King Creek Falls Trail

King Creek Falls Trail is a 1.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mountain Rest, South Carolina that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.7 miles Elevation Gain: 249 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I would rate this trail as moderate, not easy. There was a very large log that had to be climbed over. Also lots of roots and slippery rocks. The falls are beautiful and well worth the trip.

Very easy hiking once you get on the trail. The Rocky road before that is rough on your feet. Once you are down at the bottom, facing the waterfall look up and right! There is a bear cave. So don't go when it gets dark!

This is not an easy trail. Do not be mistaken like we were. From this and other sites we took small children to hike to it so they could play in the water. It was skinny paths with drops down the mountain side, it's full of roots and pot holes, and to get the waterfall at the end, you have to cross a massy log and climb wet rocks. The kids could not finish the hike and we had to turn around. The rest of our group did finish it and said it was beautiful. But also, the swimming hole is only a foot deep and not for swimming just walking.

Perfect way to spend an hour-ish. If your dog is a water lover, there is quite a reward for them in the form of a pool below the falls so you can all rest and rehydrate.

Definitely more of a moderate hike. Lots of roots and there is a large downed tree to climb near the falls with no other way around it. Falls are huge and gorgeous though, so there is a big pay off for scrambling through.

I believe this trail is moderate. Some of the trail is a little bit harder than other parts you do have to cross a tree before you get to the falls. The trail was marked with orange paint on some of the trees. The waterfall is absolutely beautiful and water feels amazing on a hot day! This is my favorite waterfall and it was well worth the hike!

Nice trail and very pretty Falls.

Easy trail, there is parking at top of hill near the vault toilet and some limited parking near the trailhead.

Hiked this on 5/29/19. I don’t think it’s as easy as some say. You have to climb over a fallen tree at a spot where the path is about a foot wide and the tree is angled down the slope. The tree is cut out so that helps with getting over it. We have been very dry here for a couple of weeks and some spots were very wet and slippery where the path looks like it’s almost been washed away. This is only the very end of the hike. Everything leading up to this part was easy. Butterflies and beautiful falls at the end is so worth it! I personally would not take young children or dogs passed the fallen tree.

I loved every step of the way.

Super easy hike. Trail has a lot of tree roots so be careful. Such a spectacular finish.

So beautiful and easy. Plenty of parking, decent campgrounds, and trail was well marked.

easy walk and a great waterfall at the end. one of the better ones around. trial was a little hard find from the parking lot. had to past the red gate at the end of the parking lot. you'll see the camo ground on the right, a dnr sign and just the left you'll see a marker saying kings falls.

It was an amazing waterfall and easy hike would definitely do it again!

Probably more moderate than easy for the last quarter mile. Really spectacular falls, powerful view. Will do this again.

Hiked 1/28. Amazing! Short and pretty easy. Like someone mentioned below, there is a tree you have to climb over near the falls that fell across the trail. A portion has been cut away so you can get over but it might be hard for people with bad knees or very poor balance. And there are a few smaller rocks/roots to climb down at the very end. The trail was a little muddy today and slippery in a few spots but I didn’t mind in boots. Plus I had it all to myself! Not one single person on it today but me! The falls are raging right now with all the recent rain. Park at the campground parking lot, cross the red gate, walk down a gravel road to the campsite. National Forest info board is at the campsite. Campsite is to the right. Continue to the left at the NF board and there will be a trailhead sign for King Creek Falls to the left that marks the trail. I posted some pics of the trail conditions and terrain (and the downed tree).

This is one of my all time favorites! It's super short, but fantastic. Narrow trail with tons of rhododendrons. The waterfall is a wonderful reward. Note that there is a very large tree down just around the corner from the falls. To be able to actually see the falls you must be able to holst yourself over it. I once saw an older couple coming in as we left and the woman couldn't get over, so she missed the waterfall entirely. I felt for her.

These falls are worth the trip out for sure! Tall, thunderous and powerful! On a hot day, there is a nice mist in the air. THis stop was a chilly winter day which made for a colder encounter than my July visit, but still worth every step. This is a very short and easy 1.7 which will fly by. You start by walking down a gravel road, then the trailhead proper is on your left once you arrive at the entrance to the camping site on your right. Pretty straight shot from there. Youtube Video I made about the falls: https://youtu.be/qAG0ZFT7XYs

Absolutely beautiful waterfalls! Only a few downed trees along the trail. With all of our recent rain the falls were magnificent!

We are here on a new years mini vacation and we have been doing a trail or two a day. So far this is our favorite. We got a little lost in the beginning but eventually found the waterfall and it was amazing.

Great hike into the falls this afternoon. There are a few trees down near the beginning of the hike after you get off the road to the campground but easy to navigate around. The falls were amazing! Looking forward to going back and exploring the area more!

After rain and snow, lots of falling trees needed to be careful and find ways to hike. But, falls itself is awesome and more than I expected.

Parking is at camp ground parking. Walk down gravel road a ways until you see the trail.head sign for the falls. The walk to the falls was beautiful. Very wooded, lots of ferns, roots to walk over, under canopy all the way with small creek running alongside part of the way. The falls were more than we anticipated. Nice short walk for a beautiful fall.

This waterfall is breathtaking! We couldn’t find the trailhead so we went down the gravel road about .3 mile to where the campground is... then the trail will be on the left a little passed the map sign...It is a awesome hike under trees from that point..Some places on trail are slick and narrow so be careful with children . We came only to hike to waterfall but ended up camping at their walk in campsites. They are first come first serve and free! They have fire pits and bear hangs for food so bears cannot get your food! There is a pit restroom which is very gross.. but everyone has to go sometime. Loved this Falls and the free campsite!