Eagle Cliff Trails

Eagle Cliff Trails is a 4 mile loop trail located near Lead, South Dakota that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A lot of fallen trees that block the trail. You can climb over them but these just make it more challenging. Beautiful scenery but no wildlife today

Snow depth was amazing. NOAA stated 40"-50", I would say closer to 30"! Still a beautiful and moderately strenuous snowshoe adventure. My nephew tagged along, but doesn't own snowshoes and struggled the entire time. Plenty of great looping/crossing trails that are reasonably marked but as a first time visitor to the area, they come up a bit short. Found myself relying heavily on GPS. I suspect these trails to be much more easy to navigate without snow cover but then we wouldn't be snowshoeing. Due to the low number of reviews/photos, I did not have a high expectation for the area. However, it exceeded my expectations in accessibility and beauty. I would definitely snowshoe or hike this area again.

Very cool! Multiple trails that loop together. Very well marked and maps at most major intersections. Excellent snowshoe and cross country trails in winter.

The multiple trails are cool, but navigating and signage are lacking. Planning to go again to go on more different trails.

Saturday, August 09, 2014

So I went on this trail system in early August. While the trails are generally marked well, there was often no trail. I think this is a great snow-shoeing and cross-country skiing site, but not necessary hiking. As far as I could tell, everything marked EASY (south side) was just a worn down vehicle path. Everything that was marked HARD didn't exist, the sign was there, but no trail, just 4-foot tall grass; to me, that isn't a trail. I would encourage winter sports enthusiasts to give this a go, but otherwise, I was a bit disappointed.

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Great trail. Some good up and down and very open pine woods. The only thing I didn't like was dodging the cow chips. The trails were easy to lose, though well marked.

Sunday, June 11, 2017