Learn more

Rainbow Falls Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(805)
Jones Gap State Park

Rainbow Falls Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Cleveland, South Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,207 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Parking is limited and is known to be full sometimes during weekends

Great hike, and very popular. The ascent is tough in places. Small dogs may need some assistance. Parking at Jones Gap SP is minimal, so arrive by 11 am on weekdays. They are requiring reservations now on weekends during Covid period. When normality returns, plan on arriving by 10 am on weekends.

Do it! I planned to go on a non weekend and non holiday to avoid some crowds. Such a rewarding experience. The elevation will hurt your legs, especially because it gets to be about 100ft elevation gain per 0.1 miles near the top. I wish someone could have taken a picture of my face when I laid eyes on the falls. I kid you not, took my breath away. Such a beautiful and rewarding hike. I would gladly go again- my favorite waterfall yet!

Fairly strenuous going up but easy coming down. Excellent hike. Will do it again.

One of my favorites. Great waterfall with a moderately easy hike.

fee

How beautiful. This trail is rated moderate, but this trail has rocks, tree stumps, pretty steep in places, can be muddy. But it's worth it. You get to the top of this beautiful waterfall, large boulders to relax on, the spray from the falls to cool you down. Pack a lunch & take a break before heading back down. It can get crowded. If you're searching for a long, rewarding waterfall hike, you've found it in this one. This is an in & out hike. Easy to follow, narrow in places, steep, lots of climbing. You need to reserve a parking spot to hike this fall.

Make sure you reserve a parking space. Sadly we were turned away today.

Our favorite hike in the area! Stunning views. Rainbow Falls is spectacular!! The entire hike is beautiful. Walking beside the stream much of the way, over rustic bridges, stairs between boulders, moss covered rocks , tranquil forest- but go early! We got there when the park opened. Felt like we had the trail to ourselves going in. Traffic picked up on the hike out. Enjoy!!

Be ready to have a stroll through a easy “hike” venture farther past the falls

Beautiful waterfall! One of my top 5 hikes to date. Somewhat strenuous on the way up to the falls. The return trail is all down hill. Enter through Jones Gap State Park. Reservations for a parking spot may be required due to Covid-19. ($5 rental fee, can be reserved online)

Definitely one of my favorite hikes to date. The trail follows the stream for about half the trail, breaks off up the mountain and ends at a gorgeous 100 ft waterfall. I'm a sucker for steams, so I absolutely loved it. Trail is very rocky and wet, which can get pretty slippery in places. Not too strenuous and totally worth it. Plenty of shade on the trail so I wouldn't worry about sunscreen.

Most b-e-a-u-tiful hike I've ever been on, literally every turn on this trail is breathtaking. It's worth taking your shoes off at the top of the hike to cross over the stream to get up close to the waterfall and feel the mist! The boyfriend got down on one knee and proposed, can't ask for a more beautiful day <3

I loved this hike. It wasn't too challenging and I even had the waterfall to myself for 10 mins. Waterfall was gorgeous and made for great photos. I definitely recommend.

fee

6/6/20 Took us about three hours to the top and back with two 15 minute stops, and a short time off trail. The falls were beautiful but we had hoped to be able to get in the water at the end of the trail. There isn’t really a good spot to do that. We did not know that we would have to pay $6 per person to get onto the trail. On Fri-Sun you have to reserve a parking spot ahead of tine online. We happened to get there right after one had opened up so the ranger let us in. Also you need to leave the parking lot on time or they lock the gate. Great hike. Definitely a challenge, with steep steps on some parts.

Beautiful falls!

Rainbow Falls trail work was excellent. Grooved rocks in some key spots to add with tread. Hard but falls worth it! Also went up to Jones Gap Falls. It was pretty too. Nice campsites.

Excellent afternoon hike. A bit strenuous going up. Easy coming down.

Amazing trail. Not easy. Very rocky, very steep. The falls at the end are stunning. 10 stars.

Amazing view. Very worth the effort. It does get steep.

Great trail, will take longer for water breaks . Some steep steps and tight paths, so take your ibuprofen early if you have bad knees like me. Follows water for much of the trail. The waterfall at the end is a great reward for toughing it out, stay for a while to re-charge your batteries for the hike back down.

Love this hike. You may have to carry a small dog over some streams, but a great time and beautiful falls.

TOUGH UPHILL IF NOT READY