Raven Cliff Falls and Dismal Trail Loop

Raven Cliff Falls and Dismal Trail Loop is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cleveland, South Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

cave

Combining the Raven Cliff Falls trail, the Gum Gap trail, the Naturaland Trust trail, and the Dismal trail for a great adventure! This is a great workout with a tremendous payoff. Hike trail #11(FHT/Raven Cliff Falls,easy) to trail #13 (Gum Gap,easy). Follow Gum Gap to trail #14 (Natureland Trust, strenuous) over the suspension bridge and down the the side towards Matthews Creek at the bottom. Along the way there is a great break spot on a ledge and the Cathedral formation. This section is very steep going down. Cross Matthews Creek on the cables and start the vicious switchbacks on Trail #12 (the Dismal Trail) back to trail #11 and eventually the parking lot. This hike is outstanding. Be prepared, either direction this is a hard hike with a well earned payoff.

Nice day hike. I think Dismal Trail is steeper than Gum Gap. I went left or south down Dismal Trail and it was a very steep and quick descent. Going up Gum Gap seemed to be a slower, more gradual ascent. The waterfall is really amazing. Beautiful view on a suspension bridge. There's another small waterfall above with a nice place to relax. Plan for at least four hours.

Much harder than I thought it would be. Definitely worth the sights, though! ***bring lots of water***

If you are going to do this trail, take a left at Dismal Trail instead of taking a right on Gum Gap. Get the hard part out of the way first. Very steep decline on Dismal followed by a steep incline on Natureland until you get to the suspension bridge. Gum Gap has minimal elevation change in comparison. Pros of the trail are it is well marked and not overgrown. Cons are not much too look at other than the overlook of Raven Cliff falls and once you get to the suspension bridge over it. Don't know if I would do it again, but it was a good workout.

This was great trail - good challenge. Became even more challenging in the pouring rain. Read several posts- seemed that 7.4 mile at 4 hours was typical.
Well - some how ours became an 8.4 mile hike and took 5 hours. We did not make it back before the rain rolled in and soaked us. I couldn't believe we weren't back yet as the rain kept pouring and we kept hiking. The climb up in rushing water on dismal trail was a struggle for me - I've been out of hiking for a while but didn't seem to bother husband.
We took raven cliff (trial to right) to natureland to dismal back to raven cliff - both devices clocked 8.4 miles. Signs and trails extremely well marked. Great view of falls and rock face. Will do it again.

Lovely hike and not too difficult of a trail for the most part but the 1,000 foot climb after the creek was very strenuous and steep.

Do this hike if you're in the area! We're traveling around the country and have been hiking in multiple states. This hike is definitely in our top 10 (for the eastern side of the states). Haven't made our way west yet :) I would also recommend Jones Gap State Park Rainbow Falls trail if you want to do something shorter! @lifeultralight

My at the time boyfriend and I love hiking and he asks me to pick a trail we haven't done before, and one that had a waterfall. We get to the falls and he asks me to marry him! so this place will always be my favorite! Absolutely gorgeous!

great hike!!! raven cliff trail to gum gap was a nice walk, pretty easy, but when you get to natureland trail it gets way more difficult and way more enjoyable! i can honestly say this was one of the most fun hikes i have ever completed. the waterfall viewpoint was absolutely beautiful and there's even a nice rock to climb on top of to get a great view. there's also a great suspension bridge shortly after that has a nice view of a drop off over the waterfall. i would highly recommend going the opposite direction, taking raven cliff trail to dismal then taking a right on natureland, then right on gum gap, back to raven cliff trail to the beginning. that way you're taking a long slow decline on dismal (instead of a long slow incline for 1.5 miles) and then going uphill on all the fun parts of natureland, which had a few ladders, climbing over rocks, and walking along fairly narrow ledges. next time i'd like to hike all of the natureland trail instead of switching over to dismal. definitely worth the hike!! took about 4 hours total.

definitely a tough Trail have hiked it 3 times going on my 4th time tomorrow lots of cool spots to do a little trout fishing in the little water holes some parts can be dangerous trying to look over the cliffs well worth it awesome Trail it'll take you about 4 hours if you stop take some breaks maybe warm some food up