Spiderwoman 2 Loop

Spiderwoman 2 Loop is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Columbia, South Carolina that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A spur trail off of Midlands Mountain Trail, this trail incorporates views of the Broad River, moderate elevation changes, and a natural rock garden.

For Columbia area, about as good as it gets. I hiked Firebridge to Midlands Mountain to Spiderwoman 2 and back out. I think it was about 9 miles total. The Spiderwoman 2 Trail has the best terrain, water views, and best wildlife of those hiked. Saw herons on the river, a family of four frogs lined up on a log, and ate some wild grapes (muscadines). Bring your trekking poles to swat spider webs as you walk.

fantastic terrain. went in the spring and everything was incredibly #green and alive. We had to walk from the front gate to get there because the gate was closed during open hours for some reason but I made for a great 8 mile hike. will be back!!!

Hiked this along with the firebreak, stewardship, midlands MTN trails this morning. That added a decent level of difficulty to the loop. This trail felt more like it believed in NE South Carolina rather than the heart of the midlands.

Love the many changes in elevation, and it was a great workout!

Not a bad outing. May have been better if my wife and I biked the trail. We didn’t bring our helmets and were told it was required for the rocky trail (and it sure is rocky!) The Park Ranger was kind and helpful at the office building and explained the app on your phone you could use for a map. We just used our all trails app but they don’t do paper maps. It’s good to have the map bc there are a lot of side trails that can get you confused (including the Spider Woman extended trail that loops in the middle for less than a mile).

The river was pretty but not as visible because of a lot of vegetation but you can definitely see the Broad River about half way through it. There are a lot of rocky up and down hills but not too bad. My wife and I GPS logged about 4.45 miles total when we accidentally went down the middle loop (which ends back onto the original path later on).

Enjoying the scenery and a few water stops it took us just under 2 hours. Saw a lot of white tail deer, lizards, and squirrels.

Next time I’ll bike it!

One of the best local trails I’ve come across. Be sure to explore the “treacherous” bluffs and learn to conquer the rock garden both downhill and and on the ascent!!

Fun trail with lots of elevation changes and pretty views. We went in January so all the leaves made some of the up and downs a bit slippery, so wear shoes with good traction. The trail connects back to the Midland trail in two different spots so pay attention to your direction or your 3 mile hike will become 7 miles if you go the wrong way getting back on the midlands...go right to exit...go left to hike more.

Awesome trail not at all a flat stroll. Being able to get in the river was the best part!

challenging trail to run.

love the terrain for a great workout in about an hour!

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Great, and surprisingly so for being in the middle of Columbia. everything was pretty well marked and there are some really cool sights along the way. I feel that this was more moderate than hard, though.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

This is real outdoors right in the city! I have done this hike with my 12, 8, 4, and infant. It isn't too hard, but is challenging enough to entertain the kids. There is also a little spot on the river to stop midpoint.

Friday, May 19, 2017

Hiked May 2017. You have to take a small side trail (well trafficked obviously by the smooth dirt and lack of vegetation growing on the path!) to get to the river access. Side trail branches off an intersection where the trail is marked with a laminated sign tacked to a tree. Loved this trail. River access was beautiful and serene. Besides the river access it is a cool trail going through the forest, some ups and downs but nothing too strenuous. Spider Woman II is actually only a 2.2 miles loop but you have to take the Midlands Mountain Trail from the parking lot to get access to the Spider Woman II trail so that is what brings the hike total to 3 miles. Would definitely recommend!

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

needs better signs!

Sunday, April 16, 2017

We tried to do this one in April on a Friday and the gates back to it were closed, said they are only open to the back Saturdays and Sundays so make sure you check. You can get back there but it is about a 1.5 road walk to the beginning of the trail head. We did a different one instead but will go back to do this one. We liked the area.

Friday, December 16, 2016

It's great every time.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Saw plenty of deer and only 2 mountain bikers!

Monday, November 21, 2016

My wife and I love hiking in the Mountains but live here in Columbia. This trail is our favorite trainer. Whether we are hiking with weight or trail running, we always get a good challenge out of this one. It has a number of elevation drops and gains, and while none of them are prolonged the trail does build good up and downhill muscles. It's pretty, and away from all sounds of town except the occasional clatter from downriver. A good way to tack on extra (easier) mileage is to combine it with the Midlands Mountain trail.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

this was a challenging hike. we missed the turn to remain on the trail after the river so we went a little ways in the wrong direction but saw several interesting things because of it.

next time we will bring river shoes so we can enjoy the river more.

Friday, March 04, 2016

My favorite trail in HSF to hike or bike! Love the undulating nature of the trail; the hardwood forest and creek; the trailside views of the Broad River; and the boulders and rock garden.

Monday, January 25, 2016

I would say the trail is very appropriately ranked as hard but the only thing that I found confusing since the original train had to be cut off and rerouted that there are not good defining markers and the trees that go through the paths that are down are a bit of a struggle especially if you are going to bike the trail. Other than that make sure you wear some water proof boots and have a good amount of water even a light trail snack.

Friday, October 03, 2014

Best in the Harbison State Forest!

This is a moderately challenging trail, with the reward of great views of the Broad River. The trail itself is well maintained and high traveled, but don't expect to rely on trail markings.

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Nice trail to hike. It was part of a trail race with numerous nice runners today. Good views of the Broad River and plenty of tree roots to keep watch for. Putty root and Ginger root abundant. There was also a tree blocking the trail. Looked like most folks ducked under it a few steps away from the path.