Crow Peak Trail

Crow Peak Trail is a 5.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Spearfish, South Dakota that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Took Bentley for a beautiful, fun fall hike.

This was a fun trail, although a bit scary for me because I have a fear of heights. It is definitely longer than 5.9 miles. I tracked almost 7. Enjoy

Did this a couple weekends ago with a non-hiking friend and a dog, both of whom handled it well. Since it is out and back, the whole way there is uphill, but is a nice steady incline instead of any drastic ups and downs. There was a point when I wondered if we would ever get to the top, but once we finally did I was so enthralled with the view! Very nice trail with a few interesting rockslide areas along the way.

Great hike. My 14 y/o son and I hiked it and we made it up in almost exactly 1hr 45 minutes. We did take a few rests as well, so an in shape person could probably make it in 1hr 15-30 minutes. I would say this hike is easily moderate but maybe moderate to hard, somewhere in between. We did see some smaller children with adults, so maybe I'm just a wimp! Either way, it is challenging.

Spectacular hike with amazingly lush terrain (due to the over abundance of rain) on the way to the peak.. The peak offered views of SD and Wyoming. Definitely worth the time!

Check out a few of the breweries in Spearfish as a reward!

Great trail. Easy to find. Last mile is a bit tiring. Great views. Constant elevation.

I loved this trail! Easy to find & well marked, easy to follow! There were plenty of hikers, although not crowded at all. Starts with a soft ascent & climbs steadily but comfortably through shaded Forrest trails with pretty wildflowers & great views. There were some challenges like a rocky path, some climb overs & narrowed areas but these made it fun! The view at the top was fantastic & worth every mile!!! Definitely a good one to do in this area!!

Good hike, trail was pretty soggy in a few spots. marvelous views, the regrowth from the fire 2 years ago is lush and the green against some of the charred trunks makes for breathtaking scenery on this hike.

We completed Crow Peak in 4 hours round trip, with some water stops along the way. It was very hot and humid, making for a very sweaty hike, but cool breezes at the top. PS. someone left their binoculars at the top...they are hanging on the summit sign. Incredible view at the top, after some steep switchbacks. I would rate moderate to patches of difficult.

This was the wife's and my first hike of the year, and it was GORGEOUS. We decided to take our time and enjoy the hike, and brought our 4 year old shepherd lab mix. We made it up in an hour and thirty eight minutes, taking 3 short tests along the way. the views are amazing, and the vegetation is lush in many places. we're not extremely fit, but fairly active and we found this hike, at our leisurely pace, to be between easy and moderate. after a brief lunch at the top, we made it down in and hour and ten minutes, essentially letting our hips and gravity set the pace. The trail itself is very well maintained and easy to follow. This is a must do for a short half day hike or if you're in the area.

Not a fair review, cause we didn’t make it to the top, so no views. Hiking along in the lush forest was pretty. Lots of wildflowers. A consistent uphill hike, but not too difficult, we were worried about the weather coming in.

Long hike and friendly people.

Great hike, but I dont know that I would call it moderate. It was fairly difficult. lots of loose rocks, continuous uphill climb. beautiful wildflowers and views along the way. took us closer to 2 hours to get to the top.

Fun trail. Hiked it today with my wife and dog, took us an 1 hr 15 minutes to reach the summit, and about the same coming down. The views kept getting better as we climbed higher.

Starts with mild grades, progresses to beautiful vistas from above the lower tree lines. Clear path, took us about 2 hours to get up, stunning view from the peak. GPS was being wonky, just follow the road until you come to a larger lot and a small rusted gate entrance.

Amazing hike, beautiful scenery!!

Great hike today! Views from the top are fantastic!

Nice hike, novice hikers and we were able to make it to the peak in 2 hours with plenty of little breaks.

One of the longer hikes I've done in the hills. Took a little longer than an hour to get to the summit. Great view at the top.

Great hike. It took my dog and I 62 minutes to reach the summit, walking at a brisk pace. About 2.4 miles up there's some treefall that you have to climb over/around, but other than that the trail conditions are perfect.

Great hike but the sign at the head of the trail states this trail is 3.5 Miles to the top making it 7 Miles total. Small amount of snow and 66 degrees. Amazing hike.

Decently hard trail. Most of it is straight up hill and there is a lot of trees blocking some views but still pretty amazing scenery.

We tried to go up for a sunrise hike yesterday (April 21, 2018) but we didn’t expect it to take so long to get up there. It is 3.29 miles from car to Peak, according to my Apple Watch. If you are in good shape this is still a relatively hard hike. It is straight uphill hike. It has beautiful views and the trail is well established. We are in really good shape and it took us about an hour and half non-stop to get to the top.

Also please remember to keep your dogs on leashes. If your dog is well behaved some people are still scared of dogs. And you do not know how other dogs react to your dog.

Minimal snow/ice patches at the bottom with obvious trails. Towards the top there were a few areas with more snow but overall a great hike with amazing views!

First time on this trail with the intention of snowshoeing. At the start of the hike it was mostly icy/muddy combination and t-shirt temps. Ended up using crampons for the entire hike and carried the snowshoes. Several sections on the upper portion have a dozen or so trees down across the trail but nothing major to navigate around. Snow storm with winds moved in as we hit the 5,300 ft. elevation. Plenty of Whitetail deer to view and followed one set of older lion tracks on the trail but never spotted it. Snow and low cloud ceiling blocked the views from the summit but was still an amazing snow hike. By time we returned to the trailhead approximate 3"-5" of snow had fallen. Only a couple markers for this trail, but the trail is used enough to remain apparent even with fresh snow falling. Strenuous hike but enjoyable. I will definitely hike this trail again!

not much to see until the very top and it's a very constant uphill slope. seemed very very long, but was a great view... and is said to be haunted so that's a little fun

Saturday, September 30, 2017

All up hill made it a challenge. View from the top wad nice but trees blocked your view most of the way up.
Fall leaves changing was timed perfectly.

Saturday, September 02, 2017

Beautiful scenery. Our GPS said it was 8.5 miles round trip, and it really seemed like that. The views were wonderful along the way, too, so if you want to go 1/2 or 3/4 of the way, you'd be rewarded. The trailhead is well marked & there's good parking there.

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

It's a great hike with a wonderful view at the top. A lot of loose rock makes it a little more difficult for dogs

Thursday, August 10, 2017

The trail still has a little fire damage but it is a great hike filled with beautiful flowers everywhere. We had 70's and a light breeze so it is hard not to have a great day and hike with that. There is a good variety of different areas along the way. I would do this again.