Learn more

Iron Creek Trail is a 4.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hermosa, South Dakota. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.9 miles Elevation Gain: 318 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Did an early morning hike here. Smells really good with all the wild roses and the smell of the trees waking up to the morning sun. Trail was a little buggy but no mosquitos until you get to the main bridge over the stream at the end of the trail. Hike is easy, with a slow gradual incline and a gravel trail all the way.

Easy hike. Great for any ability. Beautiful trail along a stream which is mostly shaded. Only saw a few people on a Sunday mid morning

bridge out

I doubt I’ll find a trail I love as much as this one. Enough said.

To be honest this was a great trail. There were no steep inclines, just gradual. Honestly I didn't even notice it until we turned around and we were going "down". I recommend wearing bug spray and if you have seasonal allergies... taking some allergy meds beforehand. There were a few spots that were overgrown near the bridges and you have to either forge through the brush or get your feet wet crossing the stream. It felt great getting my feet wet on our hike cause it was a sunny warm day. Also my husband found enjoyment sifting in the stream for pretty granite and rocks with some gold flakes. This is a great hike. We went on a Saturday around 11 AM and saw maybe 5 people. The views are pretty too. I recommend this to anyone who just wants to go on a relaxing hike.

A nice out an back. Pro tip: bring a bottle of wine and leave in the creek 2/3 of the way out. Liz check it!

bridge out

Beautiful hike. Lots of water one bridge was missing but in summer I would t think it is an issue.

bridge out

Sooo peaceful and serene. Took us 2.5 hours to do a little over 5 miles from start to finish. Some creek crossings are washed out and you have to find your own way, which is doable without getting wet but might be tricky for small kids or people with limited mobility. Incline is almost unnoticeable.

bridge out

Gorgeous scenery! 6.2 miles out and back (parking to parking and back). Very easy except for a few crossings where the footbridge washed away. There are ample boulders in these areas to make crossing possible without getting wet.

icy

Nice steady incline- still had snow on the trail. Absolutely peaceful and beautiful- my kids did amazing!

Not rocky just a beautiful steady incline ... top 10 of mine for serenity

bridge out

Beautiful trail. Some bridges are out so you do have to walk in the water to continue most of the trail.

My new favorite. Nothing steep or crazy. Beautiful fall colors.

Easy hike, a bit muddy. Didn’t make it all the way because of passing the water. The last bridge was not accessible. Beautiful fall colors

Wonderful hike. The trail is in decent shape. It's muddy from the recent weather. The trail is well marked and easy to follow. Fall colors are popping. Beautiful hike.

Very level trail with a couple rolling hills. Most bridges are intact, a couple out but the water is slow moving and shallow. Some muddy spots but easy to get thru.

bridge out

This is a great trail for novice hikers (we are). The elevation change was overall gradual. The trail is mostly shady and crosses Iron Creek 11 times. Each crossing is supposed to have a bridge, but half of them were out, so you must cross in the creek - you will get wet! Recent rains made the trail muddy, but navigation was still easy. We had our dogs with us and they loved getting in the water!

Great quick out and back. Cross streams but has bridges to cross. Very pretty. Lots of trees. Lots of shade. A must do while you are in the area.

Beautiful!!!

I had fun on this trail but there was so much

Mon Sep 10 2018

Beautiful views of rock formations. Easy hike.

Wed Aug 08 2018

Great trail! Followed water the entire time. We had lunch at the water, it was beautiful time!

Fri Jun 29 2018

Creek was high & several crossings were stepping stones only & the high water & current made crossing difficult. Lots of poison ivy along the trail. Shared trail with mostly horses. Fairly flat easy & not very crowded.