Bear Butte State Park Trail

Bear Butte State Park Trail is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sturgis, South Dakota that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from May until November.

Took me 1.5 hr going up, 1.0 hr return. Some ice patches on higher elevations. Some damage from recent fire. Amazing views on top. Caution: this is an important native sacred site, desecration has been known to bring bad luck. Walk quietly, do not touch prayer flags.

Good work out and beautiful views

It’s a great work out.

Great hike

If heights bother you, not the best! Nice trail with great views! Nice trail head!

Awesome hike with a great view

Very spiritual. Lovely hike!

Sunday, November 27, 2016

One of my favorites in this area.

Thursday, October 06, 2016

Really cool hike on a well maintained trail. Great view from the top. Its a must do if your in the area

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Absolutely relaxing and beautiful views. Rained on us ! We still had a picnic. Let's do this again !

Sunday, July 03, 2016

The views are fantastic! Make sure to take lots of water and wear sturdy shoes.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Great hike, worth it for the view.

Friday, July 01, 2016

A great hike

Monday, June 27, 2016

Wonderful hike! It's a moderate to hard hike. Quite vertical the second half with lots of loose schist rock. Completely worth it though for the view.

Sunday, April 03, 2016

Very nice trail

Monday, March 21, 2016

I've hiked this one twice. Moderate hike with a lot of great views. The last time i hiked it was this February, so the description of it being closed until May is incorrect.

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Great views of surrounding countryside.

Sunday, August 03, 2014

Beautiful hike - bring a big jug of water and a walking stick! Poison Ivy was turning red so it was easy to spot on our hike - seemed a bit steep in places but well worth the work - would hike again if given the chance!

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

This is a beautiful hike. Don't plan to take your dogs, they aren't allowed on the trails, also remember it is a spiritual place for the Sioux Nation. You will see prayer flags and ceremonial sweat buildings along the way. I am always at peace and one when I am at Bear Butte.

Monday, December 02, 2013

This was one of my favorite hikes I've done! It might have been the people that I went with, but I still think that it is a very fun and beautiful hike. I went in the early spring and when we were half way up it started to drizzle. By the time we reached the top, it was snowing! It was foggy so we didn't have much of a view, but seeing all the prayer cloths tried to the trees up there was beautiful just the same!