Raven Cliff Falls and Dismal Trail Loop

Raven Cliff Falls and Dismal Trail Loop is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cleveland, South Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

cave

Combining the Raven Cliff Falls trail, the Gum Gap trail, the Naturaland Trust trail, and the Dismal trail for a great adventure! This is a great workout with a tremendous payoff. Hike trail #11(FHT/Raven Cliff Falls,easy) to trail #13 (Gum Gap,easy). Follow Gum Gap to trail #14 (Natureland Trust, strenuous) over the suspension bridge and down the the side towards Matthews Creek at the bottom. Along the way there is a great break spot on a ledge and the Cathedral formation. This section is very steep going down. Cross Matthews Creek on the cables and start the vicious switchbacks on Trail #12 (the Dismal Trail) back to trail #11 and eventually the parking lot. This hike is outstanding. Be prepared, either direction this is a hard hike with a well earned payoff.

My best friend, Tony and I, hiked this trail yesterday. The temperature was perfect for early December and the views were extremely amazing. We did get off trail three times. The trail markers are hard to follow at times and we felt like we were climbing over more debris than we were walking on trail but it was absolutely worth every tiring moment. We started at 9:30am and completed the trail at 3:40pm. We did 9.4 miles (some of which was lost trail mileage). I would highly recommend this hike for the more professional/experienced hikers.

My wife and I hiked this trail today and just loved it. In the fall, with most of the leaves off the trees, you can see the various streams and falls from a distance. We did the loop counterclockwise, heading down the Dismal Trail then back up the Naturaland Trust Trail. We really liked the primitive quality of the Dismal and Naturaland trails. Got off the trail twice coming up the Naturaland trail because we were not paying close enough attention. There are many small waterfalls to see, two cool bridges (one made of fallen trees and the other a suspension bridge), and a section of trail at the base of a very tall rock cliff. The ascent back up Naturaland was no joke, so be prepared for some steep uphill trail segments.. the only downside was that Gum Gap and Raven Cliff Falls Trails seemed relatively boring by comparison on the final leg of the hike. We will be back with friends!

I would highly recommend this trail as long as you are not under any time restraints. It was both challenging and rewarding. Since this trail is not clearly marked in all areas and has a few alternative routes, I did get turned around a few times and added to the length of time. I was, however, able to complete this trail in under 4 hours without stopping to take in scenery or a lunch break. I traveled the trail clockwise, leaving Naturaland trail for last, and it was extremely exhausting although I am not sure counter-clockwise would help alleviate this. It's a 2,000 ft incline either direction you choose. The one thing to consider is the steepness of the Naturaland trail- very rugged terrain which is much harder to travel down than up- whereas the Dismal trail while also steep, has a much clearer path to travel down.

Enjoyed the challenging hike.

Did this about a year ago. Very challenging but worth it.

It's not as hard as the pinnacle trail loop.

Very secluded trail, dismal was not as intense as the warning sign leads you to believe, so go do it!

there's the moderate long-ish trail and the hard one. my family and I did the moderate one and it was great.