Learn more

Rim of the Gap - Pinnacle Pass Loop

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(83)
Caesars Head State Park

Rim of the Gap - Pinnacle Pass Loop is a 10 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Slater-Marietta, South Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, bird watching, and fishing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 10.0 miles Elevation Gain: 2,237 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail starts out on the Jones Gap trail and quickly exits onto the Rim of the Gap Trail. There is good trout fishing and campsites along the river if your interested in several good day hikes. Head West on the rim trail, this is almost all uphill until you reach the 6/22 connector trail. Go left towards Pinnacle Pass trail. Take another left onto Pinnacle Pass. This is generally a ridge walk to a magnificent rock outcrop that provides a great rest spot before the steep descent to the trailhead. Along the way you will see numerous picturesque streams and falls along with massive boulder and rock formations. The fauna here is extremely diverse at time resembling a tropical rainforest. This is a great day hike. Someone in average physical condition should have a great time.

The mileage on AllTrails is off. Instead of 8.3 miles, the loop is is more like 10. And the last mile and a half on Rim of the Gap was very difficult terrain and very technical.

There are 13,000 acres in Jones Gap State park and they are allowing 25 cars in the parking lot. Even with an annual pass, which is supposed to get you in free, you pay $5. You have to pre-reserve one of these 25 spots and they’re booked out a few weeks. There are 50x more people in a four acre indoor Target than this 13,000 acre park. This is the epitome of STUPIDITY. If you can’t tell, I’m pissed.

The Rim the Gap part of this loop was very dangerous. I was hiking solo going counter clockwise. It had rained the day before and with the leaves covering loose rocks, slick roots, deep mud, etc. it made for a long 5 miles after already doing 6 miles. The trail doesn’t follow exactly as indicated on AllTrails. You need hiking poles and good boots for this hike. The park ranger actually said they are considering closing it this time of year because the river crossings were so dangerous with slick rocks and very severe drop-offs. The trail has such severe drop-offs in areas where the trail is very narrow with very slick roots. I won’t be doing this trail again. The risk wasn’t worth the reward! I’ve hiked Angels Landing multiple times in Utah and was more afraid on this hike because of the dangers.

this is a tricky one. we've done this trail twice, with no real destination (we're mostly there for the adventure !) we've walked maybe 6 miles up the trail to the top of mountain and turned back. they're very slick places due to water and mud. WATCH YOUR FOOTING. find a big stick or bring a pole you will need it to make sure you don't take too bad of a fall. this trail is very washed out, over grown, and rocky. we have lost the trail twice. one was a game trail we followed, but the trail itself is very much like that. it's narrow and it's vague. it's easy to follow a non existent trail and question if you're even on the right trail because the blazes are so far apart and everything is SO over grown and washed away. it's a blast though. really makes you feel like you're going off the beaten path. lots of latter's.makes for a good adventure. i wouldn't take my dogs on this trail!

Sat Jun 15 2019

Sun May 12 2019

I did this trail today with my dog in the pouring rain. The description of the trail is pretty accurate as there are many ups and downs, but I would NOT recommend it for beginners or for anyone who can’t scramble. The trail is very rocky so you have to carefully watch your footing. There is a wooden ladder in the early part of the trail that helps hikers to get up and onto a very large boulder. Be aware that you will have to help your dog climb this unless they are small enough for you to carry. Mine is 60 lbs so she 1/2 climbed the ladder and I heaved her up by her harness. The trail is quite overgrown with low hanging branches so watch your head as you go. There are some beautiful vistas and as one reviewer mentioned the flora in the area is very diverse and lush. Overall The trail is marked well with blazes, however there is an area around a rocky stream where it’s easy to lose the blaze. If you look down onto the large flat rock that should head you in the right direction when you see the blaze there. Some downed trees blocked the trail so be aware that it’s easy to get lost. A real technical accomplishment. Took me 5 hours.

Sun Feb 17 2019

Hiked clockwise, and added rainbow falls for a total of 11.6 miles. You'll need WATERPROOF boots, not just water RESISTANT. Multiple waterfall and stream crossings, you WILL step in water or mud, or both. That being said, there are waterfalls EVERYWHERE. On this trail. very strenuously and physically taxing. Rim part of the trail is very narrow, lots of dodging plants, ducking under things, climbing on rocks and ladders, and crossing waterfalls and rivers/streams. Not a hike with tons of views, mostly just large rock formations, water features. Up and personal encounters with waterfalls was well worth the demanding hike. NOTE! If it has rained recently, you'll REALLY need waterproof shoes AND hiking stick(s). I slipped in some mud and cut up my arm, sliding down hill a little bit. Watch your footing and always test your footing when stepping on deep mud or loose leaves.

Sat Dec 08 2018

Hiked this counter clockwise with the trail to rainbow falls. Couple places where you could get off trail. Very technical coming back. Several roots, rocks and latters that made for slow miles. Very adventurous.

Fri Nov 23 2018

Solid hike. Wear good boots with good ankle support in the fall and when it’s damp, because there are numerous roots, holes, and rocks hidden under the leaves. Some parts of the trail can be technical, I wouldn’t advise bringing a dog.

Mon Nov 19 2018

Our gps said 10.4 . Technically very difficult. Would not go again after any recent rain. The approx 8 waterfall crossings where very dangerous with the steep drop offs and rushing deep water, made my us nervous. Beautiful hike that is fairly well demarcated and we saw no one else on the trail.

Thu Oct 25 2018

This is a very difficult trail- lots of water crossing and elevation change. You definitely need a day’s worth of food and water. I’m very grateful we had poles and good boots. If you are well prepared and in somewhat decent shape, this is a phenomenal trail. I would definitely do it again.

Sat Aug 11 2018

This hike was more like walking up a drainage ditch. it was wet, muddy, and slick. The fact that it did not look like a trail wouldn't have been an issue if the trail was clearly marked, but it was not. very easy to get lost.There are ladders and slick flat rocks to walk over. I won't be doing this hike again.

Wed Jul 04 2018

Fun hike. The "rim of the gap" portion is difficult, the rest is fairly moderate. Someone needs to do some chopping on the ROTG portion though. It's more of a suggestion than a trail.

Mon Jun 18 2018

this trail is amazing definitely not for beginners I started on the Jones gap trail and then took number 6 (rim of the gap) to 15 to 7 to 3 back to 5 the whole thing took me 7 hours but I stopped to eat a couple times. I was way beyond impressed with the difficulty and absolute beauty of the rim of the gap! I only lost the trail one time and had to back track but the were a few times that I wondered if I was still going the right way which I think was the best part of this whole adventure! the trail is marked well it's just not a typical wide well beaten path like more moderate trails are. there were lots of water crossings which was fun but in the winter water proof boots would probably be a good idea! I can't put into words what a fantastic home this was!

Sat Jun 16 2018

had a great day on the this trail! definitely recommend bringing boots lot of water Crossings. I did the trail backwards see the blue then purple to the Rim trail yellow. I got lost on the trail a few times dude to following my dog and not watching the trail Blazers but easily turn around and found my way back. this Trail is very technical and not great for beginners but it is a fun difficult hike. I took a ton of pictures so look forward to seeing my dog and the trail. have a great hike, this was Justin

Wed May 30 2018

Very technical trail. Loved it. not for beginners

Sat May 19 2018

A beautiful but challenging hike. We took RoG to Frank Coggins to Coldspring to Jones Gap loop. The RoG section is definitely not for beginners. Be prepared for some scrambling and lots of water crossing-not so deep, but lots of it. We went after heavy rains so that may have added to the volumn of water on the trails. A couple of precarious crossings that I could see a really bad end to if you took a spill! Keep a close eye on the blazes. We missed one at about the five mile mark and had to back track. The planned route showed only being about 8.5 miles, but when we finished, my app said 10.8! The park rangers swore their maps are accurate and Alltrails was not, but I don't understand how GPS (as well as my screaming leg muscles) could be wrong!

Fri May 04 2018

Wonderful. Very strenuous from Jones Gap but a wonderful adventure. Dogs-not recommended unless they're well trained or cartable. Wear shoes/boots with good soles and always make sure you can see a yellow marker every 20 ft or so because it is easy to lose your way if not careful. Overall-an amazing hike. We took Jones Gap up, Coldspring Branch to Coldspring Connector, Frank Coggins to Rim of the Gap and back down. 13 Miles total and an awesome day:)