Long Creek Falls

Long Creek Falls is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Longcreek, South Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Trail is good until the end when it drops steeply into area of the falls which is near the river. Do NOT take the first descent on the left as it leads to a cliff overlooking the Chatooga River and NOT the falls. It is a BEASTLY climb out. Fabulous falls that flows into the river. Beautiful place!!!

Great trail, but watch for the turns. It is largely unmarked. There is a large stone arrow on the ground at one junction that directs you the correct way. As previously reviewed, the last bit of the trail leading to the Chattooga River is STEEP! The views of the falls and the river make the climb worth it.

Good hike; if you do geocaching like I do, DO NOT TAKE THE LEFT FORK! It is as stated, a cliff. The climb back up wasn’t worth it for me. The hike was easy but fulllll of silk weaving critters that seem to have silk throughout the entire trail!! I had to walk with a branch out in front to catch most of the silkies.

Really great hike! I took my dog (3-legged) and we both enjoyed it a lot. Only struggle was climbing back up the trail from the bottom of the waterfall. Also suggest longer pants for anyone with plant allergies as some parts of the trail are a bit overgrown. 100% worth it for the views.

Beautiful waterfalls, flowing about a hundred yards right into the Chatooga River. Like past reviews state, the trail really isn't hard. It's mostly a gradual descent, about a mile and a half down an old two track. It can be confusing as it is not well marked. Go right at the fork just after the start. About a mile in, the trail veers north, you'll see an arrow made of rocks on the ground pointing the way right. You will be just over the river now on your left, and its loud. There's a side trail down towards the river, but keep going further to the red flag the left side of the trail. Go down here, straight towards the river. The trail heads down from here, and it's steep, but there are lots of trees to hold on to. Great spot on the river. There's a path up the right towards the falls, with several boulders to sit on and enjoy the falls. Or you can wade across the creek for a better trail up to the left side of the falls.

Beautiful falls. One of my favorites yet. The rating is wrong. This hike is mostly moderate. The only section that gets your heart pumping is the uphill from the falls. An added bonus is Oppossum Creek Falls. Just down the main road a bit. A moderate 3 or more mile hike to another beautiful fall. Love the Chattooga River.

This trail shouldn't be rated as Hard. It's easy until the last bit down to the falls, which is steep and tiring on the way up, but not at all dangerous. This should be a moderate rating at best. It's likely the Hard rating came from going left at the fork instead of right.

There is a water crossing at the end, just before the falls. The water is only shin deep and easy to walk in most places. You can try to rock-hop your way across, but most of the rocks are slick and submerged. Best to be prepared for getting your feet wet.

Overall, great hike and amazing falls. The Oconee area and Sumter Forest have some of my favorite falls in the area.

Saturday, September 30, 2017

There's quite a climb coming back from the river. I enjoy sitting on a big rock and watching kayakers come down stream.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

I really enjoyed this trail! pretty easy till the end. getting down the hill is easy, getting up is kind of tough. not a dangerous trail at all. there's a number of tree fallen on the trail after the 4x4 trail begins so it is best to just walk that part. no good places to hang a hammock but plenty of good rocks to sit on. If you get the chance, climbing the falls is cool too. once you grt to a point where theres a big mud hole, look to the right. you'll find a sign starting the walking trail and follow that. it won't be obvious to find the trail. just as a warning, the amount of spiders on this trail is ABSURD. bring a towel and a stick of some sort. I found three spiders on me before getting back in my truck after already wiping probably a dozen off already through the trail.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

such a hidden gem! the falls at the end are absolutely beautiful. the trail is not well marked, so we used a guide. the very end is a steep descent to the falls.

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Excellent views of the falls and it actually leads to the river which was such a great surprise. We absolutely loved this hike! The falls are beautiful and the difficult part was just going down to river and then our return trip back (uphill). We plan on coming back and spending more time at the river ( a great fishing or camping location).
There are no markings for the trail and as stated in another review, stay to the right. Most parts are a loop but stay right and you won't have to worry about it.

Sunday, September 03, 2017

beautiful trail...moderate till the last bit, that is pretty steep but well worth it! One of the prettiest falls I've seen so far. trail is not well marked stay to the right at all the forks until the last then it goes down to the left.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

I wouldn't rate this as a difficult hike; it was fairly easy until the last descent to the waterfall and that gets a bit tricky. Absolutely stunning little spot at the end though!

Sunday, July 09, 2017

I would say this is a moderate hike, not difficult. We just completed this trail with four eight year olds. What a fantastic payoff!

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Hiked this with my husband and kids (11, 7, 5 years).... it was a great hike! Like the others said it is pretty easy till the descent to the falls, it's very steep. Plan to spend time at the falls, it's beautiful! Lots of climbing on rocks and even areas to take a dip (it is a big river with a strong current so be aware of that). The climb out was tough as expected, but everyone did it. Actually felt shorter hiking up than it did down. Like others posted, it's a long gravel road to park, then walk the "jeep/utility vehicle road" and stay to the paths on the RIGHT. It splits at one point and someone was kind enough to have placed an arrow of rocks to keep right, so "thank you" to that person.

Friday, February 10, 2017

Nice easy hike. Great location to take dogs.

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

I attempted this trail 2 days ago, however I think I went down the wrong left hand path (the one that had the arrrow made of stones blocking it and signaling to continue on the main path). After I realized that the left hand path I chose was treacherous, I went a bit further on the main path, but didn't see the mysterious left hand path I was supposed to take to descend. Can anyone advise me - is the path I was supposed to take before or after the one I took?

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Great day!

Monday, July 18, 2016

This trail is not well marked. From the parking area, take the Jeep trail. Once you get to the hiking trail, do not make the mistake of taking a trail to the left when you first hear water. It's very slick and steep and leads to Raven's Cliff and Raven's Chute on the Chattooga River. Falls can be a busy place around lunch time with rafters and kayakers stopping for a break.

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Nice Hike, Waterfall is hard to see from the main trail. I could not find the way down to the falls so we missed out on seeing the fall close up, but if you follow the trail another mile you will be at the river. This in itself is well worth the hike. look forward to doing this again in the near future.

Friday, September 11, 2015

Fun trail easy to walk with a short downhill to the waterfall. Gorgeous waterfall to sit in front of and relax.

Friday, June 26, 2015

Really nice hike until the end. Pretty steep descent, and a heck of a climb back out. Completely worth it though. The falls are gorgeous, and if you cross the creek you can sit right at the base. Nice camping area too.

Sunday, January 04, 2015

Very nice family hike, 1.5 miles each way to the beautiful Chattooga River, nearly level most of the way. Last bit at the waterfall is steep but short.

Saturday, July 26, 2014

I did this trail with my 11 and 7 year old. It is a good easy hike until the end. You go down a steep incline and coming out it is hard. It's a beautiful area on the Chatooga. My dog was in heaven! The only negative thing is that you are really secluded. No cell phone service. I get a little nervous that if we needed help we wouldn't be able to get any. I didn't let mine really swim because I was scared to, but it's a good swimming area.

Friday, September 06, 2013

Haven't done this one, but another trail close to this one is Opossum Creek Falls. That hike is a good one! The trails in this area have been maintained very well. Very beautiful trail system. Hats off to Sumter National Forest Rangers.

Friday, October 26, 2012

The trail is located at the end of a well maintained unpaved windy road. There is ample parking at the trailhead. The trail is an unused road to the right of the lot. It was marked with orange flagging. The trail had a couple of splits and we stayed to the right. It transitions to a winding trail. The roar of the falls provided an indicator we were close. There were branches across the trail and an opening to the left that led to a steep descent to the river and the outlet of Long Creek to the Chattooga River. From there we crossed the creek and was able to walk up to the base of the falls. Water was low so crossing creek was easy. Beautiful views and sound of roaring water from falls.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

The falls were really nice. Long Creek runs another 50-100 yards and empties into the Chatooga. Rather easy until the end. Good trail. The day we went there was only one other person on the trail.