Kings Mountain National Recreation Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(66)
Kings Mountain State Park

Kings Mountain National Recreation Trail is a 15.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Grover, North Carolina that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length15.6 miElevation gain1,571 ftRoute typeLoop
Dogs on leashBackpackingCampingHikingNature tripsBird watchingRunningForestViewsWildlifeBlowdown
Description
Waypoints (0)

The offline map is recommended to get oriented as several users have reported that this trail is not well marked and/or that there may be poor cell reception in this area.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (69)
Photos (286)
Recordings (60)
Completed (169)
Audrey Page Stepp
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 24, 2021
View Audrey Page's Recording
Alison House
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 10, 2021
HikingGreat!Muddy

Challenging in parts but very well marked and a good distance loop

Michael White
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 1, 2020
HikingGreat!
David Panda
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 30, 2020
Lou A
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 30, 2020
View Lou's Recording
David Panda
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 25, 2020
Backpacking
David Panda
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 16, 2020
Backpacking

After a few days of rain, the trail is in good shape, no mud or other problens, trail is well marked.

Joshua Thomforde
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 17, 2020
HikingGreat!
View Joshua's Recording
Willow Radford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 13, 2020
HikingBugsMuddy

What ever you do DO NOT!!!!! hike this alone and bring plenty of food and water make sure you are wearing loose clothing and lightweight waterproof boots

View Willow's Recording
Calli Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 26, 2020
RunningBugsMuddyOver grown

One of the most boring trails I've ever been on. Nothing remarkable to look at, mostly muddy, and mile markers on the trail are completely inaccurate. Bring a real map and mark your trail because theirs have lost most of the "you are here" dots. You will have no cell service majority of the hike. Bugs are horrible (end of June) because of the close proximity of the trail to babbling and standing water a lot of the way. Wear long pants and waterproof shoes. Don't expect to see many people. Don't expect to see anything new for miles. Bring a water filter instead of packing water in. I jogged it with a 20lb pack in ± 4.5 hours with a few stops along the way. Was overall a super boring day. You can find WAY prettier trails within an hour's drive. Won't be back.

Charles Gossett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 14, 2020
BackpackingBugsRocky

I have been recovering from injury so I decided to try this as my first overnight back in the trail. Numerous water sources, rolling hills and some nice backcountry campsites. Definitely a gateway to the mountains with its numerous glades and rock outcroppings.

Thomas Wickham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 18, 2020
Hiking

I parked near the damn and went left at the trailhead to hike clockwise. I camped at the Garner Creek site and finished up the next day. This was my first overnighter and I was testing myself and some gear. I would recommend this trail based on the scenery and level of difficulty. There was plenty of water to filter along the way and it wasn’t crowded.

Malcolm Nix
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 9, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky
View Malcolm's Recording
Winter Kaplan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 16, 2020
Hiking

I went from boulder access to the trail. There is some conflicting information, it’s a 3 mile walk on ridgeline. The majority of the trail is by water I recommend a water filter. A lot of it is creek crossing, over a hill, creek crossing and repeat. Pretty consistently up and down. I was able to navigate the creek crossings and generally stay dry but I had a light pack and I’m good at creek hopping. There are no ‘views’ from ridgeline. I wasn’t expecting it and I don’t care. The flora by the creek is gorgeous and it really reminded me of the Real Mountains in western NC. Crowders has a more drastic climb in elevation and I enjoyed ridgeline but I this trail is really nice. Much more vibrant. I only passed a few people. Much nicer than crowders in that aspect.

View Winter's Recording
Michele Patterson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 4, 2019
Hiking

I did this trail 3 years ago. I camped after 8 miles and finished up the next morning. The last few miles were overgrown. I saw my very first rattlesnake on this hike.

William Pursley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 26, 2019
HikingBlowdown

Real nice trail does have those elevation changes now and then you do have to cross a few creeks without bridges on the state park side there was a group of trees that was on the trail had to climb over them I recommend starting from the national park side lots of downhill at the start saves you a lot of energy I recommend It

ROBERT MICHELLE ORTLOFF
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 21, 2019
HikingBlowdownOver grown

Started at the National Park side and went counter clockwise - trail very well maintained and marked. Once you hit the State side the trail becomes overgrown in places with many downed trees (mostly at the far end of the trail). It is apparent the Rangers are working from their side of trailhead in to move downed trees and clean up the overgrowth Nothing impassable or too difficult (only once did we leave the trail to bypass). We stayed at site #2 about six miles in (this one wasn’t on the maps but was convenient with a fire ring and stream behind to filter. water). Trail was strenuous at times with full loaded packs and kids and dog. Beautiful area and scenery - many of the streams were dry.

View ROBERT MICHELLE's Recording
Allen Kirkland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 1, 2019
HikingBlowdownBugsOver grownRocky

Clockwise it starts out easy to moderate but at the end it gets a little tough. Kinda new and used to 9-12 mi hikes at moderate level. The last 4mi. Gave it its hard level. Lots of fun. Not too many people and the path was pretty well marked some areas got pretty dense though but we were warned by a park ranger that it’s get pretty dense.

Sarah McCall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 8, 2019
Hiking

I went clockwise on the trail which was nicely shaded. There are a few areas where it was swampy, so I’d recommend boots. There are a few streams to cross though only one that got my feet wet. Part of the trail was closed due to wildfire, so I hiked along the road until I was able to jump back on the trail again. I wish it was marked before I started. The trail was nicely maintained and saw a few tents along the way.

Jim Heinz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 27, 2019
HikingOff trail