Hell Canyon Trail

Hell Canyon Trail is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Custer, South Dakota that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

from Custer, Sd go west to Jewel Cave Nat'l Mon. continue west few miles to sign along Hwy 16

21 minutes ago

Best trail I've hiked in 5 years here in sd.

Awesome hike ... glad we went counter clockwise.

Great hike!

I really enjoyed hiking the clockwise direction. hiking along the rim the views were spectacular then the descent into the canyon itself through the pines was a welcoming change of scenery.

Hiked last weekend and trail is getting icy, especially west side descent into canyon. Hiking pole was a great help. Several areas warrant extra care and will slow down the hike. Otherwise a really great trail with nice views and variety.

One of my favorite trails in the Black Hills. Beautiful views from the top of the canyon. Did this hike in the fall, the colors are amazing. Did the loop counter clock wise, the trail is pretty easy after the first mile once your on top of the canyon. This trail is a must do for anyone.

Hiked this at Dusk with dogs! Brilliant!
Not sure why it's called hells canyon cause loved it!

Out of about 5 hikes in Blk Hills this was favorite so far!
It's a good 5 mile loop.
I'd recommend going anti clockwise.
Although it would be an easier finish hiking clockwise as the west side is more up and down.
Gorgeous views and it's autumn now so that's a bonus with gorgeous colors. I'd give yourself a good two hrs to complete the loop.

I went clockwise, which is opposite from how the trail is shown (based on elevation) and liked getting the hard part out of the way and coming out of the canyon instead of down the big hill. I was pleasantly surprised by the views, and there were so many birds and flowers! Make sure to do the spur, and keep an eye out for shell imprints in the rock.

Hiked it today, nice trail with lots of Choke Cherries and a few wild raspberries, not sure bit there might have been a little weed growing about 2/3rds the way down the bottom.

we really enjoyed this hike. Good for some wildlife viewing (marmots, birds and the occasional non-venomous snake). Recommendations: go clockwise (start to the left closer to the road) so that you do the hard part first, get the great views and then have a more leisurely decent into the valley; wear bug spray on your legs, as there are ticks; and wear sunscreen, as there is not much shade. During the summer, you might be lucky enough to find small raspberry-like berries, which are delicious.

A little strenuous if you start at the trail head gate heading up the steep incline to the spur. I recommend going backwards, unless you'd rather hike up and ease your way down. I'm not in the best of shape and was able to hike to the spur and back in exactly 1.5 hours, though the trip back down was harsh on the knees. So very worth the effort.

Monday, October 10, 2016

Solid trail. Took it backwards with my dogs, and ended up going out to the outlook (totally worth it) going backward all the hard work is front loaded so most of the hike is quite leisurely.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Visited the cave and decided to go for a hike. Pretty trail with a variety of things to see. Some some wildlife along the trail. You have to pay attention where you are going or you could miss your turns. Needs to be marked better in areas.

Wednesday, May 04, 2016

I did the full trail. In 2hrs! I hiked up 1st then hiked down into the canyon. It was a great day for a hike. The beginning of the trail up is steep.

Sunday, February 07, 2016

I worked clockwise and hiked the rim first. It was an amazing view after a decent snowfall. I wish I would've gone through the canyon first and saved the rim for last. Also just be mindful of the mountain lions. I saw some pretty big tracks in the fresh snow.

Friday, August 14, 2015

Awesome trail. But if you go through the canyon first, be careful not to miss the sharp turn uphill at the farthest point in the trail.

Friday, July 31, 2015

It was fun. Me and my family finished this trail around 3 hours. We did it backwards starting in the canyon. I prefer this route so you can save the mountain top for the end. There is a cave down in the canyon which was a beautiful site. The best part was hiking the backside of the mountain. Lots of beautiful scenes. Towards the top we could really see where the fire hit.

Friday, May 29, 2015

This place does "desolate scenery" very well. That fire will always be remembered by Hells Canyon and all its inhabitants. The upper rim is very worth the hike so start at the bottom and save the best for last. The girlfriend and I had a total of 22 ticks on us throughout the hike, so check your dogs if you go during tick season.

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Beautiful scenery, this is a 6 mile loop that I did counter clockwise. The first half was a great trail up on the ridge looking down into the canyon. The second half once you drop into the canyon was very tall grass and the trail was very grown over. I ended up with 2 ticks. This area was burned in 2000 and no trees have grown back since.

Friday, November 11, 2016