Little Devils Tower Spur Trail

Little Devils Tower Spur Trail is a 3.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Custer, South Dakota that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

What a beautiful hike to Little Devils Tower and back 3.8 miles. Temp was about 64 and pure blue skies and sun. It was so awesome when we got to the top to see the 360 degree views. You’ll be climbing and scrambling on large boulders. Breathtaking.

We didn't come up from the lake, wish we had had time to do that part too, came over from cathedral spires via Trail4 and went up on the rock, about the last quarter or so of the trail. Worth the view!

This is one of the best hikes I ever did!!!! Beautiful views and lots of wildlife.

Great views, trail well laid out.

Great hike with rewarding views!

Exposed, this route is mainly uphill, and the rock scramble at the end was the closest thing I have done to rock climbing on a hike. I would not consider it moderate except for the length. Beautiful though!

did what many do, connect from cathedral spires. can't beat it.

Amazing view from top while not too strenuous of a hike!

Another beautiful view! We connected to this trail from cathedral spires, and the views from up high are so worth it! More exposed trail with no much shade (at least from the connection at the spires) so go early and bring lots of water!

Beauuuutiful Trail! And the view from the peak is unreal. Loved this hike.

We hiked this trail after connecting from the Cathedral Spires Trail. Fairly easy hike until a bit of rock scrambling near the final ascent to the top. The view is excellent from the top.

Connected via cathedral spires trail. Highly recommend

Not too difficult until you get to the end. I thoroughly enjoyed the last part climbing up the rocks. Lots to explore at the top. wouldn't bring small children due to the climbing. I sent mine back down with my husband before getting to the really fun part.

Just finished this hike with the family. The view of Harney Peak, the back of Mt Rushmore and the surrounding land is breathtaking!

One suggestion...Leave you packs and hiking sticks when you have to make the first scramble up the crack in the mountain. It gets rather interesting up and down with extra weight and things in your hand.

I love the variety of terrain.. starting in a leafy wooded meadow, then climbing into evergreens and rock formations.. and then scrambling up the granite 'pinnacle' to views of Harney Peak Lookout, Cathedral Spires, the backside of Mt Rushmore... its a great hike! The last scramble can be intimidating, but it is worth it!

Great hike. Tricky towards the top in snow and slush but would be fine in good weather. Started at Sylvan Lake for the extra 1 1/2 miles.

Beautiful scenery, family friendly hike

Fun. Great views

Thought the trail was great, but the end was underwhelming. The first 3/4 of the trail is beautiful, and an easy to moderate hike, the difficulty picks up at the end a little but the end of it wasn't my favorite.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Not too difficult of a hike, but if you're not used to the elevation, you might feel a little winded. Most of the hike is on a well-travelled path that is easy to follow. I went on a weekday, and there weren't that many people there. There is very little shade and it was around 80 degrees the other day, so I was hot, but it was cooler higher up. I found the hike a little boring at first, except that the view at the end made it totally worth it. Be prepared for some rock climbing at the end...I'm not that incredibly fit, but I found it completely doable with a good pair of hiking shoes.