Pinnacle Mountain Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pickens, South Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Strenuous hike to summit of Pinnacle Mountain. Small waterfalls. Good overlook. The trailhead is just beyond the Nature Center at the edge of the parking lot. Be sure and fill out the self-service trail registration at the trailhead. The first 0.2 miles is a relatively flat, paved path that parallels a creek. Small cascades and pools are easily accessible from the trail. After the pavement ends, follow the trail signs for the Pinnacle Mtn. trail. The trail is in fair shape most of the way. There is significant erosion in a few places and parts of the trail can be quite muddy. At about the 2.5 mile mark is the Bald Rock Overlook where you can look back towards Table Rock Mtn. The summit is marked by a sign and a pile of rocks but you're in the middle of a forest with no view. Return the way you came or continue on the Ridge Trail that connects the Pinnacle Mountain and Table Rock trails.

This trail is my favorite at home! It's only a mile from where I live so it's special plus childhood memories of the area.

Didn't see anyone else on the Pinnacle Mountain Trail. Trail is well-signed and easy to follow. Nice waterfalls on this trail. Not too much really steep stuff, pretty gradual the whole way. Temps were in high 20s today, but the incline of the trail was just enough to warm up to ideal temperature.

My 15 year old son and I hiked the Pinnacle Trail to the Ridge Trail, and connected back to the Table Rock Trail all the way to the overlook. We did this Saturday, November 2, 2018. The weather was perfect, but everybody and their brother was there making it pretty crowded at the overlook and on the way down (we took the Table Rock Trail back down). We started at 10:30am and arrived back to the parking lot at 4:40pm. We spent about 15 minutes enjoying the overlook. We hiked this same route when my son was 11. We just can’t work up the nerve to take the Table Rock Trail up, because it is very steep ALL THE WAY. We plan to come back many more times, but will probably come on a weekday from now on, due to the crowds. I would advise taking some good snacks and plenty of water. My only complaint is there are no places to pee if you’re a female, but I do believe porta potties here and there would ruin the experience! LOL

Challenging hike. Sometimes All Trails isn't accurate on the level of difficulty, but this was one of the more strenuous ones I've done in SC. At the same time, it's definitely the most beautiful. Lots of waterfalls and wildflowers along the way. The view at Bald Rock was gorgeous. I would suggest starting as early as possible...I started at 7:15am and saw no one on my way up and around 15 people on my way down.

Very challenging hike. Great views at Bald Knob on the way then its almost straight up the side of Pinnacle Mountain to the summit. No real view from the summit but so worth the challenge. Distance should be about 8.5 miles out and back. You will pass a 4 mile marker well before the summit.

Meh. I didn’t have my trekking poles so, I turned around at about 2.5 miles. Before I turned around the trail was very nice though. I will definitely go back and attempt it again.

I hiked this in early March and the views at bald knob were spectacular. I loved the little waterfalls and mountain views along the trail. I can't wait to do it again. Be aware: it is 7.2 miles to bald knob and back, NOT the summit.

Really nice hike up to Pinnacle Mountain. A few rock scrambles and steep near the top. The first two miles runs along Carrick Creek with some really nice waterfalls and stream crossings. We hiked really early and there was hardly anyone on the trail. It can be crowded later in the day. Carry plenty of water!

Excellent hike. Good view from Bald Knob. Dropped my water bottle down a ravine towards the top. Luckily a kind woman gave me a bottle of water down back at the nature center. Very much appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Last mile is tough- Note: this is 8.4 miles out and back. Beautiful view at bald knob at 3.6 miles. Can be subtropical conditions in summer at the lower altitude, need bug spray in summer trail is not as cleared as Table Rock trail.

Nice trail, tons of streams when you start and people bathing in the waterfalls. You go through a waterfall at some point and then reach two balds at the top. No water up there. At the very top, its just a sign, no views. Did this on my run of the loop to table rock.

Hiked this May 13-14 camped overnight on the foothills trail. Saw a family of bears at the 1.5 mile point on Pinnacle, Momma and three cubs. They eventually climbed a tree right above the trail as groups passed below. Very hot low 90s, water was available on trail to be filtered. Hike up was strenuous few trees down that you need to climb through. Great view from Bald Knob both days.

Loved this trail! Did May 10 so some wildflowers were blooming and weather was great. Use bug spray- gnats were out. Not as crowded as Table Rock trail but I liked just as well. Well marked with blazes and occasional signs, and markers every half mile. View maybe not quite as magnanimous but still quite nice at Bald Knob ~2800 ft. Hiking on up to Pinnacle Mt summit ~ 3500ft pretty good workout but no view really. Does connect with TR trail if want to do longer loop. Your quads and glutes will remind you that you did something next day or two!

This hike was great on a hotter day. There is plenty of canopy cover on the trail to help reduce the heat. I saw several waterfalls along the way and was a great workout. The view on the Bald Rock lookout was awesome! If you’re not pressed about having to get to the summit, I would recommend turning around at Bald Rock. Summit is densely tree covered and a stair master. I had to go it at least once though. Not crazy busy either.

It is actually 4.2 miles (for a total of 8.4 miles) to the summit which is at 3425 ft. The last 6/10 of a mile are by far the most strenuous. My calves were screaming. The view from the bald at 3.6 miles is stunning, makes the entire hike worth the effort. The trail is pretty well maintained with some muddy areas and some rocky areas. Lots of different flowers that become more plentiful the higher you climb. All in all, a challenging hike that will get your blood pumping.

Hard!! Very nice view.

Lower trail is in great shape, however the upper portions have many burned trees. Some trees are blocking the path, as well as 2 spots where recently uprooted trees are a bit sketchy to move around. One is at a water crossing, and there is a 5 foot hole right where the trail was prior to the fire. Point being, be careful, especially if you have little guys traveling with you.

Loved the trail the view beautiful at Bald Rock

Fun trails! The view at the top was amazing!!!

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Amazing hike! Snow made it a little slippery but trail was breathtaking! Hard in several places and climbing up to summit part was strenuous. The view from Bald Knob absolutely spectacular! Totally worth every step. Would do again!

Thursday, November 23, 2017

Saturday, November 11, 2017

The real view is the bald rock about 1/3 mile from top. Nice hike to there. Last 1/3 mile is StEEp!! And the pinnacle is surrounded by jungle like foliage so there is no “view”, which after 3+ hours of hike with the last bit a severe incline, was disappointing. But still a nice walk in the woods ...

Sunday, October 29, 2017

We hiked this trail last week up to Bald's Knob. It was 7.75 miles round-trip and took us a bit over 4 hours. We are almost 50 yrs old with 2 knee braces but it wasn't super difficult. It was beautiful being on top of the mountain! The trail was very clear. We ran into other hikers early on coming down a different trail that had seen a bear. Luckily, we didn't see one.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

This hike was amazing. The distance is roughly ten miles. The views at Bald's Knob are the best part of the hike. My boyfriend and I were able to eat lunch in front of the beautiful 180° views of other mountains in the area. The remainder of the hike is extremely steep, but it is so worth it to reach it to the summit. Definitely pack lots of water!

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Love this trail! My friend and I hiked this trail in June. It was my second time and his first. Great day even though it rained 70% of the time. Still alot of wildfire damage from the previous year. My advice is to go prepared to spend time at the overlook.

Thursday, July 20, 2017

A very straight forward hike until the end. Prepare to hike up many 'stairs'. The trail is usually wide and quite clearly marked. Encountered a black bear around mile three. The views from Bald Knob are pretty spectacular. After that the rest of the hike is a rather strenuous constant climb to the summit. Insect repellent is a must for this one.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Good warm up for Table Rock Trail.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Bald Knob was the best stop as you can't see much from the summit. There are some rocks there off the official trail that are amazing to sit on and enjoy the view as long as you are careful! Definitely will be coming back for the view! For someone who is in great physical condition, it was an amazing first hike! Not as hard as I expected.

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Interesting trail with beautiful overlook at Balds Knob. There is no view at the summit because of the trees in the way . Unless you're going for endurance, turn around from balds knob and hear back down. That last half mile is a calve killer.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Hiked up Pinnacle yesterday with a group of friends and then went over to the Table Rock trail back to the trail head. Loved the hike up Pinnacle. Really beautiful and quiet, lots of neat rock formations and views. The portion from Bald Rock to the top of Pinnacle was tough, but the rest of it was fairly easy going considering you're climbing up a mountain. Definitely worth it and made for a fun 8 mile hike. It took us just under 5 hours with a stop for lunch and some rest breaks along the way. (FYI if you're trying to estimate for your own hike, we didn't go to the top of Table Rock. It would have added about 3 miles and we were running short on time.)