Learn more

Jones Gap Loop Trail is a 10.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cleveland, South Carolina that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 10.8 mi Elevation gain 1,945 ft Route type Loop

Photos (545)
Recordings (83)
Completed (192)
Ben Cosby
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu May 28 2020
HikingBlowdown

Great hike but the miles were definitely more than advertised. I had 12 on the dot on my Garmin and my wife had 11.6 on her Apple watch.

Hayden Blackwell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jan 26 2020
HikingBlowdownIcyRocky
View Hayden's Recording
Dan Livengood
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jan 05 2020
HikingMuddyRocky
View Dan's Recording
Rebecca Craigo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Oct 22 2019
View Rebecca's Recording
Allen Kirkland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Oct 16 2019
HikingRocky

Great trail. Should be rated hard. Would be far more populated if not for limited parking (which is a good thing).Get there early if you don’t want to be stuck at the gate waiting for someone to leave. Saw a black bear crossing the road 100’ from the park entrance. Dogs are supposed to be leashed. I had mine with me and had to come between him and 4 dogs that were just wandering ahead of their owners who didn’t leash them. So beware of that issue. I loved the hike was a great experience and definitely beautiful.

Jeremy Rhoades
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Oct 06 2019
View Jeremy's Recording
Karen Marie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Oct 01 2019
HikingRocky

My small dog was wore out but it was enjoyable. Made it only part way, to the falls, but a very good trail. Small challenges at times but good overall.

Jennifer Eubanks
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Sep 21 2019
Hiking

The jones Gap trail was great. The Tom Miller and Coldspring Branch not so much. Not much to see on those and should be rated as hard. It was about 12 miles overall. Jones Gap Trail can be done as an out and back and I think I’ll do that next time. The trails were well marked.

View Jennifer's Recording
Tom Dyszkiewicz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Sep 03 2019
Hiking

Good 3.1 mile round trip to the falls. Parts are very rocky. Mostly uphill going out and downhill coming back. Trail is well maintained.

T Clark
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Sep 01 2019
HikingRocky

Well marked trail with lots of rocks. Beautiful waterfalls small and large throughout.

And Bin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Sep 01 2019

We really enjoyed!!!!

Joshua Augustine
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 29 2019
Hiking

Absolutely beautiful hike all the way through

View Joshua's Recording
Nicholas Hall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 27 2019
Hiking

Beautiful hike today, especially along the river on old Jones turnpike. Neat to imagine all the horse and cart traffic of the late 1800s early 1900s. Saw a wild turkey and then came face to face with a black bear the cold springs trail. The bear didn't want to let me by so I doubled back to the Bill Kimball trail only to run into likely the same bear. With the detours ended up doing a thrilling 12.1 miles! I definitely want to camp off of the gap trail, it looked awesome.

Matt Shealy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 25 2019
Hiking

Beautiful trail. Well marked. there were many trees down on the trail, most of which tou could walk around but some required some climbing or crawling. We ascended on Coldspring branch trail. It was steeper than I anticipated but I was happy we went this way once we got to Tom Miller trail. TM trail is very steep. Once you connect back with Jones gap trail it is pretty easy all the way back. If you ascend on Coldspring branch and are filtering water, once you get to the Coldspring connector you may want to shoot down a bit and fill up water because your next realistic opportunity will be when you get to the end of Tom Miller trail. Stayed at site 15 which can accommodate two hammocks (more than that would require some creativity). The site doesn't have great access to the river but you can filter water about 150 yards further down the trail. Wonderful experience. I will be back.

Matthew Polito
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat May 11 2019
Hiking

wasn't the loop. just my usual lunch run to the falls and back

View Matthew's Recording
Michael Joy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Mar 23 2019
Hiking

Backpacked this over two days. Camped at site 12 (not the best site for a hammock). Over all this was a great trip that I would definitely do again.

Deana Mensche
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Feb 25 2019

friend and I did it yesterday traiks are marked great woukd do it again

Sean Hogan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jan 04 2019
Hiking

I pretty easy 11 mile trail with great views and several rapids and falls to check out along the way. The vertical doesn't seem that much when actually walking the trail as teh incline is gradual in plenty of spots. There are a few areas of greater vertical, but its not too bad. Video Review of Trail: https://youtu.be/PIYL1m2LrBY

Erica Bauer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Mar 28 2018
Hiking

My husband, daughter (10 years old) and I took the Jones Gap Trail and used the Coldsprings Trail to make it a loop. Saw several waterfalls, and had fun trying to make it over streams. The mountains were gorgeous. We ended up hiking about 10 miles. The trails are all well marked and are moderate difficulty level.

KLLever82 .
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Mar 02 2018
Camping

Our trip was on Oct 30th 2017. We backpacked in and camped at site 11, just before Jones Gap Falls. The portion of the trail we hiked to get to our camp site was gorgeous, fun and challenging at times with the rocky terrain. We LOVED site 11, it was roomy with the sounds of the river and nearby waterfall. I would have loved to stay longer and explore more of the trail, definitely plan to return to hike some more.

Graelyn H.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Feb 16 2018
Hiking

Great loop. The creek is gorgeous and there are more waterfalls than are marked on the map. Took me 5 hours with pauses to catch my breath. Definitely ascend on the Cold Spring Branch trail and descend on Tom Miller/Jones Gap — the Tom Miller trail is very steep.

Patricia Hatfield
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Nov 19 2017
Hiking

This was my first hiking experience. I enjoyed it immensely

Jeffrey Odom
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Nov 10 2017
Camping

Loved this hike. You can camp along the trail but you need to check in with a ranger. FYI site 14 is a long way to carry stuff. You will walk through small streams along the path of its been raining

Nicole Fireoved
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Aug 23 2017

I really enjoyed this trail. Will definitely be a repeat offender.

J D
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 17 2011

This is what a secluded stream valley should feel like. The forest canopy, mossy green rocks, the rich moist air and the sound of the river comforted me as we hiked. There are no broad vistas so we focused on the small sights - the plants and animals. It's a feel-good place, not an awe-inspiring one. Our walk-in campsite was perfectly situated from the trail, the river and the parking lot. We will return this summer.

Katya Corbin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 17 2020
View Katya 's Recording
Don Buckshi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun May 24 2020
Backpacking