Raven Cliff Falls and Dismal Trail Loop

Raven Cliff Falls and Dismal Trail Loop is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cleveland, South Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

cave

Combining the Raven Cliff Falls trail, the Gum Gap trail, the Naturaland Trust trail, and the Dismal trail for a great adventure! This is a great workout with a tremendous payoff. Hike trail #11(FHT/Raven Cliff Falls,easy) to trail #13 (Gum Gap,easy). Follow Gum Gap to trail #14 (Natureland Trust, strenuous) over the suspension bridge and down the the side towards Matthews Creek at the bottom. Along the way there is a great break spot on a ledge and the Cathedral formation. This section is very steep going down. Cross Matthews Creek on the cables and start the vicious switchbacks on Trail #12 (the Dismal Trail) back to trail #11 and eventually the parking lot. This hike is outstanding. Be prepared, either direction this is a hard hike with a well earned payoff.

I would highly recommend this trail as long as you are not under any time restraints. It was both challenging and rewarding. Since this trail is not clearly marked in all areas and has a few alternative routes, I did get turned around a few times and added to the length of time. I was, however, able to complete this trail in under 4 hours without stopping to take in scenery or a lunch break. I traveled the trail clockwise, leaving Naturaland trail for last, and it was extremely exhausting although I am not sure counter-clockwise would help alleviate this. It's a 2,000 ft incline either direction you choose. The one thing to consider is the steepness of the Naturaland trail- very rugged terrain which is much harder to travel down than up- whereas the Dismal trail while also steep, has a much clearer path to travel down.

Enjoyed the challenging hike.

Did this about a year ago. Very challenging but worth it.

It's not as hard as the pinnacle trail loop.

Very secluded trail, dismal was not as intense as the warning sign leads you to believe, so go do it!

there's the moderate long-ish trail and the hard one. my family and I did the moderate one and it was great.

I am happy to say it was more difficult than I was expecting! Beautiful trail, we hiked down thru a rain cloud. We started around 2pm and had the trail to ourselves on the way back.

Great trail, had some great technical sections.

We hiked this trail yesterday and the Natrualand Trail was a little more difficult due to many trees that have fallen. There were many moments we had to hoist ourselves up by pulling up on roots from trees and it was easy to lose trail markers if you were not paying attention well. Dismal and Gum Gap trails were good. Just be careful! Also, the first time I did this trail I took my 65 lb dog and this trail is NOT dog or small children friendly. Very dangerous but fun!