Learn more

Landsford Canal State Historic Site

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(78)
Landsford Canal State Park

Landsford Canal State Historic Site is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Catawba, South Carolina that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.3 miles Elevation Gain: 49 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

Some of the spider lilies are blooming

Easy wooded trail. Great for all ages and for dogs. Museum-like displays near canal historical sites.

Beautiful, easy hike. Jogging strollers would work well here but I wouldn’t take a small toddler unless you stick with the nature trail — the canals are not blocked off and if your kid’s a runner or daredevil they could try to jump in. (I have a daredevil 6yo I was constantly reminding to be careful!) Very lovely forest and interesting canal ruins. Highly recommended for a trail run too. Wasn’t crowded when we got there around 10am on a Tuesday. And the lilies are allllllmost blooming.

Very good!

Fun! Interesting trail! You can even swim in the summer

Great trail! Easy out and bike trail. There were a lot of areas along the river where you could let the dogs play or wade in to cool off.

Cool trail with some historic markers. Check out the bald eagle’s nest too.

Mon May 27 2019

Every Spring the state park here features the spider lilies, that grow in the fast moving water on the river that edges the trail. This is one of the few places where you can see these natural beauties - so bring some binos. Next, the trail features the archeological remnants of a lock system used in the early 1800s. 200 year old cut granite walls seem in remarkable shape, and are definitely worth a look!

Sun Mar 24 2019

This was our first hike in SC and my first hike bringing my children and it was PERFECT! The trail was really easy and it was so interesting to my girls that they have now caught the hiking bug! It was a little muddy from all the rain but that’s part of the fun for sure:)

Mon Mar 11 2019

It was such a cute little trail! My dog and I stopped by on our way to Columbia and it was just what we wanted. It is pretty secluded but it was great for me cause I was able to play fetch with my dog near the picnic area without having to worry about other people. Very well kept trails and definitely worth the stop!

Thu Jan 31 2019

Fun day trip! I went during the summer. Interesting history. Would love to visit again when the lilies are in bloom or to catch the bald eagles.

Sun Jan 06 2019

Great trail for dogs, nice level path that follows the river on the Nature Trail and the Canal Trail has beautiful historical structures. As it got closer to noon more hikers arrived but overall not a crowded trail.

Tue Dec 18 2018

Fun and easy trail for hiking and bird watching. We saw an eagle in its nest on our last visit. You can also work your way to the middle of the Catawba river by rock hopping in some spots. Enjoy!

Mon Jul 02 2018

Nice easy trail to take our dog

Sun Apr 29 2018

Interesting history

Sat Apr 21 2018

Super fun place to go check out! I recommend checking this place out while you're blazing the trails along the canal.

Wed Aug 23 2017

Wonderful day trip! Fun for all ages. *Bring water shoes and a backpack. (if you are willing to get a little wet) ;)

Sun Aug 06 2017

Family friendly, relaxing hike with interesting historical landmarks and views of the river along the way.

Mon Apr 10 2017

Neat to see the canals, a bonus for the kids.

Mon Feb 27 2017

Lovely trail.

Sat Feb 25 2017

beautiful for fall hiking

Wed Jan 18 2017

Great views and well marked trails. Always friendly people as well.

Wed Jul 06 2016

Great short trail! Learned about some history with signs along the way. The canal trail connects to the Nature trail near where there is supposed to be a good view of the spider lilies, although they weren't in bloom (July). Just up from there, along the nature trail, you can hop off the path (it's obvious where as others have) and see the water. I hopped across a few rocks and sat there to read. Very peaceful. Not a lot of hiking traffic today, which was nice. Glad I found this little gem. I'll be back! :)

Mon Nov 16 2015

Awesome fall hike

Tue Nov 10 2015

Scenic, historic, mild, hike on flat ground. Kids would be able to do this one. Area is both rich in history and ecology.

Mon May 25 2015

Great beginner hike especially in late May. Spider lilies were beautiful.

Fri May 22 2015

Great place especially when the endangered rocky shoals spider lily is in bloom. There is also an active bald eagle nest where you can see fledgling eagles.

Sat Feb 14 2015

It is a great park, but it is NOT located in Catawba, that is only a mailing address. All the ruins are located (and all the trails) in Chester County. The Lock Keepers House was moved from Great Falls, also in CHESTER County. Lancaster County is on the other side of the River, you can see Landsford Canal from there. That said, the Chester part of Landsford Canal has some really nice, easy walking trails and about every time I go I get to see the bald eagles. Come visit Chester County's Landsford Canal.

Sat May 31 2014

Easy hike, pretty wildflowers and river. Go in late May or early June. Great kayak launch spot too.