Lower Whitewater Falls

Lower Whitewater Falls is a 4.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salem, South Carolina that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The falls are beautiful and powerful. A nice overlook!

Pretty hike!

Excellent trail. More "easy" than moderate... just a little ascending.

The falls are some of the most beautiful I've seen in this area.

Nice lookout 1m. from parking lot to see before or after by car.

Beautiful falls- well worth the hike! it's a very natural path and a pretty steep incline on the way back up. Great hike!

Gorgeous view of falls! Well marked beautiful trail. No crowds.

Nice day hike... viewing deck is small but luckily there were few people on the trail. Note that as you walk from the parking area to the top of the 1st rise the trail continues to the left. The trail that goes to the right leads down the steep incline to the lake and is very over grown.

Awesome trail, I would do it again, the falls are beautiful.

A nice moderate trail to a gorgeous view of the falls. Well worth the hike. An exceptional viewing deck overlooking the falls. This is definitely a falls not to miss.

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Great Trail but distance is longer than what is recorded by about 1/2 mile. Waterfalls were awesome, but from a distance. I thought it as a moderate trail, however, there are some spots that are more strenuous. Well marked trail.

Thursday, December 29, 2016

Great hike-well marked trails. If I had not read other reviews about the end of the hike being at such a distance it would have been disappointing- but beautiful.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Nice afternoon hike!

Tuesday, March 08, 2016

Beautiful day. A very enjoyable hike, the falls were full. Everything great.

Thursday, November 05, 2015

Very beautiful in fall

Friday, October 16, 2015

agree that the trail distances are inaccurate. Liked it more than Upper bc it was less busy and not paved. Rainy day, only encountered 3 people on the hike (including someone hiking with an umbrella! )

The platform was slippery - view nice. Would love to scramble down and explore falls more.

Friday, September 25, 2015

If you are wanting a view of a very nice falls from a good distance away you might like this trail. If you are looking to dip your toes in the falls, forget about it. There are a few nice stream crossings that you are able to cool off and let the dogs catch a drink.
I also agree with Matt Masem and the other with the distance and signs. It's all off on distance.

For me the end result of the view platform of the falls was just a let down.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

I think we took the wrong entrance, we parked past the power company in a small gravel lot with very small signs (right before Natahala Forest sign)
Dirt trail that about halfway had a wasp nest so use caution! After about 2 1/2 miles we gave up on lower view and took a very steep trail up to the overlook with a nice view.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Hiked this trail with a friend during fall peak week here. Beautiful colors all along the trail and great view from the overlook toward the falls which was about a quarter mile away. Trail was almost deserted as we passed only a few more hikers on the way in. This trail is moderate and is kept in it's natural condition which gives you a better presentation than a "maintained" trail. once we left the overlook we hiked back down a dirt and gravel road and did some off the trail hiking down to the falls. It was magnificent. Plan to go back when the leaves are gone for a better long distance view of the falls and Lake Jocassee.

Saturday, July 12, 2014

The posted distances are a mess. You start out with a sign telling you it's 1.7 miles to the falls overlook. Then after you come to a bridge crossing there's a sign pointing to the parking lot 0.5 miles back. That's about right. Cross over some 40 feet of bridge/river and there's a sign telling you it's 0.7 miles to the parking lot. Huh? Also the sign there tells you it's 1.7 miles to the falls. Not a good feeling after hiked a half mile. We went farther and found a sign telling us it was 0.9 miles to the fall now (that was pretty accurate according to my GPS on the way back). The last part leading to the observation deck (a half mile from the falls) is steep downhill. Making the first part of the hike back uphill a pain. I did this carrying my 10 month old in a pack on my back and it was definitely moderate. Sadly the falls are kinda disappointing. Stick with the Higher Whitewater Falls up the road. You can get closer and it's a paved 0.2 mile stroll. This was OK, but was a moderate 4 mile loop to a worse view than most any other waterfall I've seen in the area.

Sunday, June 01, 2014

This was a great trail. We had 5 adults in our group, one carrying a 2 year old in a back carrier. Seeing the falls was nice, but wish they were closer. The last bit of the hike is all downhill, so coming back up after you see the falls was a bit tough on everyone. But then we had fun at the bridge - took off our shoes and waded on the non-rocky side of the bridge - super refreshing. Will definitely go back and check out the other trails that had signs just past the bridge.

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Much longer than posted signage. Overlook is far from falls but really nice view. Can save mileage by using dirt road below parking area