Paris Mountain Big Loop

Paris Mountain Big Loop is a 12.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Greenville, South Carolina that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 12.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,637 feet Route Type: Loop

fee

This loop consists of Mountain Creek, Brissy Ridge, Pipissewa, North Lake, Kanuga, Sulphur Springs Trails. The Paris Mountain State Park is a system of trails that are cover a diverse and rural area of Greenville County. The park is only a 10 minutes drive from most of Greenville city. There are trails for almost every level of hiker and biker. With the exception of the very young or those that are looking for very flat and non-challanging trails. The park includes a lake (Lake Placid) and two reservoirs that were at one time part of the Greenville watershed. These bodies of water no longer are used for potable water, but are maintained for recreational use. Several of the trails are multiple use trails, meaning that both hikers and bikers may use them. Please be alert to users of the trails, as there are several sight limited areas and challenging technical areas that would make avoiding trail occupants very difficult. PLEASE NOTE: Park regulations prevent bikers from ANY trail on Saturdays. These trails see heavy foot use on weekends and due to safety, no bikes are permitted on Saturdays. In addition, a couple trails are for foot traffic only. Please see the accompanying map for more details. Structured camping is available in two camp grounds within the park. See the park office for further details. Backcountry camping is also permitted around Reservoir #3 (also known as North Lake). There are 4 designated tent/ camp sites. Backcountry camping requires registration with the park office prior to camping. Camping is restricted to designated areas only. Please pack out waste. Fishing is permitted on North Lake. Fish size and bait restrictions are posted. Several areas of parking are available throughout the park. Some areas include pavilions with grills and restrooms. Some restrooms are ADA accessible. A daily park entrance fee is assessed. Fee is $5.00 per adult. A self pay box is available at the gate. Rangers will patrol the park and ticket those that have not submitted a use fee.

This was a great run and new favorite spot for me! Challenging at times, but if you start at the bottom of Brissey(or in a parking lot a mile away like I did) the downhill is awesome. You'll have earned it!

Really nice hike with some buttbusters and beautiful scenery.

One of the best hike I ever enjoyed in years

Pretty nice trail for a jog, completed in a little over two hrs, running when i could. I logged it at just over ten miles.

Good trail. Enjoyed the up and down it had to offer. Enjoyed that 90% of the trail was beneath the trees providing amazing shade. The reservoir is a great sight after hiking to it.

Loved it!

The hike was great overall. The distance varies depending on where you park. We went with our dog and had a great time. Sadly, there’s no lookout or breathtaking view on this hike. The lake was gorgeous, but it’s a lake like many others. It is a great trail though with a variety of terrain. There’s good shade the entire way for those hot days. I would definitely hike it again.

Great to have such a place right in town. More technical than I expected for a state park trail system.

Some difficult bits, but well worth the hike.

One of the most enjoyable trails I've hiked! Completed the big loop clockwise, 17.9km in 03h56. Trail well-maintained. Steep incline around the 5km mark for about 500 meters.

great trail system. this loop shows that riding bikes around lake placid, dont do that. its hiking only. otherwise this trail is pretty fun to ride. good climbing and some fun sections with great flow.

Dog loved the trail! So did the humans. Good views and lovely scenic areas. If you go clockwise, those are in the beginning.

If you love hiking and water falls definitely this is the hike for you. My boyfriend and I loved it.

This trail was amazing. Recommend to go clockwise and plan for longer time cuz the views amazing! Did the trail spring time so the waterfalls and streams were very tranquilizing.

This trail took me about 4hrs 45min and my phone logged it as 12.2 miles with 127 floors. I did the whole thing with my dog. I only passed about 10 people once I got away from the main parking area. Absolutely beautiful hike and not really too hard. I hiked it counter clockwise and I’m glad I did. The app is easy to follow and it’s not too hard to follow the trails when they switch.

I tracked this hike at 11 miles in a little over 4 hours, and I hiked counterclockwise around the loop. Not knowing the trail names well I had to consult the app at several of the junctions to stay on course since this hike connects most of the trails in park, but overall it was easy to follow. The first big uphill on the Eastern side has lots of switchbacks and is fairly easy going. From there it gets more technical as you descend to the northern lake, but it was a beautiful spot to stop for lunch. The climb up the next ridge will wake you up, but the views back down to the lake were neat to watch as I ascended further up. The steep and rocky downhill from there had my knees screaming at me for not bringing poles, but after reaching the old dam and pump house it was smooth sailing back to the car. Overall it's a great hike close to town with lots of varied terrain, perfect for conditioning for that next big backpacking trip!

Tue Dec 11 2018

Fun, fast, and challenging trail. Super Springs to the top is a good climb be not as hard as one might expect. Brissy Ridge is a technical challenge.

Wed Aug 29 2018

re.

Mon Jun 04 2018

I would rate this trail an overall moderate one. Nothing too difficult, beautiful views around the lake! It's a great trail for training or trail running. The only strenuous part I'd say is the foot traffic only portion of Brissy ridge. Overall decent hike, wish there more views.

Sun May 13 2018

Very nice hike for meditation.

Wed May 09 2018

Completed a full 7.5 mile loop with a group of 5, varying in experience and fitness level. The only “view” was of the lake, no waterfalls or anything of the like. Still a beautiful hike. Overall a good experience, will do it again.

Sun Apr 22 2018

We chose this trail as a conditioning trail and the following review is written from the point of view of a backpacker carrying a 30+ lb pack. Fee is now $5.00 per person and you pay at the toll booth, it was early when we arrived and no one was in the booth but they have envelopes to fill out, bring a pen. Started the trails at shelter 5 and 6. Looked like there was a nature walk for kids going on when we started with a Ranger (think this is pretty cool). We walked past them and started up the Sulpher Springs trail. Very shortly the trail came to the first lake we would encounter for the day. Saw a turtle and a lady fall (wear proper shoes guys, there is a lot of rocks and loose debris on the trail). Continuing up the trail we made our way to the waterfall at the dam and the rock tower. Really nice pictures here, the temperature was nice and cool. There are some rock steps that go up to the trail above you that will put you back on track. Once we scurried up those I was feeling good and doubting that this trail was ranked correctly at hard as nothing we had done so far was difficult but my curiosity was soon sated. The incline began and we started up, over rocks, through two streams (very easy crossings), back over rocks, up some more rock steps, leaned against a few trees, and continued on. When I finally came to the top I held up a tree for a good 15 min before the forest sounds finally drowned out the pounding of my heart. (I want to take a moment to mention this trail is very thin at points. Be careful with your four legged pals and children as you go up this section. There is a decent drop on the right side down into a ravine). After a quick break, afore mentioned, we took Fire Tower trail and made our way down this down and back trail. Once we arrived at the burned down fire tower we stopped, had a snack and a decent break. Saw a lizard that was too quick to get a picture of and not much else. Wandered our way back down the trail and picked up Kanuga. Not much here to see until you get to the lake. I do want to mention there are some back country camp sites around the lake. I didn't really venture into them all but there did appear to be enough room for two tents. There is a grated fire pit and a picnic table in the two we did see. As you wander around the lake take a look at the contrast of the evergreens and deciduous trees behind the lake. You are at a vantage point where you can see the difference in colors and it is awesome. The water was really clear as it hadn't rained in a few days but it didn't appear that big fish were not biting as everyone I spoke to only said they were catching a lot of little ones. As you continue over the dam and walk across the little foot bridge (grates) look left down the spillway. There is a lot of debris here and you can imagine the awesome power of water that moved those huge pieces of wood. Walking on around the lake I stumbled upon a couple of more lizards and spotted a duck box, recently put up it appeared, on the far end of the lake. Didn't seem to be much duck activity but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. Next came Pipsissewa trail then Brissy Ridge. At the trail marker we stopped and had lunch and another breather then chose to do the easier side of Brissy Ridge as energy was beginning to fail a little. Down Brissy Ridge the trail opened up and I did get a couple decent pictures of the vista. These were the only ones I was able to get while on the trails. Down Brissy Ridge we went and were dumped into a parking lot. Saw a nice Subaru WRX (YOHB?) in the parking lot but thought for a minute we had lost the trail. If you feel the same way let me save you a little bit of worry, go diagonally left across the parking lot and you should pick up the Sulpher Springs trail. Wandered down to the next parking lot and kept on going. Down hill we continued, passing a tiny black snake and a bunny. Singing is how we finished the trail off as energy was waning and we needed to keep going. All in all the trail is good, I only gave it a 4 star due to the lack of vista views. I was surprised by the amount of people and would expect this area to be highly trafficked during summer. Take plenty of water. Wear the right shoes. Take snacks. Enjoy the hike.

Sat Feb 03 2018

Very nice! The area around the lake was very pleasant. $5/person, many parking areas, well-marked trails.

Thu Nov 09 2017

Mon Oct 30 2017

A fun moderately up and down, and left and right. Well cared for and friendly people. Close to city of Greenville.

Fri Sep 29 2017

Did this yesterday and it was very satisfying!! Multiple lakes, and you get a taste of about 5 different trails. The lakes were breathtaking.

Mon Sep 11 2017

An amazing hike!! There were sights galore and enough traffic to feel perfectly safe. It was one of our more difficult hikes so far, but if you're up for the challenge, you will certainly reap the benefits.

Sat Aug 05 2017

This was a good hike and I like the idea of being able to stay the night at the Res. Very peaceful and clean. I did get off track one too many times and that irritated me.

Thu Jul 27 2017

This trail was fun. Even though everything is very clearly marked one could get lost wondering all the trails and surprising sights hidden in Paris Mountain. A ton of exposed roots, so watch your footing. I'm going to make sure to come back with my family. Great for dogs as well!

Tue Jul 04 2017

Nice mountain for camping and hiking. So many long trails and open campground areas.