Palmetto Trail Swamp Fox Passage

Palmetto Trail Swamp Fox Passage is a 46.5 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Bonneau, South Carolina that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

Only went a short distance (7 miles) on the trail. Started off of where is crossed US17 in Monck's Corner, 4 miles from US52. Trail was well marked. Lots of spiders and mosquitoes/gnats everywhere. Bring some deet! There is a nice section through a swampy area which is raised above the surrounded wetland, but most of the trail is flat and somewhat bland. No animals in sight. Tree cover is constant and a great source of shade.

Through hiked all 47 miles. Averaging 3 miles a hour. Trail is as flat as flat can be so you can make up ground quickly. Was very very hot around 2-5 pm. Took two days and was terrible the bugs (ticks and mosquitoes) were everywhere. Deer ticks and lone star ticks, so please wear pants! I am talking about going through swarms of mosquitoes. If you are going to do any section of this trail bring DEET 100. I even brought the DEET 30% wipes as well. I was happy to just make it out alive. Thankfully I met some great people along the trail to give me WATER. There was little to no water through the whole trail and what was there was stagnant swamp water. Even with a filter and treating it, it's still very suspect and yellow. The map that you can download from the conservation site is inaccurate and even the ranger station does not have water since it is closed down! So beware! I started with 3 liters and that was enough for one day. Did 30 miles the first day and 17 the next. Campsites are not great and as primitive as it gets only housing a couple of tents max. There are multiple detours around the trail and thus causing you to walk on roads. I give it one star since I did see some wildlife but that's about it. Some sections are completely burned and those actually were the best parts since nothing is there including mosquitoes. Hope this helps someone else before they try this

Just completed the west section ending at mile marker 22. It's a nice hike with lots of water so the foot bridges are greatly appreciated. Part of the trail is closed right now. There is a detour and it is well marked. I recommend you check out the palmetto trail website for updates on the trail condition before heading out.

Nice flat trail, went during November after no rain for over 3 weeks so water was hard to come by. the swamp was DRY! Spent 3 days completing the passage. Even though we went in November the mosquitoes were INSANE. Would never do this during the summer, we couldn't stop with out getting attacked as is. Cane Gully dam is the broken looking picture, but it was possible.

I still remember this trail very well. There were times that I thought we were walking too close to the snake habitat.

I did this summer before last. It was a nice trip. There were wolves howling at night but we were not able to see any.

Monday, December 14, 2015

Great hike

Saturday, March 02, 2013

Best section of the Palmetto Trail hands down! I went when I was younger and did the whole thing in 2 days. It is very flat and has great scenery. I would definitely recommend this for a multi-day camping trip with family or a group of friends. I'm not a biker but you could easily do this whole section in 2 days. It does cut across the highways in a few sections, so be aware of traffic. Other than that, this is my favorite "long" trail hands down.

Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Great trip for how close it is, went during the winter. Not the best time to go but it was all in all a fun trip away from civilization. Only beef i had with it, was it was heavily saturated with horse trails as well as pavement. I advise not to go during warmer months because of misquitos. They release wolves in the area, so occassionally you can hear a wolf howling in the back ground during night. Tons of other cool wildlife. Worth a trip if your in the area and have a few days. Very easy hike, flat but swampy. interesting from my usual mountain treks. A bunch of day hikers as well which i did not like.