Little Devils Tower Spur Trail

Little Devils Tower Spur Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Custer, South Dakota that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

100% worth it. our 5 and 7 year old kids managed it just fine although they were tired by the end. took us about 1.5 hrs up then 45min back down. the views from the top of the rocks were awesome, clouds were rolling in and out which looked very cool

Hiked with a 10 year old, 13 and 14 year old. Perfect hike! The last 1/4 mike was climbing rocks and a little scary but our kids had no fear at all! I am so glad we went and the views on the top are breathtaking! Took about two hours in total. Definitely take this hike!

AMAZING!!!!

We started at the Trail Head on 87. The trail is 1.5 miles in and 1.5 miles back out We took our entire family including a 7 year old boy & 8 year old girl. The hike was slightly strenuous for them but they loved the rock climbing towards the end. Most of the work was in the constant incline of the trail itself, not the rock climb. At one point there was an unmarked Fork in the trail. To the right is the off shoot trail to Cathedral Spires and to the left is the actual trail. You can get some great views and photos of the back of Cathedral spires a little further up the main trail. It's not much further from there. Once at the top, the views are amazing. If you have a drone you can take some great photos from the other side and understand better why it's called Little Devils Tower. (photo's uploaded) We're not fit but not out of shape. Based on my families experience I would say this is an easy to moderate, and worth the hike

Hiked over from the Cathedral Spires trail. it was only a little hike from where the spires trail and trail #4 cross. great views all the way then amazing views at the top!

The entrance crew gives out little maps, but don’t rely on them! The signs compared with the maps were very misleading. Otherwise a beautiful little hike. The top is definitely a rocky scramble. The dog didn’t want to go. Most of the trail is exposed. Not much shade. Bring plenty of water.

Went up for sunset on 5/26. Left the Sylvan Lake trailhead at 7:20. Made to top by 8pm. Sunset was 8:22pm. Used our headlamps the last 1/3 of the trail down. Only ones at the top. Saw only a few other people coming down when we were going up. Beautiful views!

Difficult trail especially toward the top, but very worth it. I did it twice in a month because the views from the top are so incredible. Would love to do this one again someday.

Very cool trail. Towards the end you do have climb a t little. Keep an eye on the weather, bring something to stay warm.

What a beautiful hike to Little Devils Tower and back 3.8 miles. Temp was about 64 and pure blue skies and sun. It was so awesome when we got to the top to see the 360 degree views. You’ll be climbing and scrambling on large boulders. Breathtaking.

We didn't come up from the lake, wish we had had time to do that part too, came over from cathedral spires via Trail4 and went up on the rock, about the last quarter or so of the trail. Worth the view!

This is one of the best hikes I ever did!!!! Beautiful views and lots of wildlife.

Great views, trail well laid out.

Great hike with rewarding views!

Exposed, this route is mainly uphill, and the rock scramble at the end was the closest thing I have done to rock climbing on a hike. I would not consider it moderate except for the length. Beautiful though!

did what many do, connect from cathedral spires. can't beat it.

Amazing view from top while not too strenuous of a hike!

Another beautiful view! We connected to this trail from cathedral spires, and the views from up high are so worth it! More exposed trail with no much shade (at least from the connection at the spires) so go early and bring lots of water!

Beauuuutiful Trail! And the view from the peak is unreal. Loved this hike.

We hiked this trail after connecting from the Cathedral Spires Trail. Fairly easy hike until a bit of rock scrambling near the final ascent to the top. The view is excellent from the top.

Connected via cathedral spires trail. Highly recommend

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Not too difficult until you get to the end. I thoroughly enjoyed the last part climbing up the rocks. Lots to explore at the top. wouldn't bring small children due to the climbing. I sent mine back down with my husband before getting to the really fun part.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Just finished this hike with the family. The view of Harney Peak, the back of Mt Rushmore and the surrounding land is breathtaking!

One suggestion...Leave you packs and hiking sticks when you have to make the first scramble up the crack in the mountain. It gets rather interesting up and down with extra weight and things in your hand.

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

I love the variety of terrain.. starting in a leafy wooded meadow, then climbing into evergreens and rock formations.. and then scrambling up the granite 'pinnacle' to views of Harney Peak Lookout, Cathedral Spires, the backside of Mt Rushmore... its a great hike! The last scramble can be intimidating, but it is worth it!

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Great hike. Tricky towards the top in snow and slush but would be fine in good weather. Started at Sylvan Lake for the extra 1 1/2 miles.

Monday, May 15, 2017

Beautiful scenery, family friendly hike

Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Fun. Great views

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Thought the trail was great, but the end was underwhelming. The first 3/4 of the trail is beautiful, and an easy to moderate hike, the difficulty picks up at the end a little but the end of it wasn't my favorite.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Not too difficult of a hike, but if you're not used to the elevation, you might feel a little winded. Most of the hike is on a well-travelled path that is easy to follow. I went on a weekday, and there weren't that many people there. There is very little shade and it was around 80 degrees the other day, so I was hot, but it was cooler higher up. I found the hike a little boring at first, except that the view at the end made it totally worth it. Be prepared for some rock climbing at the end...I'm not that incredibly fit, but I found it completely doable with a good pair of hiking shoes.

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Take your time and explore!