Homesteader Nature Trail

Homesteader Nature Trail is a 1.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Brandon, South Dakota that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is a nature extravaganza. Throughout the course of the trail hikers will walk through a creek bottom, loland forest, a plum thicket, native prairie, and upland forest.

It's hard to tell where you're supposed to go, all of the sudden the trail gets overgrown. The parts that were maintained were great. The bridges were fun, the creek was pretty and the old homestead is very cool.

Friday, June 17, 2016

We had a terrible time on this trail today. None of the turns were marked, major portions were overgrown with briars, and some parts were blocked by downed branches. We found a map online, but I can't say that was much help either. We won't be back.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Sunday, April 24, 2016

My family and I loved this place. But we only know it by the name of Beaver Creek Nature Area.

Lots of twists and turns. There is never a boring view and you have plenty of choices to make on what path you want to travel.

Friday, July 18, 2014

Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Why I like this trail. It's away from major roads off from a gravel road so is it's low traffic even on weekends. Ash, oak and a few American elm and box elder trees are the bulk of the canopy. A suspended footbridge and old log cabin to add interest to an otherwise ordinary trail. I am purposefully giving it a rating of 3 stars to keep star rankings from adding more traffic to an otherwise tranquil trail. Great family trail. @backpackerneil

Monday, June 06, 2011

Great trail with lots of different vegetation.