Kings Mountain National National Recreation Trail

Kings Mountain National National Recreation Trail is a 15.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Clover, South Carolina that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

This park is a great alternative to crowders mtn, which can become very crowded on certain days. I’ve never done the whole loop but the portion that I do is one of my favorites in the area. I start out at the equestrian parking lot and pick up the trail from there. If you have dogs they will love this trail since it follows a creek for a couple miles before splitting away from it. Just be cautious of the snakes in the warmer months. I encountered 3 harmless black snakes but also 2 water moccasins in the time I spent on the hike (about 5 miles) so if your dogs have “choosey” listening skills and are as curious as mine are, it might be better to keep them on a leash in spring and summer. Other than that, the trail is really nice and the water is always cool in the summer which is something my furry buds appreciate.

split this trail in half. hiked first half camped then hiked second half. it was the first time I've hiked this trail. if I do it again I would go in at the national Park and hike to there camp site then back, and pack more water. the dreams there was almost dry and questionable to filter to drink.

This was a L O N G trail but nice burner. I followed the directions to the trail from ALlTrails and parked in the lot next to Lake Crawford. You actually have to park on the grass because the asphalt is for traffic. I started to the right of Lake Crawford and traveled about a 1/8 mile where you start the Recreation Trail. It starts with a nice incline and continues with various inclines and declines throughout the 16 mile trek. The first thing you notice is that there are a lot of downed tress, large and small, blocking many of the trails. I imagine the park is treated as a nature preserve, as to not disturb the ecosystem. The weather was great for a hike and the spider webs were everywhere. I literally walked with my hiking pole straight in the air for the first 4 miles, just to keep from smacking into spider webs. The trail crosses at least 4 streams and only one that will get your feet wet, so wear your waterproof boots. To be honest, the trail doesn't look well traveled and I noticed a lot of overgrowth crossing the trail throughout my hike. There aren't many breathtaking views atop the mountain but the trail is nature at its best. This is a great day hike for the enthusiast but probably not for a beginner. It took me all of 8 hours to complete the 16 miles. Be careful when crossing the creek, the blazes aren't always clear, especially on the way back. I didn't see anyone on the trail, but then again it was a weekday and I guess 16 miles isn't your everyday hike. Bring a hat, your long pants and your poles because you'll need them. I'll be back here again, great burn. "Go Outside And Play!'

Great climbs. Mostly single track. Multiple trees cross the path as obstacles. Lots of tree shade and multiple stream crossings. (only 1 that you will get your shoes wet on)

Saturday, August 08, 2015