Lee Falls Trail

Lee Falls Trail is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tamassee, South Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from March until October.

What a nice hike. Starts off very easy through several fields, cross the creek several times and into the woods. Approximately 0.2-0.3 miles before you arrive at the waterfalls, trees are down making the trail harder to follow. Overgrown and rocky at the end. However, very worth it for the pictures of the falls. Would not recommend for any one younger than 10. Recommend long pants and waterproof hiking boots as well as reading others descriptions here. It was an easy hike with a beautiful waterfall.

Raining hike today. This hike was amazing. First time actually following the trail on All Trails App. It was great. Walked through several open fields. You have to go through 4 plus creek crossing. Wear pants ... there is a leaf all through trail that made my legs itch so bad. Kept washing my legs in creek. Climb boulders to get to base of falls. A really fun hike.

If you hike this trail I would suggest wearing pants and boots, you cross about 6 creeks (yes tennis shoes will get wet) and towards the end near the waterfall it is VERY grown up with plants that make your legs itch and trees have fallen you have to climb over! The waterfall was WELL worth it but be careful to not get lost on the trail, use this app and it will lead you straight there. When you get to a creek towards the end, you can follow down the side of the bank to get to the waterfall. Much easier than going through a small part in the woods climbing over trees and over grown plants. There is not much elevation to this trail so if you feel like you have started to increase drastically in elevation, you are going the wrong way. We loved it and would definitely do it again, but with pants and boots on next time!

be careful. trail not marked well and several times the path goes through the creek.

It was a great hiking trail once we figured out where to begin. Really had to follow the map from here to see where to go in the beginning. You had to walk through some fields that were grown up pretty high to get to the trails but once you were on the trail, it was easy to follow. Wear boots because you have to cross a lot of creeks and climb up pretty steep rocks at the end. The waterfall at the end was absolutely beautiful!

I loved this trail & hope to return soon. It was easy to follow once I figured out where to begin: the closed road branching off the parking area where the bridge is. I wore waders & shorts & now have legs covered in poison ivy bumps - really wish I had on pants. I saw a momma bear & her cub's tracks. the falls were beyond breathtaking - I felt like I was in another world. I will post pictures.

Loved this trail! Lots and lots of trees down and kind of confusing to follow due to their not being any guidance besides the app! Wear rain boots! You go through maybe 4 or 5 creeks!

I absolutely loved this trail. The lead up to the waterfall was awesome. It needs a little maintenance though. Rocks definitely need to be placed in the crossings between the fields. I took both parents,who are 70, and I have to say, my mom did not like crossing the fallen logs. The waterfall was beautiful and I really enjoyed climbing the moss covered rocks to get pictures. I will definitely do this hike again and explore a little more. This is one of my favorite waterfalls so far and I’ve been to a lot of falls!!! ♥️♥️♥️

I did this hike on Sunday, March 4th, my second time doing this hike, the weather was great! TI really enjoyed this trail. It is an easy hike with a beautiful waterfall. Huge boulders all covered in moss. The waterfalls falls into a gorge. We had just had rain last week so there was plenty of water at the falls. I got some great photos which I have uploaded.
After passing thru the gate you will go hike thru 4 wildlife fields. There are several creek crossings. The first creek crossing there are no rocks so expect to get your shoes wet. All of the other crossings there are rocks or tree limbs for crossing. After the 4th field the trail is in the right corner of the field. The trail is not marked and there are several more tributary of Tamassee Creek along the way. At one tributary the tails goes left and less traveled trail to the right, "be sure to go left and cross the creek". Be sure to stay left of the creek, whenl you get within 300 - 400 feet of the falls, at this point you have to pick your way thru the rocks and boulders to get closer to the falls. Be sure that you are on the left side of Tamassee Creek to get to the falls.

Directions from Travelers Rest, SC -- from SunRift Adventure parking lot, travel on 276 to Hwy 11
Go 44.7 miles from Sunrift until you turn right onto Cheohee Valley Road

from Cleveland SC US Post office you will travel another 34.9 miles
from the Moorefield Memorial Hwy/Hwy 11 intersection you will travel another 19 mile
At Cheohee Valley Road there is a brown sign on the left side of Hwy 11 that says Piedmont Forestry Center, SC Forestry Commission.

Turn right onto Cheohee Valley Road.
Go 2.1 miles and turn left on Tamassee Knob Road
Drive another 0.50 miles and turn right on Jumping Branch Road
Then another 1.5 mile to the second dirt/gravel road, it is not marked but you want FS715A
Go approximately 0.7 miles to a dirt parking area on the right just before a concrete bridge. You will see the gate and fields.
The path immediately goes into the field past the gate.

Have fun!

Enjoyed this trail. Not marked at all. Must use this app to find it. Can easily take a wrong trail at one of the stream crossing. If you stay on the app you will have no problem. Very remote and private. We were the only ones their. The water fall is beautiful. Does require climbing up rocks to get to the falls. Would recommend boots as you do cross several streams. But worth the hike. It’s about an hour each way.

Fun trail to test your land nav knowledge. I may have seen one blue flag during this entire trail. Would recommend for anyone looking for a slight challenge and great nature

Took us two days of hiking this thing. But so worth it!! DO NOT take the trail with the red or orange tape. You will be lost for miles and spend your whole day looking for the falls in the wrong direction. Be sure to cross the first creek after all four fields, which will be on your left. Stay on that trail. Be sure to keep that creek in site, otherwise you will be going the wrong way. You will start to see little waterfalls and you'll be closer, so keep going!! This app was so helpful in finding the falls and I hope we had found this app earlier, but if you get lost just follow the maps on here!

Though the trail is very obvious once you get out of the fields, it is not well marked with the blue flagging. I'm used to seeing paint blazes on trees.
This is not a high flow fall, but it is very pretty. I got some nice pictures due to my willingness to scramble around the rocks at the base of the fall.

Monday, June 05, 2017

Be cautious to which ribbons you follow. (The blue seems to be the best and look new) After the meadows I missed the first creek crossing because the blue ribbon and trail was on the opposite side of the creek and I didn't see it, but the (wrong) trail kept going and marked with old multicolor ribbons. It took 3/4 mile before this trail became to impassable from trees down. I wish I had looked at my phone/map sooner.
Want to do a daily act of kindness and planning to do this hike?! Bring more ribbon for crossings/splits! ( and make a comment of the color so others know which to follow!)

Sunday, June 04, 2017

over grown, but easy to follow. wear shoes you don't mind getting wet and long pants. rocks get very slick as you get closer to waterfall. worth the short hike!!!

Thursday, May 25, 2017

nice easy hike till last 100 yards or so there was a few flags along the way not bad to find your way it's like being in a rainforest with all the greenery.

Monday, May 22, 2017

This is one of the best water falls I've seen in a while. However you're going to work for the reward. Nothing hard just a bit technical near the falls. The trailhead starts at a field. Keep in mind that during the summer the grass will be tall. The morning I went it was wet so I ended up having to wear my leg gaiters. Once near the falls there was lots of stinging nettle and the rocks were slippery. Just be careful in that there are some large drops from the trail. This is NOT a kid friendly trail.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Beautiful falls at the end! Overgrown though:

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

I highly recommend this trail. Not clear directions on where the trail starts, but definitely a great trail once you find it.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

My favorite falls! The hike to get to the falls is great, you will go through fields, over logs fallen in the path, navigate through several streams by balancing on rocks or fallen logs and then climb up the rocks to the high falls. It's great!!!

Monday, February 27, 2017

This was a great relaxing and fun trail! Most of the trail is really easy, though it is not marked super well and can be a little confusing at some points. I did have to stop and question if I was on the path at a few points. You do have to cross through some creek beds, and the first one doesn't really have any rocks to step on, so be prepared for wet feet. There are also several fallen trees to climb over, but nothing difficult.
Once you get to the first little water fall, be prepared to climb. To get to the large, main waterfall, you have to go to the left and follow the not very well maintained path over fallen trees and rocks. It is definitely manageable, but also a little bit of a fun challenge and totally worth it if you make it all the way up right by the waterfall. If it was warmer out, I would have probably attempted to get closer to the mist of the falls.

Saturday, January 14, 2017

We hiked this trail last summer... and hated it. The stinging nettles were very overgrown and we were wearing shorts (not smart on our part). We just hiked it again in January and loved it! The nettles were practically nonexistent. The part through the grassy fields is a nice cool down on the way back, especially after climbing up and down the rocks and logs. Overall it is a pretty easy hike though. The waterfall was flowing nicely after a bit of rain and snow melt. Picturesque and peaceful.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Amazing, fun to drive to and find. The first part of the hike is a bit ho-hum, but nicely broken up by crossing the stream a few times. One you get into the woods it's a lot of fun climbing the logs. Then, one you get to the base of the waterfalls and climb up it's amazing. Being at the base and looking straight up into the falls is awesome. 10/10

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

My favorite hike and waterfall in SC! It's also said to be the "most scenic" on the state. Can be a bit confusing to find, I had to ask a forest worker myself, but the hassle was well worth it! Beautiful fields, you have to cross and leap some streams, and climb over some boulders, but the payoff makes it all worth it! Gorgeous waterfall, lots of places to sit, rest, eat lunch and take it all in. I was able to walk right under the falls and let it drench me. I love everything about this place.

Saturday, June 04, 2016

This trail is absolutely gorgeous, but is somewhat difficult to follow. The pink flags described in some of these comments have been taken down. Wear long pants as there is walking across tall grassy fields, as well as a lot of poison ivy and stinging nettles. Don't let this discourage your trip, we were the only people on the trail and the view at the end was well worth it.

Monday, May 23, 2016

I had a great time figuring this trail out. You just need to read up on it before you go. Fields for days and you might have to take your shoes off and wade through the creeks, esp after it rains but it's worth it. You basically have to rock climb to get to the falls but that's kind of the best part. Def a fun adventure for me.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Well worth the effort. I loved the hike and the climb at the end to get to the falls. Yes it takes some effort but is so worth it!

Saturday, April 16, 2016

The falls is well worth the climb. I thought it was an easy hike with a rocky climb at the end.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Well worth the effort.

Thursday, March 24, 2016

The trail, itself, takes some attention to get there--shout out to previous posts! The meadows you pass through initially are gorgeous and easy, flat, as most of the trail is after you pass into the woods (thus, two stars instead of just one). However, I couldn't even get to where I could see (or hear) the falls due to steep inclines with loose stone and soil I didn't feel safe on even hands and knees almost rock climbing, and had to turn back. Unless there is SERIOUS trail maintenance and reconstruction, I would NOT recommend this trail to even adventurous hikers. Poorly marked and hard to follow in the underbrush and fallen trees even with the red/pink ribbons, which were sparse.