our bikes across 2 creek crossings, and then the trail became very technical. We had to walk several sections where it was very rocky. Recommend biking the first mile and hiking the rest.