Horse Thief Lake Trail

Horse Thief Lake Trail is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Keystone, South Dakota that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and fishing and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The end loop does NOT exist. Stay to the right. We were trying to find the trail for an hour and were in the middle of a timber field. Learn from our mistake. This is a true out and back only.

Fun hike with my son again... Slight upgrade most of the way in... I am finding just about every hike with my GSD that is graded as “Easy” I am going to upgrade to “Moderate” in my book! :)
Because every time we get to those water/rock crossings they don’t know take it easy... They seem to know their route long b4 they get there. And boom they’re gone! :)
I definitely need a good pair of hiking boots however if I’m good keep hiking! Our 3.8 hike wound up being 4.2. Fun...Fun!

Good hike with the kids... about 90% I would consider an “easy” hike.... the other involved hopping rocks and dealing with traveling along the creek and hurtling logs over the paths

Love hiking in this area

Invigorating and beautiful in the fall. We enjoyed the variety of ecosystems. North end of trail is rustic but this app keeps you on the right trail.

The best part of this trail is the rocks you can climb off trail. That is where the great views are....

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Great hike. Moderate grade creeks and some great views when you get to the top. Only do the loop part if you are an experienced hiker and can bushwhack through the wilderness

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

More of a walk than a hike. Slight incline but mostly flat. Not much to see other than trees.

Monday, June 26, 2017

the end loop isnt marked, but other than that it was a variety of sights and types of trail, bolders, sands, gravel and rivers.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

Beautiful hike with a waterfall along the way.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

After reading the reviews, we headed straight out expecting no loop at the end. Sure enough, no readily visible loop. Tried following the GPS path for a bit also but turned back and just made it an out and back. Too many branches covering the path you were imagining more than seeing.

But for the path you could rely on it was great and covered overhead for most of the first half with paths that crisscrossed a small stream. Nice, cool and relaxing. The second half you got up high enough to see the rocks around you but not any long distance views. Most of the rocks you were seeing were actually those from the first half of the trip. Good spots to stop and rest around the rocks in the first half of the trip. There were plenty of Aspen and Birch trees along the route which would probably make it a good hike in the Fall as well.

Overall, a great hike for a cool June Day.

Monday, May 29, 2017

loved the view and the hike was overall super easy

Monday, November 28, 2016

Very nice trail, but I would consider this a walk through the woods instead of a hike. Trail #14 (horsethief) merges with centennial trail #89 shortly into the trail trek, so there is a variety of directions for a person to explore. All in all this trail is still a beautiful place to explore with streams, rock formations and birch trees around every corner!

Thursday, August 18, 2016

A nice short distant trail with some great rock formations and views. This trail had lots of traffic during the summer month of June when I visited. Beautiful area.

Friday, July 29, 2016

For our first moderate trail, it was great. Loved the stream alongside the trail and rock formations. Challenging for both my kids and myself.

Monday, July 11, 2016

Great trail. Took all three of my boys ages 9,4,and 2. Kids had a great time, there were a few spots that were interesting with a 2 year old, but the kids, wife, and I all had a blast. We also took our two dogs. The hike is an easy steady grade with quite a few level spots on the way to the top.

Friday, January 24, 2014

very long hike, lots of trees in the way, great alternative because it's free, go hike it, by the koa by mount rushmore

Friday, January 24, 2014

easy and fun

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Awesome view if you make your way over some rocks to the west at the highest point of the trail. Seems to be used pretty lightly, and there is a lake right by the trailhead. Excellent.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Can go to alot of places from here and there is some climbing in the canyon, some 5.10's and there is one 5.12b that looks super crazy

Wednesday, October 10, 2012