Kings Mountain National National Recreation Trail

Kings Mountain National National Recreation Trail is a 15.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Clover, South Carolina that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

This was a L O N G trail but nice burner. I followed the directions to the trail from ALlTrails and parked in the lot next to Lake Crawford. You actually have to park on the grass because the asphalt is for traffic. I started to the right of Lake Crawford and traveled about a 1/8 mile where you start the Recreation Trail. It starts with a nice incline and continues with various inclines and declines throughout the 16 mile trek. The first thing you notice is that there are a lot of downed tress, large and small, blocking many of the trails. I imagine the park is treated as a nature preserve, as to not disturb the ecosystem. The weather was great for a hike and the spider webs were everywhere. I literally walked with my hiking pole straight in the air for the first 4 miles, just to keep from smacking into spider webs. The trail crosses at least 4 streams and only one that will get your feet wet, so wear your waterproof boots. To be honest, the trail doesn't look well traveled and I noticed a lot of overgrowth crossing the trail throughout my hike. There aren't many breathtaking views atop the mountain but the trail is nature at its best. This is a great day hike for the enthusiast but probably not for a beginner. It took me all of 8 hours to complete the 16 miles. Be careful when crossing the creek, the blazes aren't always clear, especially on the way back. I didn't see anyone on the trail, but then again it was a weekday and I guess 16 miles isn't your everyday hike. Bring a hat, your long pants and your poles because you'll need them. I'll be back here again, great burn. "Go Outside And Play!'

Great climbs. Mostly single track. Multiple trees cross the path as obstacles. Lots of tree shade and multiple stream crossings. (only 1 that you will get your shoes wet on)

Saturday, August 08, 2015