I'on Swamp Interpretive Trail is a 3.1 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Awendaw, South Carolina that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.1 km Elevation Gain: 1 m Route Type: Loop

A fascinating walk through a wetland world, this historic, self-guided, interpretive trail traverses embankments built as far back as the 1700s. The embankments and ditches were built to create a patchwork of fields for rice production during the lucrative rice era of the low country.

Fun nature trail! Good for kids, but bring bug spray! We saw 2 alligators and 4 snakes. There was one spot with overgrown grass near a large swampy area that seemed like a prime spot for snakes and other critters to hide, but we just went quickly through that part.

We had a great walk on an early May afternoon at 4. Dappled sunlight, plenty of shade, spotted some crocs. Lots more cypress than I expected. Glad we didn’t bring my son and his bike because the roots wouldn’t be fun to bike over. Interesting history and appealing drive to the entrance made us grateful we made the jaunt.

flooded

Loved this easy trail. GO IN REVERSE DIRECTION. Turn right when you get to the loop because the left is flooded. You’ll have to go through water either way.

flooded

Really cool trail! Loved the swamp scenery along with many side adventures like trees to climb, puddles to jump, and smaller narrow passages. Definitely need to be on the lookout for snakes, but the sounds of the birds, other wildlife, and wind rustling the trees was a highlight! There is a small section (50ft?) where the trail is lost to deep puddles. We decided to pass through them anyway and the water was mostly ankle deep. Our suggestion is to take the trail backwards...so puddles are close to the end. Enjoy!

Great for families- trails were muddy in a lot of places and covered with water so we couldn’t make the whole loop. Saw 2 snakes and lots of cool insects. We were there about an hour. Did need bug spray.

I was excited for this trail, however, due to the rainstorm the day prior the beginning of the trail was extremely flooded and the first wildlife I saw was a water mocassin skating along the puddle. I immediately turned around and picked another trail.

Beautiful trail! Plenty of nature to see if you're looking. We walked slow so it took us just over an hour, but we saw River Otters, Alligators, and Water Moccasins. The trail is shaded for 90% of it and there's so much beautiful swamp fauna to look at.

Lovely springtime walk through swampy forest. It’s been dry, so trail was dry. No bugs today. Good trek for families, though trail is embedded with thick, ropey roots. Will not accommodate stroller. If it rains, use bug spray.

One of the best trails in the area in my opinion. I've been coming to this spot for years and it never gets old. Spotted 5 gators and a kingsnake on my last go. MUST BRING BUG SPRAY. Enjoy!

A very nice trail, full of character. Not very long or with any incline gain but sure a sight so see. For those that enjoy taking your time and look around this particular historical site has that. The swampy waters seems to has a black glass characteristic to it but if you look closely you can see a whole ecosystem working. Birds singing, Wild Flowers, A few Trees we climbed, and swung from vines. Just a nice trail. Kid Friendly and great for Family outing. On a side note. I wish pet owners would pick after their pets.

Really cool trail. Went when the weather was over-cast and 55-degrees. It was lovely. Minimal bugs, beautiful birds, cool hike without the excitement of alligators and snakes (which will be there as temps warm up!). Felt like a great adventure with 2 little boys. Bring bug spray. People leave walking sticks at the trailhead.

Unique trail near Charleston. We took 2 dogs and only made it about halfway. You’ll cross a bridge over some deep water and into untamed weeds/grass. We opted out as that’s prime gator/snake territory. Probably wouldn’t have ventured that far without dogs either. On the way back we took a different route out to the road. Almost stepped on a ~5’ snake, black in color. It scurried off real quick, but I don’t think it was venomous. Lots of mosquitos. Signs for gators, but didn’t see any. Recommend holding dogs on very short leash in some sections.

Apparently alligators are common on this swampy trail.

Visited trail 7/29/19. Trail was mostly nice except for the back section along a dike. It was extremely overgrown. We made it about 1/3 of the way through it before seeing a large unidentified snake in the weeds so we backed out. It's so thick that you cannot see what you're walking through. Bring plenty of bug spray, mosquitoes were pretty thick also.

Gentle walk through the woods. Not strenuous but a nice way to get out and enjoy nature in the charleston area.

Short, but packed with wildlife (including bugs) when we did it in late June. Definitely a swamp! Closed toed shoes are nice to have but not mandatory. Saw snakes and a cute little gator

Sat Apr 13 2019

Love this trail!!!! Can’t wait to come back. Saw some beautiful wildlife and enjoyed the catwalk. I can see how it could be muddy if it had recently rained.

Sat Mar 16 2019

Really fun walk with interesting walk along old rice dikes and cypress swamp. Having lived in the East Cooper are for over 30 years I’ve never encountered a trail quit like this. Took the hike in March. No bugs and no alligators. Easy walk and there are some side trails. Imagine that there could be alligators in warmer weather. Close to Sewee restaraunt an East Cooper culinary hot spot.

Sat Mar 09 2019

Very pretty and neat trail. We did not walk the more "off the path" trail due to some of our group being scared of the alligators but it was a very cool adventure for sure! we did come across 2 alligators shortly past the Shh.. alligators sleeping sign. they ended up being right past the bridge. I've never hiked a swamp similar to this before so it was definitely worth the experience! I hiked in early March and was able to do so in tennis shoes without it being muddy.

Sat Feb 23 2019

First time walking through a South Carolina swamp. No wildlife and no bugs.

Sat Feb 02 2019

Really cool cypress swamp.

Sun Jul 22 2018

As of 07/22/18, it was engulfed by the surrounding swamp due to a few solid days of heavy rain. Still an interesting hike.

Fri Jun 22 2018

Enjoyed it very much. Very easy. Lots to see and historical interest (rice paddies back in the day).