Kingsnake Trail is a 7.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hopkins, South Carolina that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.8 miles Elevation Gain: 22 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The Kingsnake Trail explores a remote part of Congaree National Park. The Kingsnake Trail explores a remote part of Congaree National Park. The trail offers excellent birdwatching, and hikers may spot deer, raccoons, opossums, and even bobcat tracks. Midway, the trail passes a large cypress-tupelo slough that seems to go on forever. On the other side of the trail, giant cherrybark oaks stand at near-record size. The trail is not a loop although it can be hiked out and back. The trail ends on oakridge trail which is still a two mile hike back to the visitor center.

1 hour ago

Super excited to do this hike! Get there and it’s completely washed out. Multiple people with no where to go...

bridge out
fee

We really enjoyed this Trail. there were a few blowdowns, but easy to get around. it was sprinkling and it had rained a lot last night. the Trail was thus muddy. several places were in need of brushing out. but the scenery was splendid. lots of crawdads in all the water holes. we had to turn around 2.6 miles in due to a bridge in such bad repair we were not willing to cross it.

bridge out

This is one of my favorite trails at CNP but I have yet to cover the whole thing. Volunteers were out on Labor Day clearing overgrowth about 2 miles in, where I turned back this time. (Thanks to them for their hard work on a holiday no less!) On my next trip, I plan to start out at the Visitors Center and work in from that direction. This trail is quiet but for a few other committed hikers and of course all the birds, hogs, and other wildlife. There are basic toilets at the trailhead and enough activity there and by cedar creek with kayakers that starting out doesn’t feel secluded in a creepy way.

We only went out a bit then turned around. The trail is very overgrown with poison ivy evident. Be careful here.

closed

Part of this trail was closed when we visited a few years back. We didn’t get to finish it.

Sun Mar 31 2019

Enjoyed this hike as a change of pace from my usual mountain hikes. The big trees along this trail are worth the hike, especially one particular cypress that was at least 7 feet wide. Heard a lot more than I saw although there were lots of birds, the streams were filled with crawdads and there was a big black rat snake along side the trail. At the trailhead there is a sign that this is a wilderness area. At times this means the trail is more of a suggestion than an actual trail. There was a stretch beginning about a mile and a half in from the trailhead which seems to have the most blown down trees and related detours, for about a mile, but the rest was okay. I enjoyed these little diversions, either trying to pick through and crawl over trees or finding a way around. I think I picked a good time to go - no bugs.

Sun Nov 11 2018

Hiked today. Great weather. Not much wildlife just some birds, squirrels, and one little frog. Trail needs a lot of work. It is very poorly marked and the bridge before the last stretch was wrecked by a fallen tree. I had fun but I wouldn’t do it again.

Fri Jun 01 2018

I was not as big of a fan of this one.. its too flat I like poinsett state park

Tue Apr 18 2017

Hiked trail mid July, 2016 prompted by the inclusion of the Kingsnake trail in Backpacker: National Parks Coast to Coast 100 Best Hikes book by Ted Alvarez. It is listed at 11.7 miles by nps which may include the connectors (e.g. Boardwalk loop trail, etc.) if starting at the visitor center. It is an out and back with a pit toilet at the turnaround. The trail itself not well trafficked or maintained; not well marked. The large spider webs, some with multiple large spiders in them, crossed the trail, which required us to wave a pole in front of us nearly the entire way out to avoid being covered in webs. Happy it was an out and back so didn't have to do that on the way back (except when trail finding). Scenery was gorgeous for the most part. Numerous birds, feral hogs, several snakes (1 rattlesnake). No problem with mosquitoes that day. Overall, I would not do this hike again--at least in July because of the hundreds of spiders with webs blocking the trail. This trail could use some TLC.

Tue Jan 17 2017

Trail seemed to have seen better days and hasn't been very maintained in a long while since the hurricane. Very large fallen trees make it difficult to navigate. Found myself paused and searching for trail markers to get back on the trail. Almost impossible to get to Oakridge from Kingsnake unless you know the trail really well. Difficult for my dog with lots of thorn branches covering the trail. Other than all the cons, still a beautiful trail and very out of the way of disturbances. Little to no elevation changes and lots of different angles views of the swamp.

Thu May 12 2016

Giant blue egrets (?), giant pileated woodpeckers, giant trees, not quite giant but pretty impressively sized hogs. Long flat trial, a little muddy.

Fri Mar 11 2016

I gave it three stars because of the obstacles that I had to either go around or go through to stay on the trail. I walked this trail in March when the leaves were off of the trees and I really don't see what the fuss is all about in this National Park. Everything looked the same for the most part--flat land, trees, water, muddy water, puddles, mud, etc. The park is supposedly known for it's wildlife but I didn't see anything the entire evening but two squirrels on this trail. I did see evidence of hogs on and beside the trail.

Sun Dec 20 2015

A more remote trail with wonderful trees and lots of wildlife. I unknowingly walked up to a very large wild boar before it fled from the underbrush.

Sat May 23 2015

A great trail in a less crowded part of the park. It is an out and back trail unless you want to hike all the way back to the ranger station. There is always lots of wildlife here! A fun hike any time of the year. The trail will occasionally flood so check the weather.

Sat Jan 11 2014

If you go in the warm weather, take mosquito repellent! Wild pigs are a little scary but they usually stay away from people.

Mon Oct 14 2013

Great trail, Mosquitos can be ruthless so keep that in mind! Some of the oldest and tallest trees in SC are located here. beautiful cypress trees and swamp land makes you feel in another world. great fishing as well if you can make a paddle trip out of it.

Sat May 11 2019