Paris Mountain State Park Big Loop Trail

Paris Mountain State Park Big Loop Trail is a 9.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Greenville, South Carolina that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The Paris Mountain State Park is a system of trails that are cover a diverse and rural area of Greenville County. The park is only a 10 minutes drive from most of Greenville city. There are trails for almost every level of hiker and biker. With the exception of the very young or those that are looking for very flat and non-challanging trails. The park includes a lake (Lake Placid) and two reserviors that were at one time part of the Greenville watershed. These bodies of water no longer are used for potable water, but are maintained for recreational use. Several of the trails are multiple use trails, meaning that both hikers and bikers may use them. Please be alert to users of the trails, as there are several sight limited areas and challanging technical areas that would make avoiding trail occupants very difficult. PLEASE NOTE: Park regulations prevent bikers from ANY trail on Saturdays. These trails see heavy foot use on weekends and due to safety, no bikes are permitted on Saturdays. In addition, a couple trails are for foot traffic only. Please see the accompaning map for more details. Structured camping is available in two camp grounds within the park. See the park office for further details. Backcountry camping is also permitted around Reservoir #3 (also known as North Lake). There are 4 designated tent/ camp sites. Backcountry camping requires registration with the park office prior to camping. Camping is restricted to designated areas only. Please pack out waste. Fishing is premitted on North Lake. Fish size and bait restrictions are posted. Several areas of parking are available throughout the park. Some areas include pavillons with grills and restrooms. Some restrooms are ADA accessible. A daily park entrance fee is assessed. Currently as of 12/28/2011 the fee is $2.00 per adult. A self pay box is available at the gate. Rangers will patrol the park and ticket those that have not submitted a use fee.

Very nice hike for meditation.

Completed a full 7.5 mile loop with a group of 5, varying in experience and fitness level. The only “view” was of the lake, no waterfalls or anything of the like. Still a beautiful hike. Overall a good experience, will do it again.

We chose this trail as a conditioning trail and the following review is written from the point of view of a backpacker carrying a 30+ lb pack. Fee is now $5.00 per person and you pay at the toll booth, it was early when we arrived and no one was in the booth but they have envelopes to fill out, bring a pen. Started the trails at shelter 5 and 6. Looked like there was a nature walk for kids going on when we started with a Ranger (think this is pretty cool). We walked past them and started up the Sulpher Springs trail. Very shortly the trail came to the first lake we would encounter for the day. Saw a turtle and a lady fall (wear proper shoes guys, there is a lot of rocks and loose debris on the trail). Continuing up the trail we made our way to the waterfall at the dam and the rock tower. Really nice pictures here, the temperature was nice and cool. There are some rock steps that go up to the trail above you that will put you back on track. Once we scurried up those I was feeling good and doubting that this trail was ranked correctly at hard as nothing we had done so far was difficult but my curiosity was soon sated. The incline began and we started up, over rocks, through two streams (very easy crossings), back over rocks, up some more rock steps, leaned against a few trees, and continued on. When I finally came to the top I held up a tree for a good 15 min before the forest sounds finally drowned out the pounding of my heart. (I want to take a moment to mention this trail is very thin at points. Be careful with your four legged pals and children as you go up this section. There is a decent drop on the right side down into a ravine). After a quick break, afore mentioned, we took Fire Tower trail and made our way down this down and back trail. Once we arrived at the burned down fire tower we stopped, had a snack and a decent break. Saw a lizard that was too quick to get a picture of and not much else. Wandered our way back down the trail and picked up Kanuga. Not much here to see until you get to the lake. I do want to mention there are some back country camp sites around the lake. I didn't really venture into them all but there did appear to be enough room for two tents. There is a grated fire pit and a picnic table in the two we did see. As you wander around the lake take a look at the contrast of the evergreens and deciduous trees behind the lake. You are at a vantage point where you can see the difference in colors and it is awesome. The water was really clear as it hadn't rained in a few days but it didn't appear that big fish were not biting as everyone I spoke to only said they were catching a lot of little ones. As you continue over the dam and walk across the little foot bridge (grates) look left down the spillway. There is a lot of debris here and you can imagine the awesome power of water that moved those huge pieces of wood. Walking on around the lake I stumbled upon a couple of more lizards and spotted a duck box, recently put up it appeared, on the far end of the lake. Didn't seem to be much duck activity but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. Next came Pipsissewa trail then Brissy Ridge. At the trail marker we stopped and had lunch and another breather then chose to do the easier side of Brissy Ridge as energy was beginning to fail a little. Down Brissy Ridge the trail opened up and I did get a couple decent pictures of the vista. These were the only ones I was able to get while on the trails. Down Brissy Ridge we went and were dumped into a parking lot. Saw a nice Subaru WRX (YOHB?) in the parking lot but thought for a minute we had lost the trail. If you feel the same way let me save you a little bit of worry, go diagonally left across the parking lot and you should pick up the Sulpher Springs trail. Wandered down to the next parking lot and kept on going. Down hill we continued, passing a tiny black snake and a bunny. Singing is how we finished the trail off as energy was waning and we needed to keep going. All in all the trail is good, I only gave it a 4 star due to the lack of vista views. I was surprised by the amount of people and would expect this area to be highly trafficked during summer. Take plenty of water. Wear the right shoes. Take snacks. Enjoy the hike.

Very nice! The area around the lake was very pleasant. $5/person, many parking areas, well-marked trails.

A fun moderately up and down, and left and right. Well cared for and friendly people. Close to city of Greenville.

Did this yesterday and it was very satisfying!! Multiple lakes, and you get a taste of about 5 different trails. The lakes were breathtaking.

An amazing hike!! There were sights galore and enough traffic to feel perfectly safe. It was one of our more difficult hikes so far, but if you're up for the challenge, you will certainly reap the benefits.

This was a good hike and I like the idea of being able to stay the night at the Res. Very peaceful and clean. I did get off track one too many times and that irritated me.

This trail was fun. Even though everything is very clearly marked one could get lost wondering all the trails and surprising sights hidden in Paris Mountain. A ton of exposed roots, so watch your footing. I'm going to make sure to come back with my family. Great for dogs as well!

Nice mountain for camping and hiking. So many long trails and open campground areas.

Nice hike overall. Great workout on a warm day. Cool waterfall too.

Great trails, looks like it would be especially fun on a bike!

Thursday, May 04, 2017

Nice hiking, varied terrain, but no view from the top.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Not too strenuous. A good day hike

Thursday, March 09, 2017

This loop follows the perimeter trails of Paris Mt. There are several access points for the trail. Taking the trail as recorded here, tougher sections (which never allow bikes) are downhill, go the other way and there are a couple of hard uphill climbs (Sulphur Springs, Brissy Ridge). Great hike.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Cool

Monday, February 20, 2017

Not very strenuous but good for running

Friday, February 10, 2017

One of my favorite places, I come here often and it's one of my sanctuaries.

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Very good trails, I like to go here to warm up for backpacking trips.

Sunday, January 15, 2017

One of my favorite hikes and so close to home. I never tire of it . I love Paris Mountain !

Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Very challenging and technical trails!

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Beautiful scenic views

Monday, November 28, 2016

Great hike, beautiful vistas, good grades.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Great variety of trails.

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Thursday, October 20, 2016

moderate in places.

Monday, October 17, 2016

We couldn't find any great "lookout" views but around the lake was pretty. By 10 there are many people out hiking, jogging, or walking dogs.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Nice place to hike or run, very peaceful. There is $5 for parking all day long. Also, there is swimming and camping places.

Monday, March 28, 2016