I'on Swamp Interpretive Trail

I'on Swamp Interpretive Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Awendaw, South Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Charleston: Take US Hwy. #17 north to I'on Swamp Rd (Forest Rd #228). Turn left and drive 2 miles to the trailhead on the left.

Enjoyed it very much. Very easy. Lots to see and historical interest (rice paddies back in the day).

Hermit thrush, black & white warbler, downy woodpecker, chickadees, robins, and heard parulas ..... and gators!

Tucked deep in the Francis Marion National Forest, this primitive trail provides a temporary escape from civilized life. If you're looking for a way to hit the "reset button" this is your trail!

Meh. Not that fun. Flat, didn’t see any wildlife. Wouldn’t recommend going in late December.

This is my first trail I walked. It was nice and quiet. I saw a couple of birds and a few wild boar. It had not rained enough to prevent me from walking the loop. There are a couple of down trees laying across the trail, but nothing to hinder my pace. There are a lot of roots above ground and I would not recommend a bike or baby strollers. Some areas are a little over grown and will need trimmed back in spring (perfect place for snakes to hide). Would definitely recommend it for beginners. I really enjoyed it.

Easy, short hike — it’s an especially fun trail run. It being such a short hike is its only drawback. When there’s been a lot of rain, it can be impassable in parts.

Cool place. Print the trail guide before you go, it's much more fun this way. I would say, the trail is for quest lovers as you have to almost solve the directions puzzles to stay on the right trail :)

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Trail had great sights but we didn't hike on it long. very, very buggy. We couldn't stand still for even a second. We heard a lot of birds but did not have a chance to stop and look for what they were. We only walked up to the split but it was still very cool to see. We basically bathed ourselves in bug spray and still had an issue with the bugs. I would love to go back and hike the full loop when it isn't so buggy. The palms in the swamp we're very cool to see!

Thursday, March 02, 2017

Great easy loop trail with lots to see!

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Pretty, but disappointing - wildlife not in evidence. Terrible GPS directions from within app, but looked at recent hiker map to find trail head.

Monday, May 16, 2016

Great, short hike. Saw a mom and baby gator swimming around in the canal. Parts of the trail were a little overgrown but personally it added to adventure.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

is this trail stroller accessible?

Sunday, February 21, 2016

Eerily beautiful. Simple. Spotted a gator about 7 feet away! Wouldn't bring an animal who doesn't listen to commands. Also, wear rain boots (very soggy in some places) and definitely bring bug spray!

Sunday, November 01, 2015

Very nice walk in spring, fall and winter. Easy loop to stroll along. Pet friendly. Not crowded. Parts of the trail can be flooded out if it's rained allot recently. All wooded= shady. Interpretive signs along trail. As with any trail in lowcountry.... Bring bug spray.

Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Great hike through South Carolina history... Walking along inland rice fields from the 1700s.

Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Great hike! And easy for kids too.

Tuesday, March 08, 2011

This is a great scenic trail through the swamp however not very stoller friendly for those of you with toddlers. There are signs that inform about history as well as the land.

Sunday, May 22, 2016