East Bison Flats Trail

East Bison Flats Trail is a 10.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Custer, South Dakota that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 10.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,463 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Awesome hike. I saw numerous Bison, Pronghorn Antelope and a herd of Elk. The trail is overgrown but still easy to follow. The trail is well marked. Every 200-400 yards is a Telephone pole side post standing 3 feet tall with the trail number. The issue is the bison like using them to rub against. A couple were torn from the ground. The first 3 1/2 miles across Bison Flats is trail 3. You then hit a dirt road you turn right on and stay on for 1/2 mile. Then turn left into trail 7 for a little over a mile to the turn around point. U had to divert several times to get around the buffalo. The trail posts made it easy to stay oriented.

Fun trail with rolling hills. Saw bison, prairie dogs, pronghorns, and dear on this hike. Overall, nice mix of flat grassland and inclines. Keep an eye out for trail markers as the trail disappears in a few spots.

Lovely trail. Not too difficult but enough up and down hiking to keep it interesting. Lots of prairie dogs. Signs(patties) of bison. Would do it again.

Sunday, May 27, 2018

One of my favorite hikes within wind cave! The trail in definitely overgrown in some areas. Also this is in wind cave national park so dogs are NOT allowed on the trail.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

We started hiking this trail from the far south end. It was beautiful! No one else was in sight. Amazing rolling hills and such a peaceful experience. The only challenge was the trail obviously doesn't get much use and was overgrown. It was kind of fun "breaking trail" more or less, but it'd be a challenge for some. Overall, I would definitely do it again.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

I got there a little later than intended and missed hearing the elk bugal much but I did see them on the trail. There were also deer, antelope, coyote, bison and prairie dogs. Signs for the trail at the parking area would have been nice. I nearly missed the small print sign to turn off the 2 track onto the trail. it looked like game used it more than people. Runkeeper said it was 7.6 from where I parked.

Monday, April 27, 2015

This trail is located in Wind Cave National Park. I have run the trail (when I worked at Wind Cave). I believe it is open all year, rather than just April to October. The date I entered is just an estimate.

Sunday, November 12, 2017