Yellow Branch Falls Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(669)
Stumphouse Mountain Bike Park

Yellow Branch Falls Trail is a 3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Walhalla, South Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 465 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The hike to Yellow Branch Falls is a backtrack hike over moderate terrain that ends at a beautiful 50-foot vertical waterfall with many individual cascades. The hike begins at the picnic area off of SC 28 and follows a connector trail and then joins the Yellow Branch Falls Trail to the waterfall. On the route you pass through groves of dignified hardwood and meander across a number of streams. In the winter you can see the Town of Walhalla in the distance when the trees are bare. The National Forest Service recommends that you wear sturdy shoes and use extra caution during wet conditions on this hike as the trail skirts the edges of deep ravines.

This trail is 2 miles to the falls so 4 miles total. We saw 3 different snakes on the trail coming back and they were quite close to the trail. The trail was quite fun and easy for the first part. Jumping and hopping on rocks to cross the creek at 3 different spots. The trail is very narrow for at least a mile. There are not very many places to actually sit down and rest. There is very little room for people to pass by on the trail. The branches and trees cover up a good view of the falls. This is definitely a hike that you should go down if you just love the walk and not as much the destination. It is hilly on the last leg of the trail & with muddy areas, my running shoes were sliding. 4 days after the hike & my calves are still screaming at me- so sore from the hike. At the falls, it’s muddy and you have to sit on the ground in the mud if you want to rest.

The mountain laurel was on full display. Gorgeous hike - one of the best in the Upstate. There were a few large trees down in from of the falls that obstructs some of the view. Also, to the kid who carved “Will You Go To Prom With Me?” in the big tree by the falls, I hope she said no and kicked your ass down the river.

Great trail, unfortunately a lot of trash left behind from the holiday weekend so I spent a lot of time trying to pick up after other lazy humans. But it’s a beautiful waterfall and totally worth the hike! Please be mindful and don’t litter our gorgeous forests.

There were many downed trees in front of the waterfall

Beautiful trail, but a lot of storm damage.

Great easy trail considering all the rain lately. Definitely muddy but the trail is well maintained. Waterfall was just beautiful and worth the hike. A few creek crossings but manageable. Saw all types of people hiking the trail but not too busy for a Friday afternoon. Probably more popular on the weekend.

Great Trail. This was my families first trail, my children are 8 and 10. We all loved it

Wow what an incredibly beautiful waterfall! Probably one of the best waterfalls I've hiked to in a long time. But I have to say... I was completely DISAPPOINTED in the amount of trash that was left behind by humans. This is why we can't have nice things people!! This is a National forest, ALWAYS leave with what you came with. Please.

I really enjoyed this trail! The waterfall was stunning at the end. A fair amount of exposed roots, so you have to watch your step, but other than that, it’s not too hard! I went on a weekday and it was not too crowded, but I can imagine it can get really tight and crowded on a weekend!

I’ve been on this trail more than once. My dog has walked it fairly easy, kid friendly, trails are all marked and paths are maintained. A fun hike!

Beautiful trail! Mountain laurels and rhododendrons are in bloom this time of year filling the air with fragrance. The waterfall at the end of the trail didn’t disappoint. I’m glad we went on a weekday, and it wasn’t too crowded. We loved this place and will definitely come back!

Great trail on middle moderate level for not every day hikers. Family and dogs had a great time. If small parking lot is full I would leave and come back another day, hard to really enjoy the falls at end if there are a lot of people.

Great hike to a beautiful waterfall that is not strenuous. Great for the whole family, especially on weekdays which is when we went. There are a couple of water crossings along the way as well.

We went on a weekday, so it wasn’t too crowded. It’s a nice hike, not too strenuous. Very nice trail that ends in a beautiful waterfall. Will definitely do it again!

Always a nice hike with a great payoff. Under COVID social distancing, best to go on weekdays as weekends are typically over-crowded. Here is a quick video of our hike: https://youtu.be/ClujuS8oG2Y

Going on the weekdays is key. It would be difficult to walk (and enjoy) the trails with a lot of people in the park. The trails can get narrow at parts and often meander around ravines. The waterfalls were fabulous...well worth the hike....but if you go during the busy times, the waterfall area would not be fun.....the area is just not that big......In summary, this is definitely one of the nicest hike/waterfall adventures so far.

Not good for social distancing. Large numbers of people. Slightly muddy right now.

Great trail. One of my favorites to hike with an amazing ending. One of the prettiest waterfalls in South Carolina. The trail starts out as one of the most scenic I have ever been on with some pretty creek crossings. Also plenty of mushrooms, plants and snails along the way. My group of hikers definitely loved it. Very photogenic trail and waterfall

Love this trail. By the way it’s a Great trail for a first time adventurer. Was crowded at the falls - which may it difficult to enjoy and keep our distance but loved it just the same

Pretty good trail for my family, including a 4yr old. The stream crossings were my favorite part of the hike, besides the waterfall. I am glad I wore boots with decent ankle support due to all the roots. Get there early as it began to get busy when we were hiking out, and the trail gets pretty narrow at times.

This trail is great, and the waterfall is beautiful. It does get a little narrow in places, but doesn’t feel dangerous. It’s about 2 hours round trip, and coming back is much harder than going. It gets crowded quickly right now.

Good trail! With the current world going on it’s been a lot busier than I’ve ever seen it, so I’d recommend going on a week day or early in the morning on weekends. It’s an easy hike with a pretty waterfall! Easy to find, good for all ages and hiking levels

Beautiful trail with two nice waterfalls but the one at the end is Amazing!!! I would say this trail is on the lower end of moderate. Great trail in the summer since it is all trees. Loved following the yellow river.

Great trail!

Totally recommend! Went today with my 7yo, and my sister backpacked my 1yo niece! We all had a blast, and the waterfalls are totally work the trek. Definitely a moderate trail, but also not too hard for someone out of shape like this mama! Trail has spots where you go thru/over water... wear water friendly shoes! (We wore Chaco’s.)

Took my 5 year old and 2 year old. Such a great hike! The waterfall at the end was beautiful. We spent some time playing in the water before hiking out and enjoying the falls before hiking out! Definitely a favorite!

Great hike in the woods with a lovely little creek following you most of the way to the gorgeous waterfall. There were three parts on the trail where you cross over the creek that will get your feet wet if not in the correct shoes. My hubby was in tennis shoes and was fine but had to be very careful as a few spits were very muddy. The trail is narrow in many places so be kind and let people pass if you can. Elevation change makes it a moderate level hike. Probably 30 or so wood stairs create to keep the trail from eroding. You are in a forest so there are lots of roots on the trail so watch your step. It was very busy with people and dogs. The falls are fun to play in and gorgeous; totally worth the hike.