Raven Rock Loop Trail is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sunset, South Carolina that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 836 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

A natural bridge with rocky outcrops, a lakeshore campsite, beautiful stream crossing. This is a great quick getaway hike. The trail starts out easily and crosses the Poe creek over a natural granite bridge. The next section is uphill through a boulder field topping out and dropping into a steep valley. You climb out to the top of the ridge and generally ridge walk until the decent to Lake Keowee. There is an excellent campsite on the peninsula but you need to reserve it ahead of time at the ranger station. The way back is a lot of uphill and steep downhill coupled with a nice river crossing. The last leg is uphill and ends at the old church and the parking lot.

Moderate difficulty with spectacular views of the lake. Go to campsite 3 to see lake level views and continue counterclockwise on trail to get some views from the cliffs. Easy to do in 2 hours plus whatever time you want to spend resting and taking in the views.

My fiancé and I went with our 2 year old dog and had a blast! If you’re going while they’re enforcing social distancing guidelines, get there right when the park opens at 9 on weekends. We tried to go last weekend around 10:30 AM and the park was at full capacity. It took us almost 2.5 hours to do the whole hike with minimal breaks. We stopped on the way back at a small waterfall/pool to cool off and it was a beautiful surprise! The final .75 mile was pretty uphill but with enough water and breaks, people moderately in shape will be fine!

Loved this trail. So many beautiful spots to stop and enjoy the water. Definitely a challenge with some uphill sections. But who doesn’t want a little sweat sesh. We took our pup and he loved swimming along the way

Loved this trail. All of the flowers were in bloom. Took 2 hours, had nice creeks and a wonderful lake view. Offered benches throughout the trail for snacking or resting. It’s moderate if you’re moderately in shape.

Very very Tough trail!!!! I’m 23 and in pretty okay shape but it was hard

Nice trail. Great lake views, interesting boulders and a few Creek crossings. Lots of up and down but nothing too strenuous. It was definitely a good workout for me, 57 and in fair shape, but very enjoyable. The trail is well marked and easy to follow. Went with my son and 2 dogs and we all loved it!

If you do both trails, my GPS says it's 4.56 miles, which seems reasonable to me given that I stopped several times to photograph some gorgeous spring flowers and still completed the loops in just under 2 hours without pushing. The trail starts close to Hwy 11 so you can hear some traffic noise, but after you get on the connector trail the hike gets very interesting with huge rock outcrops and wonderful foliage. The Rangers told me the trail has been rerouted and doesn't pass by the actual Raven Rock anymore, but the outcrops are still awesome. This is a wonderful, well maintained trail. Mountain Laurel is very plentiful and blooms in May, Rhododendron blooms in July.

They’re open now. Once they hit capacity, they let one car in and one car out. They do a good job keeping folks apart - signs keeping people moving in the one direction on the loops. Great hike for the whole family. Gorgeous view of the lake.

This is one of my favorites! This trail is well marked & moderate if you’re in decent shape. There are gorgeous views of the lake & lots of large rocks & streams to enjoy. We’ll definitely return when the rhododendrons bloom.

if you want a great workout, this is the trail. Even though there's only 800-900 feet in elevation change, you do it several times. Well groomed trail and very well marked.

My favorite hangout! This is a family favorite in our "fur" home. The trail is easy enough for active or semi active dogs but you can still break a sweat with the BEST lookout! I taught my 6 month old puppy how to swim here for the first time back in August. The view of the lake makes it hard to leave!!

A great 4.5 mile trail! We completed it in 2 hours with a dog and a toddler on the back. Lots of uphill towards the end, that’s probably the only part I would consider “moderate”. Pretty easy hike overall and fun for all ages!

We made it back out on a not so snowy day! Great hike! We’d rate it moderate, I had our 16 month old on my back (roughly 35 lbs), and we had our dog with us as well. The trail was fairly wet, but then again we’ve had an absurd amount of rain recently. There was a few downed trees but nothing we couldn’t get over or around. Beautiful views! A couple different loops that could lengthen or shorten as needed.

We had a lot of fun doing this! Unfortunately we didn’t get to complete it. Since it was pretty snowy yesterday we had to head back after a quarter of the way in. Can’t wait to head back there soon!

My wife and I did part of this hike while it was snowing with our 16 month old (on my back) and our pup. We only got about 1.2 miles in where you fork at Ravens Rock Loop before our son was pretty chilly and we turned around. The saturated ground from all the rain combined with the fresh snow that was piling up made a fairly easy hike/nature walk a little more interesting. We look forward to going back and completing the whole hike.

Overall good hike, a little muddy on the North side of Natural Bridge but other than that great hike!

Loved this set of looped trails! Muddy in spots, but views and cool streams are well worth it.

Great trail. My dog and I went out on Christmas Day and did this trail. It’s strenuous enough to get your heart rate up, but not too difficult. I stayed to the right at the forks, so there wasn’t much to see until I got around the midpoint, but the lake was a gorgeous sight. I definitely recommend and will go back.

What a beautiful trail! Gorgeous views all along the entire trail, especially looking down over the lake. Switch backs were a little steep at times but nothing overwhelming. The only reason it didn't get 5 stars is because it is listed here as being a 4.3 mile loop, which it is, but it's misleading because you have about a mile to hike from the parking lot to the beginning of this trail. It was fine but should include that in the total mileage of the trail so people know what they're signing up for.

One of my favorite trails. The view of the lake is beautiful. Definitely a great view hike. I saw a ton of different mushrooms along the way all varying in color and size.

Iniciamos a las 4pm, nos topamos mas gente que en otros senderos de la zona, quizá porque era domingo... subimos hasta el pico con algo de dificultad, (llevaba a mi sobrina -bebe- en la espalda) esperando lograr algunas vistas del lago, lo que no ocurrió...logramos fotos hermosas, disfrutamos mucho...ya con la puesta del sol encima y el descenso de la temperatura decidimos devolvernos...fue duro para mis piernas la última etapa apresurada ya casi sin luz del día y a la hora del cierre...nos encantaría regresar para completarlo...ya eso no fue nada divertido

Nice trail with some good views. Took less than 2 hours to complete with my pup.