Table Rock Trail is a 6.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Pickens, South Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Greenville: Drive north on US 276 north until it joins SC 11. Stay on SC 11 when it branches from US 276 and continue for approximately 7 miles to the West Gate of Table Rock State Park on the right. Enter the park and follow the signs to the Nature Center. After a short hike on the Carrick Creek Trail, bear to the right onto the Table Rock NRT.

I did this trail on a weekday in early October and it was perfect! I saw only a handful of people so it wasn’t crowded this day. The trail is mainly shaded for the entirety of your journey, although it was still nice and humid. It’s basically a constant incline, featuring lots of rock steps and some just gradual incline. So on the way back you’re at a constant decline which is a nice reward. It’s a pretty long trail but so worth the views. Halfway up the “out” portion of the trail you’ll get your first taste of the views and from there, there were about 3-4 more epic viewpoints. Take lots of water and at least a few decent snacks because the trail is essentially almost 7 miles long in total.

This is a tough one. Hardest one we've done so far. Bring lots water we ran out coming back down. The views at the end are amazing. There were only a couple of things I didn't care for and neither had to do with the trail. We started at 9:30 and this hike was really busy the whole time. Several people were playing loud music and being loud themselves. It took something away from the experience. I do feel a huge sense of accomplishment though, this one was tough.

beautiful!

Easily the best hike I’ve done so far in S.C. Plenty challenging with a great payoff at the end.

It's been a few years since I hiked this trail, but its a great one. At roughly 700 ft of climbing per mile, it is a tough one but it doesn't take a marathon runner to do it. I did the trail in early September so it was real hot. Do take plenty of water and some food. The trail starts off moderately; then gets steep about 1/2 way up. There is a good overlook at the shelter but it only gets better. You hit a ridge line where you get views facing south that are incredible. After this the hike is not as steep as you hike towards the summit. Once you hit the summit it goes downhill a bit towards the view that overlooks the reservoir. The day I went it was kind of rainy so there was hardly anyone on the back side of the mountain. You can also do a bit of exploring on top of the summit. The backside is facing north and there are not any roads or sounds other than nature. It was really quite serene. I hope to get back and do this hike. I would put this hike in my top 5 in the NC, SC, Ga mountain trails along with Looking Glass Rock hike, Blood Mountain, and Grandfather mountain.

This is by far the most difficult trail I’ve ever done. Going up is basically like 2-2.5 hours of stairmaster. There is a brief reprieve between mile 2.0 - 2.5 and after you reach the summit the last half mile is all downhill on the far side of the summit to the overlook. The hardest part for me was the half mile back to the summit when I started back down the trail from the overlook, probably just because I was so worn out from coming up. The whole trail out and back is 7.2 miles (3.6 each way). There is a lot of visible damage from recent storms, but overall a nice scenic journey. The halfway shelter is so-so, but there is a big boulder just past it that’s perfect for a rest and has A+ views. A little scrambling was required between mile 2.5 and the summit, but nothing tough. Steps have been cut/blasted into some of the steeper rock faces which makes it easy to scale those. The views from the overlook are truly some of the best I have ever seen and really gave me a new respect for the SC upstate area. There were some nice water features on the initial part of the trail also. My legs were complete jelly when I got back to the bottom and my extremities were starting to get swollen and stiff, but it was in the low 80’s and extremely humid. All in all I was glad I did it though, feels like a real accomplishment. I started at 8:30 am on a weekday and didn’t pass a single person all the way up, but did meet a few people on the way down. Seemed like there was minimal park staff around.

VERY strenuous. This hike is a very steep one and you will feel like you’re rock climbing more than hiking at times, especially as you near the end. You will definitely need the two liters of water per person that the state park recommends. I felt the work that the hike required was a bit much for the view at the end. The views were pretty, but I’ve hiked to better overlooks before. I wouldn’t recommend this as a casual hike, but it’s a good one for hiking enthusiasts.

This was the hardest hike I’ve ever completed. I used to think that the Appalachian Approach Trail was hard. Oh, the bar has been raised. It took me an embarrassing amount of time to reach the 3 mile mark. Perhaps it’s time to increase plyometrics in my workouts.

Follow the advice of bringing plenty of water. Wear grippy shoes, as there are parts of the trail that require you to scramble up boulders. I did this hike in August and didn’t get a single tick on me, which was awesome, considering I forgot the bug spray. Some mosquitoes present but not surprising, given all of the water.

Speaking of which - there are many places to stop and admire the waterfalls that trickle, cascade, and rush down the mountain. If you love waterfalls, this one ticks a lot of boxes.

The geology is beautiful and interesting here too.

The views are gorgeous. I liked the one at Governors Rock the best, though wandering the overlook past the summit was rewarding in different ways.

The plant life at the summit overlook (and Gov’s Rock) is fascinating. I’ve never seen happier moss and lichen. I also spotted a lizard up there, which was odd to me. I didn’t expect to see one.

Great hike! Watch out for rattlesnakes and bring at least 2L of water!

It's a little steep but well worth the clime.

This hike is amazing but it’s a tough one. We took some of our students from church. It’s tough and I would recommend not doing it if your out of shape. Do some small trails and build up. It whooped our tail but was amazing. It was raining so the view of terrible once we got up there but it was still decent. It’s strenuous but worth the trip if you can do it

Probably the best hike in the state of South Carolina. Some really cool spots off the beaten path if you know where to look. Make sure you get there early, it does get rather busy.

Started around 0800 yesterday morning and had some slippery/muddy trails during the first half mile or so then it dried up. Got to the scenic outlook 2 hrs later. Beautiful views!!! Definitely worth the hike. There were a few tricky parts in places that required hands to climb up but overall it was a lightly strenuous and very rewarding hike. Definitely recommend!!!

Strenuous hike but definitely worth the beautiful views once you reach the top! Feels like you’re on top of the world:)
Like others have mentioned, bring plenty of water to help stay hydrated!
Finished the hike with an immense sense of accomplishment

Loved the hike! Definitely hard going up but the views are worth it! Take plenty of water! I would hike it again in a heart beat! Lots of steps. Amazing that the trail was created by the CCC back in the 30’s.

Very good trail. Had lots of water on trails that made some of the rock climbs very slick but was overall great. Carry plenty of water.

Last thing i forgot to mention to the right of the finale overlook there is a waterfall on the side of the moutain.

Fun hike. I felt it was arduous but a beautiful view. Definitely need 2-3 L of water and snacks are worthwhile. ☺️

Very fun and great views. Honestly it was not as difficult as expected. I even saw a 6 year old hike to the top. Just a warning once you get to the sumit you must keep walking to get the best most amazing view of the trail. The trail very fun though and had several waterfalls at the beginning you can swim in after the long hike. I highly recommend to taking a few hours and trying it but bring large amouts of water i saw at least 5 groups unable to make it because they ran out by governors rock.

This Hike was amazing and difficult but the views were stunning.

Make no mistake, this trail is very, very intense. Very.

Pretty nice hike that is mildly strenuous especially the first couple miles. Factor in extra time for weather as it poured down rain the whole time we were there but still so worth it

It seems like it was only yesterday...because it was :) . This trail is a challenge! The first two miles are straight up....a lot of stone and wooden stairs to climb. Then a half mile flat...then a climb...at mile 3 another flat...and then one last push to the top. And then you descend a bit to get to the overlook. The climb down...it is not a breeze. Don't expect an easy decent. It rained briefly , just enough to slicken the rocks which slowed us up..because better safe than sorry. This was rewarding...the view is great, and you will be proud of yourself , to be sure. After the hike was over we showered in the lowest waterfall, in Cold mountain water! And then drove back to Charleston.

Hiked table Rock trail. Very strenuous uphill climb for most of it. Incline dirt trail and lots of steps up rocks. Beautiful view is your reward.

This is no joke. The hike is beautiful and my legs felt like Jello. It was intense but I am so glad I did it! My legs hurt for three days later. haha

This is a very steep trail and at times you have to almost crawl up the rocks. It is tough going up, but totally beautiful once you get there. There were dogs that made it all the way up. Going down is a breeze compared to the trip up.

This is my favorite CHALLENGING hike in S.C. I have done it many times and it never disappoints. Bring a lunch and eat it at the top with the view.

Solid challenging trail with a dope lookout

This was an awesome experience. The beginning of the trail had a waterfall/stream where kids played in. At the end of the hike it gives you the option of cooling yourself off lol. Once you get to governors rock I would say your 2/3 of the way up to the summit. If you can keep pushing forward the view is definitely worth it. I do caution there is some intervals of heavy incline. After these inclines the trail flattens out a bit to give you a decent break before the next one.

A great hike on a clear summer day. Gets pretty steep and rocky in some areas. Plenty of options to take additional trails and loops around. The streams and waterfalls right after the trailhead are a great treat after a long hike.

At the time of writing the both water fountains at the trailhead were out of service. Make sure you come prepared with at least 2 liters!