Sassafras Mountain Trail to Table Rock Viewpoint

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(31)
Table Rock State Park

Sassafras Mountain Trail to Table Rock Viewpoint is a 28.0 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Sunset, South Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 28.0 km Elevation Gain: 1,434 m Route Type: Out & Back

cave

bridge out
closed

Trail was nice. There was a bridge out but you can walk around it. A fair amount water sources and some good up and down points. We did about 16 miles on diff small trails branching off the main ones. Started at Sassafras Trail Head (Was closed so had to hike 3 miles up the road from a parking area) then to Table Rock Lookout then down to Table Rock State Park. Overall, a good and challenging time.

Great trail but no running water until I guess the very end: beautiful, well marked trail though.

Did the Table Rock to Sassafras and back hike. About 20 miles total. Great views from Bald Knob and Sassafras. Got caught in an afternoon thunderstorm on the last 4 miles. Overall took about 8 hours and was 5,800 calories according to my hr monitor. Good training hike.

Wed Jul 25 2018

A fun hike! This was a prelude to my hiking the Foothills Trail four times.

Wed Jul 18 2018

First real hike in SC. We're from Colorado so we have plenty of trail time. Nice li'l hike. The gate to the summit was closed so we respected it, but I wish we hadn't. We'll go back just to say we did it. The trail was more steep than I expected. It broke my niece's will to walk. Not as challenging as the high-country in the Rockies but the humidity did add a layer of difficulty. I look forward to many more of these day hikes.

Mon Mar 13 2017

I parked at Table Rock state park, hiked up the Pennacle trail 4 miles, then hopped on the foothills trail over to Sassafras Mountain. Ate a peanut butter sammich then back tracked the foothills trail to Pennacle trail, left up Pennacle then did the Ridge Trail over to the Table Rock Summit. Then back down Table Rock Trail to the parking lot. Roughly 23 miles in 9 hours. Besides my knees bothering me comming down Table Rock it was a great day.

Sat Dec 31 2016

Beautiful view. A little challenging getting up to the trail parking area, but then again I drive a Jetta :D Overall, beautiful view, fresh air, and great trails! Definitely need some stamina to get up some of the inclines, but so worth it!

Mon Mar 28 2016

Great day hike. This one is more about stamina than scenery although there's several great lookout points from rocks. Save yourself the steps and avoid the spur to the top of Pinnacle. Much better views other places and you'll likely need that energy and time. Lots of water and creeks to enjoy just watch for the slithering critters enjoying them too.

Thu Mar 10 2016

We actually hiked up to the summit from one of the foothills trail heads located at a bridge on route 178. We parked at the foothills trail parking lot on horse pasture rd. From the bottom at the river it is about 2.5 miles to chinneytop gap, there you will cross the main road to the peak and continue about 2.2 miles until you cross the main road to the top once more. From there we actually just followed the road to the top but we did see a sign that said the trail would be 3 more miles to the peak. I would say the road route was just under a mile to the peak. Excellent views from the top but the peak itself could use a little cleanup. Took us a while to actually find the the sign with the elevation. It is located near the high pointers bench near the middle of the peak on a small rock on the ground.

Mon Feb 15 2016

Well marked, plenty of water. Great winter views. Nice camping spots along the way. If you take trail to Pinnacle and on over to top of Table Rock, expect tough up and downs!

Mon Feb 15 2016

I did the hike with my brothers and nephew Feb 14, 2016. Started out at 26 degrees but sunny. The trail is great in that there aren't too many rocks. Water sources are well marked if they are needed. Our decision came at the Table Rock summit trail as to go or not. We chose to and paid for that up and down plus the 2 miles down to TR Nature Center. The many stone steps down took their toll but we survived. I would recommend this hike for the views but be ready for some serious declines.

Thu Nov 19 2015

Very difficult backpacking uphill. Made camp at the old house area, but it was certainly a difficult hike in one day. The view from the top was awesome at sunset!

Sat Jul 18 2015

Easy walk to top, the views would be fantastic on a clear day.One can make this as long a hike astounding like because it is on the Foothills Trail.

Wed May 13 2015

The foothills trail that leads to Caesar's Head has had the brush cleared off so it is much easier hiking now. The first two miles are very strenuous and then it flattens out to a moderate hike and eventually becomes a logging road. It's not that scenic, but it's a good work out.

Fri Nov 22 2013

Sassafras mountain has part of foothills trail on it that leads to Cesar's Head. I walked about 2 miles on that trail. It very steep at first, then very brushy, then becomes a nice strolling path. Unfortunately, I got lost for about 3 hours after sundown on the trail. As I returned to the brushy area, I got lost and could no longer find the markings on the trees. I walked over a couple hills, thinking I was going in the right direction, but no I wasn't. Then I decided to walk toward a signal tower. I went over a couple more rugged hills and still was no closer to the signal light because I would lose sight of it in the valley and I had to walk in places that were easy to pass through. Eventually, I spotted some man made steps and discovered the trail again. I was really worried I was not going to make it out alive. There is hardly anyone up there and there is no cell phone service. There are no rangers and there is not a station to leave a note about being on a trail. It got down to 27 degrees that night. My leg got all scabbed up walking into branches. I've had the experience of being swallow up by the ocean before and this time I felt like I was being swallowed up by the mountains, which all look the same at night. I may take a machete to clear away the brush on that trail next time. It was not for that, I would have made it back on time. I'm leaning that mountain hiking can be dangerous. You have to estimate how long it will take to get back before sunset correctly on an unfamiliar trail.

Thu May 09 2019